Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
Bare Bones

With christmas coming up I figure I deserve a new e-reader. Not that I really need one but the battery case on my Opus keeps popping off.
Good enough excuse for me!

Heres what Im looking for:

E-ink
No 3g or Wifi
Removable flash memory
Long battery life
I need something that crops margins. I use a lot of PDFs and Bookeen kind of screwed me and said "O well" with the last update.
Doesnt need to be extremely portable.

Any ideas?
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You'll struggle to buy one without WiFi these days. Is not having WiFi a specific requirement?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Its not a requirment but I dont want to be bound to a specific store.
I dont buy ipods for the same reason.

I got a Jetlite last year for my Moms christmas present, unfortunately it only reads 3 types of files.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're not bound to a particular store with either an iPod or a bookreader with a Wifi link to a particular store. An iPod will play MP3 files, which you can get from anywhere (not one of the several thousand MP3 files on my iPhone was bought from Apple); the fact that (to pick a random example) a Kindle has a link to Amazon doesn't restrict you to buying books from Amazon.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
BenBanned
Groupie

No its just set up to do something I will never do.
For example I listen to alot of flac. files but itunes has refused to recognise the format.
I listen to albums not singles.
Mp3 is a lesser quality format.
So ipod has nothing to offer me, other than the cult of mac.

My opus did exactly what I needed it to do, that is until they "updated".
Now I have to convert my pdfs to Epub (not pretty).
I would buy another Opus but the fact that they refuse to tell me how to downgrade my device erks me to no end.
Advert
Old 11-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
AnneT
Groupie
AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnneT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox i62HD, Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura H2O, Boox Poke Pro
I don't read so much pdf's, but I have the impression that the Onyx devices are very popular among pdf-readers. And in the threads in the onyx forum, I often read about them cropping the margins...

You won't be bound to a specific bookstore, however, you will only have the choice between a handfull of online stores to buy a Boox. (And for once, buying a Boox is easier for Europeans than it is for Americans.) Boox aren't really cheap however...
AnneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
My opus did exactly what I needed it to do, that is until they "updated".
Now I have to convert my pdfs to Epub (not pretty).
I would buy another Opus but the fact that they refuse to tell me how to downgrade my device erks me to no end.
Downgrading to another firmware version should be no problem with the Opus. Just copy this file to the sd-card and do the normal upgrade steps.
Which firmware are you looking for, epub 2.0 or mobi 1.7?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #8
BenBanned
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Downgrading to another firmware version should be no problem with the Opus. Just copy this file to the sd-card and do the normal upgrade steps.
Which firmware are you looking for, epub 2.0 or mobi 1.7?

Thank you so much!!

I wonder why Bookeen couldnt be bothered to tell me this.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 AM   #9
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
I think that what you are against is what is frequently called proprietary which in the IT industry (fancy way of saying computer industry) means when the item you need to buy is available from only one vendor. Often means that the vendor has the ability to set prices at what ever level they want, frequently very high prices. I share your distaste for proprietary computer equipment, which is one of the reasons that I do not buy apple. Let me give some examples of apple proprietary policies: the only place you are allowed to buy apps is at apple's app store and apple keeps tight control over what apps get listed and at what price they get listed. Kindle however is not as proprietary as apple is since:

1) kindle will except books that are translated to kindle format via software such as calibre, means that you can obtain your ebooks anywhere and translate them to kindle's format.

2) Several electronic book stores sell books in mobi format that can be loaded directly to the kindle via the USB cable provided, a process thta is frequently called side loading.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote