Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #1
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
black friday

I only went to one place this year...

WALMART!!!

I purchased some stupid digital picture frame for my wife (not as a gift).

I also took advantage of their 2 and 5 dollar DVD sale. I must have purchased around 70 of them total.

As I left the store around 1:30 AM some security dude at the front door checked my receipt and I shouted out "dont touch my junk."

What a great night.

------------

Anyone besides me get any good deals this black friday???
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I won't participate in it
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Stayed home in a warm bed; then worked yesterday evening. The store was dead (it's a grocery store, so we're not quite as prone to Black Friday madness).
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
The Black Friday sale is not just the night before. That is just when it begins.

It usually lasts until Saturday night.

Last edited by happy_terd; 11-27-2010 at 11:17 PM.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #5
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
I shopped Newegg for Black Friday sales. In my pajamas.

Wasn't too crowded there.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 11:31 PM   #6
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I sent my list with my daughters. While I was in my soft, warm bed they scored me some great deals!
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
I shopped Newegg for Black Friday sales. In my pajamas.

Wasn't too crowded there.
I did the same . Did you buy anyting? I almost purchsed Lenovo laptop for $399...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #8
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I did the same . Did you buy anyting? I almost purchsed Lenovo laptop for $399...
I bought a Keurig coffeemaker for my mom.
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:10 AM   #9
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I sent my list with my daughters. While I was in my soft, warm bed they scored me some great deals!
welcome to the forums cherry!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #10
tennoel
Enthusiast
tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tennoel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-300
I went, my main goal was to provide support for friends who were shopping hard core. I ended up getting coffee and toilet paper, and some cheap xmas gifts for my nieces. The best part was the thrill of the hunt
tennoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 03:11 AM   #11
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
I planned and prepared for my shopping adventure this year. I had the money and the willingness to spend it ... but I ended up with almost nothing to show for it. I literally ended up getting 6 pair of "fuzzy" socks from a Kohls special, and that was it. The deals this year just seemed very lacking. There wasn't one big thing that jumped out at me as a "must buy".

The ironic thing is the few things I did buy, I ended up getting from Craigs List -- and for cheaper than any of the holiday deals I could find online. I ended up getting my girlfriend 7 season sets of the TV show One Tree Hill for $40 (She's been dropping completely unsubtle hints that she wanted it for months now). Amazon wanted $124.99 just for 6 seasons. I got my brother an iPod and a car stereo system (since his last iPod was stolen when his car was broken into). I still want to pick him up a laptop for when he heads off for college in January, but the laptop deals I saw this weekend for were sub-par machines.

I'm just glad that I have the sort of family who won't sneer at a "used" gift. I know some people are really touchy about that kind of thing. Not everything I get is used of course, but when I see an awesome deal on Craigs List I jump at it.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:07 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
If there would have been something like Black Friday here, I'd simply stay in bed, in the full knowledge that the world consists of crazy people who'll leave their warm nest to go shopping for things they probably don't even need but will buy anyway because "it's cheap"...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:31 AM   #13
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
No Black Friday in The Netherlands, as Christmas wasn't a gift-giving tradition, until a few years ago. Our family goes for St Nicolas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinterklaas

I bought all my gifts for St Nicolas on 5 december; for us and the neighbors and their 3 girls….that was the easy part, as we had agreed not to spend more than $40 per person.
For the neighbors we'll put the presents in a jute bag; bang hard on their door and run away so they won't see who brought the gift.

Now the difficult one:
Each gift has to be accompanied by a poem: preferably a long one, mentioning the weak and strong points of the recipient. But always mild and funny. Some years I made about 40 poems; for every tiny present, traditional chocolate character (I get a J) or traditional marzipan pig.
This year I've only got 12 poems to compose.

A lot of family's also make a special project of their presents; they disguise it as something typical for the recipient. For example; a video-lover will get a present that looks like a video-recorder on the outside. The aim of this disguises: to have a laugh and to make it hard to get to the present.
We don't do it any more in our family, as it really can be a lot of work.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertblues View Post
A lot of family's also make a special project of their presents; they disguise it as something typical for the recipient. For example; a video-lover will get a present that looks like a video-recorder on the outside. The aim of this disguises: to have a laugh and to make it hard to get to the present.
We don't do it any more in our family, as it really can be a lot of work.
That's the part I always loved... I once made a huge lego brick with 2 wheels for my little brother.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
Was at my moms for the holiday and stayed there while my brother, who takes it quite seriously made his plans, studied the sales papers, planned his route, and, in general put way too much effort into it.

Has anyone else noticed though, that the sales keep starting earlier and earlier and run longer and longer now? Pretty soon it will black weekend, and it'll start on the Wednesday before!
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a happy_terd production