Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-24-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
avresbo
Enthusiast
avresbo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD / Kobo Libra H2O
Slow editing

I am editing an .epub, with Sigil, and it takes 15" to delet a "return". What is wrong? Thanks
avresbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Could be any or all of the following:

1. Your computer is too slow or it is doing something else at the same time that slows it down. Reboot and try again, before starting any other tasks. Try on another computer.

2. The .epub file is corrupt. Try editing another file and see if that is faster.

3. You are working with the file stored on slow memory. Copy the .epub to the desktop and edit it there.

4. The Sigil install is bad - reinstall and try again. Perhaps even a more recent version.

5. Something else...
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #3
n0rd
n0rd began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura & Kobo Aura H2O Ed.2
if the file it's big, then it's normal
Sigil code need to be optimized, i think
n0rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0rd View Post
if the file it's big, then it's normal
Sigil code need to be optimized, i think
Webkit needs to be optimized. I can only try to work around its deficiencies. That's why 0.2.0 will move away from single-flow editing towards multi-flow editing, to mitigate the performance impact that large XHTML files bring to Webkit "contentEditable" editing.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
Also, it's much much speedier to edit in code view. You might try that.
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #6
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkramer View Post
Also, it's much much speedier to edit in code view. You might try that.
that kind of defeats the purpose of a WYSIWYG editor, no?

i'm also experiencing problems. the app is slow to the point that it is absolutely unusable. it takes around 20 seconds to load a file if i'm lucky - half the time it just stops responding. once i get an epub to load, i can't even scroll without having to wait another 10 seconds for a refresh, let alone edit anything.

if i switch to code view everything is fine.

tried on half a dozen epub files, no luck at all.

Windows 7 x86
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
Valloric
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
that kind of defeats the purpose of a WYSIWYG editor, no?

i'm also experiencing problems. the app is slow to the point that it is absolutely unusable. it takes around 20 seconds to load a file if i'm lucky - half the time it just stops responding. once i get an epub to load, i can't even scroll without having to wait another 10 seconds for a refresh, let alone edit anything.

if i switch to code view everything is fine.

tried on half a dozen epub files, no luck at all.

Windows 7 x86
I feel for you. Believe me, I do. On the files I edit, I basically get the same user experience. Makes me infinitely sad and frustrated. Pissed off, as well.

Wait for 0.2.0. It'll be out in about three weeks, and it's a joy to use: loading huge files takes about 2 seconds, and since the XHTML files are not concatenated into one large one but left separate, you merely open the one you want to edit in a tab and it works reasonably fast. Several times faster than before, actually. This is because the smaller the flow loaded, the faster WebKit can respond. It gets slower exponentially depending on the size.

And since content files are now separate, I can multi-thread the loading process: every XHTML file needs to go through Tidy, and for each one a functor "task" is created. So 50 different content files, 50 different "tasks". These are then handed off to a thread pool that munches them in parallel until they are all done. The number of threads in the thread pool is equal the number of logical CPUs (cores and HT count) on your machine. So if you have a quad-core with HT (8 logical CPUs), it's going to get the loading done 8 times faster than some single-core machine. And it scales linearly. But even on my measly old Core 2 Duo, it loads large files in 2 seconds, not 20.

There's a great amount of MT optimizations that can be employed in this kind of architecture. A few (like the one I mentioned) will be used in the first release in the 0.2.0 branch, and more will follow later.

Until then, use Code View for large files.

EDIT: Oh if current Sigil "stops responding" during the loading procedure, it's actually still doing work. Just let it finish, it will return GUI control when it's done.

Last edited by Valloric; 02-03-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
garbanzo
bean
garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.garbanzo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Boox Nova 2
thanks for the info Valloric. i'm glad to hear there are improvements in the work.

we appreciate your hard work
garbanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:42 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Wait for 0.2.0. It'll be out in about three weeks, and it's a joy to use:
holy cow !! really ? zowie. that's very exciting. i can't wait to see what you've got in store for us in there...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
holy cow !! really ? zowie.
It's merely an estimate. It could be sooner, it could be later. With software development, you never really know.

But that's the ballpark.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
It's merely an estimate. It could be sooner, it could be later. With software development, you never really know.

But that's the ballpark.
oh, yes, i understand you can't predict down to the day. but i'm impressed you're counting in weeks, and not in months.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
oh, yes, i understand you can't predict down to the day. but i'm impressed you're counting in weeks, and not in months.
I guess it's better not to mention Bookeen's past predictions
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:26 PM   #13
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
After looking at a WYSIWYG editor's output for awhile, you start to recognize what it is adding. At that point it generally becomes easier to type the info directly, rather than using the GUI interface.

Another tip for those having trouble with slow response times: It might help, at least while performing some of the initial layout, to break larger book projects into smaller pieces. Find an acceptable response rate, make your edits and save. Then merge all of the files together just before performing final conversion.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
I've found it much faster to revert to an older release -- I'm using 0.1.4. That release is quite usable even for 2 or 3 megabyte epub files.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 PM   #15
Valloric

Quote:
Originally Posted by colinsky View Post
I've found it much faster to revert to an older release -- I'm using 0.1.4. That release is quite usable even for 2 or 3 megabyte epub files.
If you're reverting for speed, then use 0.1.5. It's the last release before Qt was updated in 0.1.6.

Last edited by Valloric; 02-03-2010 at 10:09 PM.