Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-07-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
NEW BookArmor hardshell case for PRS-505

just saw this on ebay...
http://cgi.ebay.com/BookArmor-Case-S...3%3A1|294%3A50

The Electronic BookArmor (tm) zipper case makes for the ultimate travel companion for your Sony eBook Reader. Your Sony Reader fits perfectly inside with the soft-cover on. Just slip the edges of the cover beneath the clear straps, and you're ready to go. Use your Reader without removing it from it's protective case, while it's held securely, yet still allowing for quick open and close ease of use. Protect your investment from dirt, scuffs, spills and breakage. The Electronic BookArmor (tm) zipper case will enable you to carry your Reader in your purse or luggage without worrying about something getting pushed into the screen and causing damage.
The case weighs 206 grams (7.3oz). For use with Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-505, PRS-700. Your reader is safe and protected from the jolts and jabs of the real world.

Construction:
The Electronic BookArmor (tm) zipper case is molded from thick layers of plastic and covered with durable abrasion resistant 600 Denier heavy weight fabric. Our BookArmor (tm) easily has twice the protection of any other similar product on the market. Double layers of molded plastic create a rigid outer protective shell for your electronic reader.

It is carried by the same place as the titanium box...

http://www.ecaddycase.com/

it looks tempting to me!!!

Last edited by gardenstate; 12-07-2008 at 06:21 PM.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstate View Post
Your reader is safe and protected from the jolts and jabs of the real world.
Interesting... will they put there money where their marketing is and provide a breakage warranty?

Of course, I always wondered if anyone collects on these warranties... like the $10,000 warranties that come with surge protectors. How do I prove I was using the device that is fried and didn't just buy the thing after the fact and then make a claim a week later.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Hmmm, no mention of whether it includes pockets for holding memory cards, etc.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:15 AM   #4
Nake
Nake began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
I just received the BookArmor zippered case; it's really sturdy. Hardly adds any bulk but seems to have good protection for the screen. The stock cover slips into little straps to integrate itself into the new zippered case. This will really help keep it from getting beaten up. If I had one wish, it would be that the front cover was overly engineered for maximum protection, just to be paranoid and safe. But as is, it will probably do a great job. No pockets for holding extra memory cards or anything else.

Last edited by Nake; 12-12-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Nake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:17 AM   #5
Nake

By the way, don't get the titanium box. It's built cheaper than an altoids box and is only titanium in color. It says that there's no titanium in it in small print. I ordered both the (allegedly) titanium box and the zippered cover; they were very gracious when I asked about returning the "titanium" cover. Real nice people to deal with, I recommend them but not the "titanium" cover.
Advert
Old 12-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Did you actuallt expect it to be a real titanium???

It is a tin box. But the one that perfectly fits the reader and I know of any other case that would protect the screen better than tin box.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:42 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The BookArmor case looks to me to be something you can get at Staples with an organizer inside and all that inside stuff removed and it just happens to fit the 505/700.

Last edited by JSWolf; 12-17-2008 at 07:53 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:03 AM   #8
Nake

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Did you actuallt expect it to be a real titanium???
I'd ask if you actually thought someone would be stupid enough to think that it would be constructed of titanium for $29.95, but I read a tone in your reply that in fact you probably did...

But I would have thought it would have been better constructed than it was. Seriously, it's tin thinner than an Altoids box. That part wasn't made clear.

At best I figured the titanium moniker was some sort of a marketing gimmick, like there was 0.1% titanium in it or something, but in any case at least constructed of something more substantial...

Last edited by Nake; 12-17-2008 at 01:08 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #9
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nake View Post
I'd ask if you actually thought someone would be stupid enough to think that it would be constructed of titanium for $29.95, but I read a tone in your reply that in fact you probably did...
Yup, I thought someone might think it is titanium following this line:
Quote:
and is only titanium in color
Which can be interpretted only as either you thought it was titanium and was disappointed, or you thought that someone might actually think so and you warn them.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
jbloudg20
Connoisseur
jbloudg20 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900 & K2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Of course, I always wondered if anyone collects on these warranties... like the $10,000 warranties that come with surge protectors. How do I prove I was using the device that is fried and didn't just buy the thing after the fact and then make a claim a week later.

BOb
Most people buy a Surge protector to protect their equipment from lightning strikes, when in fact it is virtually impossible to do anything stop that kind of a shock. Surge protectors will only prevent small spikes from your power company's generators from damaging your electrical equipment, and at least in my neck of the woods, it doesn't happen very often.

I would assume that when the disgruntled customer calls the surge company, and mentions the strike, or when the company researches the strike, the warranty is no longer valid, as stated in teh terms and conditions.
jbloudg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:55 PM   #11
DocHamm
DocHamm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The eBook Armor looks like the cat's meow for my PRS-505. I've looked at something similar for paperbacks but this looks better. It's added to my christmas list!!

Last edited by DocHamm; 12-18-2008 at 03:58 PM.
DocHamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:28 AM   #12
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
I ordered a book armour from ebay as the seller ships internationally and it arrived today. Oh my gosh - its FANTASTIC! I have the leather cover on my 505 and it fits in just beautifully, zips up safely and gives a hard cover front and back that also looks great. Now I have no problems throwing the reader in the old handbag with its multitude of potential hazards. It even has a handle that you can carry the book reader with. Just brilliant. Even hubby (non book reader full stop) commented on what a great asset it was for the reader ( probably as he paid for the reader). So from me its a big 10 out of 10 and I feel so much safer with the reader now and no longer have to hide it from the kids so they dont break it.

Natalie
loving her 505 - and book armour
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #13
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
The bookarmor description noted a plastic shell inside that serves as protection. Does it feel like a thick piece of plastic or a flexible thinner sheet?

thanks.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:14 PM   #14
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwinter View Post
Natalie
loving her 505 - and book armour
Natalie, does the BookArmor case have any pouches for storage of SD cards or a USB cable?
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:17 PM   #15
nwinter
Zealot
nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.nwinter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony PS-505, Iphone and about to add a Kindle DX
The plastic is definitely thick and is about 2-3 mm. I can not bend it in a hurry. The best way to describe it would be a little thicker than the plastic you would have at the bottom of a bag to stop it bending ( if that makes sense). Obviously you could bend it if you really really tried, but for the purpose of keeping the reader from getting the screen broken in a travel/handbag it will do the job.
nwinter is offline   Reply With Quote