Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #301
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchrodingersCat View Post
These tests were a good start, but it would be more conclusive if he'd sampled 10-100 of each device. Any statistician will tell you that a sample size of 1 gives you poor statistics.
You're making an obvious point. Shinew tested around 10 devices in the end and they all came out virtually the same. That's good enough for me. It would be impractical to expect him to go and test a 100 devices.

Btw: I have only one Kindle and I don't compare it to other devices. I compare it to my books, and the Kindle is readable in every situation where I can read a book in. It looks as good as any book I have, except for the ones printed on bright white paper. They're still better. The Kindle is *definitely* better than *any* of my mass market paperbacks.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-20-2012 at 05:14 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #302
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
You're making an obvious point. Shinew tested around 10 devices in the end and they all came out virtually the same. That's good enough for me. It would be impractical to expect him to go and test a 100 devices.

Btw: I have only one Kindle and I don't compare it to other devices. I compare it to my books, and the Kindle is readable in every situation where I can read a book in. It looks as good as any book I have, except for the ones printed on bright white paper. They're still better. The Kindle is *definitely* better than *any* of my mass market paperbacks.
10? I don't remember him saying that. Okay after rereading the thread he tested 2 K3s and 1 K4. I have seen two 2 K4s side by side and My K3. After Mercedes going through 4 K4s I think her argument is valid. The Two K4s I own had significant difference in contrast. It varies too much to let 2 units draw a conclusion. I think GeekMaster may be onto something about the calibration.

I agree on the mass market especially by St. Martins. I have alot of those and the print is tiny! I can read them but it takes alot of concentration or it will all run together.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-21-2012 at 12:17 AM.
Blossom is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #303
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, PW2, Galaxy Tab S
I personally have spent some time reading on k4 and kT. The k4 screen looks the same as my k3. the KT background looks noticeably darker. I'm not going draw inference from that. If I bought the KT I would return it. My brother agrees with me about the screen, but he's too busy/doesn't want to reload his books. He also has better eyesight. It's all up to the individual. It's your eyes, your money, your enjoyment.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #304
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
10? I don't remember him saying that.

I agree on the mass market especially by St. Martins. I have alot of those and the print is tiny! I can read them but it takes alot of concentration or it will all run together.
Sorry to disagree, but he did... In post 236.

"I've come across & examined 2x K3, 2x K4, and 4x K4 Touch."

Together with the two Nooks in previous tests (that were a bit different, but still in spec), that makes 10 devices.

I don't know if my Kindle 4 Touch could have been better. What I do know, is that it's better than the Cybook Gen3 I had some years ago, and it's better than most of my real books, if only because of the larger / thicker font settings. (And size and weight, add compared to some large books.)

Therefore I couldn't be more pleased, and I'll see in a few years what reader I'll be moving to
Old 01-21-2012, 04:11 PM   #305
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sorry to disagree, but he did... In post 236.

"I've come across & examined 2x K3, 2x K4, and 4x K4 Touch."

Together with the two Nooks in previous tests (that were a bit different, but still in spec), that makes 10 devices.

I don't know if my Kindle 4 Touch could have been better. What I do know, is that it's better than the Cybook Gen3 I had some years ago, and it's better than most of my real books, if only because of the larger / thicker font settings. (And size and weight, add compared to some large books.)

Therefore I couldn't be more pleased, and I'll see in a few years what reader I'll be moving to
Oh okay I thought you mean 10 total of K3s and K4s.

This isn't about the Kindle Touch. I haven't heard many complain about its screen. I'm sure there may be a few out there just like there are a few K3s with the problem.

This is about alot of K4's screen not having as a good as contrast as the older K3s so only testing 1 even 2 K4s and K3s can't prove anything. Mercedes was explaining she went through 4 replacements till she got one that had good contrast.

If you never used a pearl screen you will never notice the difference because vizplex vs the K4, the K4 is a huge improvement. If you used a reader with pearl like the K3 or Sony and then go to a K4 that isn't tuned correctly it's like taking a step back somewhere between vizplex and pearl.

My first K4 looked like a Vizplex text with a very dark grey background. It ghost white! The replacement is much better but not quite there. My K3 has amazing contrast. The background is creme color and the text deep black. No matter what angle I hold it the contrast or background doesn't change.

It took some getting use to using the K4 but after changing to a blacker font and upping the font size I now can use it as long as I don't go try using the K3 I forget it's better.
Advert
Old 01-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #306
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

Hm, ok. Didn't know that the Touch-based Kindle possibly is not affected. If you are looking at Kindle 3 and 4-NT's only, and not counting other readers with Pearl-screens, then Shinew indeed didn't test 10 devices.

No matter... The Kindle is not widely used in The Netherlands. Most people get a Sony eReader here, because it's the easiest to get, and one of the very few that doesn't need to be imported. (Therefore it's also one of the cheaper readers here.)

As I don't like to swipe to turn the page (you can't hold the reader with one hand, and then swipe with the same hand, at least I can't) and was afraid of it's reported software problems, I didn't get that one. With regard to Barnes&Nobles, I'm in doubt about their market position at the moment. I didn't dare to get the Kobo Touch because of flimsy build quality, according to reviewers, as compared to the Kindle. Therefore I basically landed with the Kindle automatically.

Didn't really care about absence of epub, knowing that I have the computer knowledge to find out how to convert from any format toward any format if need be, now or in the future.

I'll probably never see another Kindle until the day I upgrade... (assuming I stay with it).

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-21-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #307
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Hm, ok. Didn't know that the Touch-based Kindle possibly is not affected. If you are looking at Kindle 3 and 4-NT's only, and not counting other readers with Pearl-screens, then Shinew indeed didn't test 10 devices.

No matter... The Kindle is not widely used in The Netherlands. Most people get a Sony eReader here, because it's the easiest to get, and one of the very few that doesn't need to be imported. (Therefore it's also one of the cheaper readers here.)

As I don't like to swipe to turn the page (you can't hold the reader with one hand, and then swipe with the same hand, at least I can't) and was afraid of it's reported software problems, I didn't get that one. With regard to Barnes&Nobles, I'm in doubt about their market position at the moment. I didn't dare to get the Kobo Touch because of flimsy build quality, according to reviewers, as compared to the Kindle. Therefore I basically landed with the Kindle automatically.

Didn't really care about absence of epub, knowing that I have the computer knowledge to find out how to convert from any format toward any format if need be, now or in the future.

I'll probably never see another Kindle until the day I upgrade... (assuming I stay with it).
I plan to get a T1 someday. I really like the device but I picked up a Kindle Fire instead. I love my Fire and use it for everything but I read most on the K4. I got to have page buttons or I wind up turning the page accidentally of course I do this on the K4 more so then I did on the K3 but on a touch device I think swiping with my thumb would be safer then touching the page which I do alot on the Fire and it fast forwards 10 pages.
Old 01-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #308
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

LOL. Don't have a problem with that. I always hold my book with my thumb and three fingers, making sort of a "stand" from my hand. I can do that left or right handed. I also hold my 10 inch tablet that way; I do this with books that are quite heavy, even. (No, the hardcover edition of Lord of the Rings, or The Icewind Dale Trilogy is too heavy I put them onto a table.)

I was always annoyed that I had to change my grip and use my other hand to actually turn pages, and books that are not made to lay flat tend to want to close when you hold them like that, especially paperbacks. So... I just figured: if I hold an eReader like this, and it has a touchscreen and tap functionality, then I can tap-to-turn with my thumb, and it will be lighter than most of the paperbacks I have, and it doesn't close.

It seems I was quite right about that with the Kindle (it works well for me, having read two books on the Kindle already), and the screen is good enough to match any of my pockets, so I didn't look any further anymore, to be really honest

Now I'm waiting for a reader that can be both e-ink and LCD-like at once, because I don't really like reading lights.... but having multiple reading devices, a K4T for normal reading and a Kindle Fire for reading in bad light is a bit over the top for me

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-21-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #309
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
LOL. Don't have a problem with that. I always hold my book with my thumb and three fingers, making sort of a "stand" from my hand. I can do that left or right handed. I also hold my 10 inch tablet that way; I do this with books that are quite heavy, even. (No, the hardcover edition of Lord of the Rings, or The Icewind Dale Trilogy is too heavy I put them onto a table.)

I was always annoyed that I had to change my grip and use my other hand to actually turn pages, and books that are not made to lay flat tend to want to close when you hold them like that, especially paperbacks. So... I just figured: if I hold an eReader like this, and it has a touchscreen and tap functionality, then I can tap-to-turn with my thumb, and it will be lighter than most of the paperbacks I have, and it doesn't close.

It seems I was quite right about that with the Kindle (it works well for me, having read two books on the Kindle already), and the screen is good enough to match any of my pockets, so I didn't look any further anymore, to be really honest

Now I'm waiting for a reader that can be both e-ink and LCD-like at once, because I don't really like reading lights.... but having multiple reading devices, a K4T for normal reading and a Kindle Fire for reading in bad light is a bit over the top for me
The Kindle Fire was bought for reading but I use it for a mini PC. Seldom read books on it. I have really small hands so I can't hold a reader like you mention. I bought a case with a hand holder for my K4 so I can read with one hand. If I try without it it always slips out of my hands and into my lap where the kitty is and she doesn't like getting thump with it.

Paperbacks I use two hands to read with. I am very cautious not to open them too far and cause a crease that would make me upset if I damage one of my books.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #310
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer

The caution I have to have while reading a current day paperback, to make sure that the spine does not break, is even worse than having to read a Kindle with a black screen *and* black letters
Old 01-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #311
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kobo Mini
I bought a kindle touch tonight (they got them back in at my local Target) and my experience seems to be a little different to most. Between my kindle touch and kindle keyboard, the screen contrast looks better to my eyes on the touch. The background on my touch is a whiter gray than on my kindle keyboard. I really like the contrast on my new touch.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 AM   #312
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
I bought a kindle touch tonight (they got them back in at my local Target) and my experience seems to be a little different to most. Between my kindle touch and kindle keyboard, the screen contrast looks better to my eyes on the touch. The background on my touch is a whiter gray than on my kindle keyboard. I really like the contrast on my new touch.
No, you're not different from most. Most people in this thread have said their K4 or Touch screen is as good as or better than their K3. The same few people keep saying theirs are worse, which makes it seem like more people.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #313
ThomasC
Thunder Down Under
ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.ThomasC is faster than slow light.

Device: kindle dxg, K3, K4nt, iPhone
Quote:
Actually, this thread is about the K4NT but it's good to hear that you are happy with your new touch. How old is your K3 keyboard btw? Some have reported best ones were made in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeschr View Post
No, you're not different from most. Most people in this thread have said their K4 or Touch screen is as good as or better than their K3. The same few people keep saying theirs are worse, which makes it seem like more people.
I do not agree with this. Most seem to agree that the K4NT (Touch is not included in this thread btw) has a greyer backgound colour than the K3's. Given the large number of K4NT returns, we can only hope that Amazon finally get's the message, lol!

Cheers,
Tom
ThomasC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:45 AM   #314
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Congrats! I haven't heard too many say the KT has a dark screen It's the K4 that seems to vary in contrast more than the others. I've heard that the KT has ghosting issues on some units but I think that's the only issue I am aware of.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #315
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Congrats! I haven't heard too many say the KT has a dark screen It's the K4 that seems to vary in contrast more than the others. I've heard that the KT has ghosting issues on some units but I think that's the only issue I am aware of.
Thanks Blossom! Oh I see, I thought it was both the the k4 and the touch. I love the touch so far. I got so used to using touch with my fire, that I thought I'd try the e-ink touch, even though I do still like my kindle keyboard. I like the touch better though.

I notice ghosting on my kindle touch only on the menu pages. It's definitely worse on my touch on menu pages than on my kk. I don't notice it really on my kk. On my touch when I'm reading a book, it's fine though and it doesn't have ghosting at all then. I have it set to refresh every page because I'm fussy like that. lol. I don't mind it much on the menus. I guess the page refresh setting only means while reading since the menus have it noticeably on the touch.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote