Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-29-2018, 03:04 AM   #1
fren45
fren45 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad Air, E-pub
Underlined Text not changing to italics

Hello everyone, so I am rather new to this, especially working with calibre. Currently, I am editing an ebook and am trying to change underlined text to italics, for things such as internal dialogue. However, every time I have tried adding italics in the text, or adding the css code on the stylesheets, it only removes the underline, but never adds italics. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Below is what the code and text looks like originally, and then when I change it.
Thanks again.

CSS Stylesheet

.calibre7 {
display: block
}
.scenebreak {
display: block;
page-break-before: avoid;
text-align: center;
text-indent: 0%;
padding: 0;
margin: 1em 0
}
.text_ {
text-decoration: underline
}
.whitespace {
margin: 3.5em 0 0
}

Text in book,

...child listened to their instructions.</span></p>
<p class="block_1"><span class="text_">Oh please,</span><span class="calibre2"> felt himself mutter in a half-conscious prayer. He was not a religious man, but this was his final opportunity. He had failed so many times before . . . </span></p>

...child listened to their instructions.
Oh please, felt himself mutter in a half-conscious prayer. He was not a religious man, but this was his final opportunity. He had failed so many times before . . .

Edited CSS Stylesheet

.calibre7 {
display: block
}
.scenebreak {
page-break-before: avoid;
text-indent: 0%;
margin: 1em 0
}
.ital {
font-style: italic
}
.whitespace {
margin: 3.5em 0 0
}

Text after edit

child listened to their instructions.</span></p>
<p class="block_1"><span class="text_">Oh please,</span><span class="calibre2"> felt himself mutter in a half-conscious prayer. He was not a religious man, but this was his final opportunity. He had failed so many times before . . . </span></p>

...child listened to their instructions.
Oh please, felt himself mutter in a half-conscious prayer. He was not a religious man, but this was his final opportunity. He had failed so many times before . . .

Thanks again for any help.
fren45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:17 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
If you change the name of the class in CSS from "text_" to "ital" you also need to change it in the HTML. Or you could just leave the class name the same in both places.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:20 AM   #3
fren45
fren45 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad Air, E-pub
Thanks Jhowell! I tried doing a find all and replace, and it seemed to work once I transferred the Epub to Ibooks, after I changed the html as well as the css. Apparently, the css does not automatically change the html as well.
fren45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 09:46 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fren45 View Post
Thanks Jhowell! I tried doing a find all and replace, and it seemed to work once I transferred the Epub to Ibooks, after I changed the html as well as the css. Apparently, the css does not automatically change the html as well.
It has now way to know that your CSS 'edit" was really supposed to be a "change". You could have been just correcting a spelling mismatch.

The only 'rename' functionalities are imposed from the file Browse and those are on a context menu. They adjust all the file references throughout
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
I would have just changed text_ in the css file from text-decoration: underline to font-style: italic. Then there would be no need to do a find and replace of the class in the HTML files.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote