Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H20, Kindle Paperwhite 5, 16 gb version
Unhappy Aluratek Libre Pro Is Suddenly "Losing" Words

Ok, this is weird. I was reading a MOBI/PRC book on my Aluratek Libre Pro (2+ years old) and noticed missing words. Naturally I thought I'd gotten a poorly proofed copy but when I checked the file in both MobiReader and Kindle for PC, there were no errors, the full text was there. Adjusting the font size on my device did not resolve the issue, nor did deleting the book and copying it back again. I managed, finally, to make it more readable by taking it into Calibre and converting to Mobi again with heuristics on. That restored the "missing" words but made for some odd line breaks and spacing. The book in question was not previously converted, I only buy Mobi and Epub books unless those formats are not available, so I haven't a clue why or how this happened. Also, I have noticed the same thing happening with other books, "missing" words and bits of sentences/punctuation where previously they looked fine -- and still do, just not on that reader. Naturally I checked the SD Card but found nothing wrong with that and my battery was full at the time.

I have noticed lately my reader does not hold a charge as well as it originally did, also is not quite as reliable about how full the battery actually is -- the bar has at times gone from two-thirds to empty in less than a minute after turning it on and I find myself recharging more frequently. Is this a sign the poor thing is dying on me or is there a (hopefully) simple fix?

Oh, forgot to mention my firmware is also the latest version but I see they haven't updated it in about a year.

Byrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
The battery issues are normal for ageing Lithium batteries.

The disappearing words are ... interesting. Is there a way to reset the reader back to factory presets?
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
It has the same built in Diagnostic screen as the jetBooks.

To enter the diagnostics screen:
Reset the device. Then hold down three buttons. They are: "on/off" "zoom" and "menu". When you see the jetBook screen let go of "on.off". Keep holding the "zoom" and "menu" keys until you see a 16 item screen. It's tricky, so it may take a couple of tries.

Then you can restore the JBL to factory defaults.

After that is done reset the JBL.

The "reset" is the reset button on the back.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-19-2013 at 12:49 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Byrdie
Walking Library
Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byrdie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did not get any notices so I didn't see your replies 'til now. Thanks, I'll try resetting it and see if that helps. Probably can't hurt, eh? It'll be 3 years old middle of next month and I think I read on their forum that the battery is only good for around 3 years, so I guess I'd better start looking around for a replacement.

Oh, forgot to mention it also randomly reboots and sometimes flips all the way back to the main menu -- of the reader, not the book, mind you! -- when I'm reading. Which is really annoying when you're in the "big reveal" scene of a mystery and you turn the page anticipating the killer's identity only to be confronted with your Recent Readings, E-Books and Settings lists.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
alg2468
alg2468 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Velocity Cruz T301, EZReader, Iview 435TPC, Wikireader
Somewhere on this forum there are photos and instructions on how to replace the battery for the Jetbook (and similar Libre) if you wish to do so. The battery lasts longer if you push the reset button on the back of the reader when you are not using the reader; it shuts off the battery and saves power, but start up is longer when you turn it on again.
alg2468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #6
Byrdie
Walking Library

Been doing the trick with the reset button and it's helped some. However, I cannot replace the battery using any of the instructions I found as being legally blind my tinkering days are pretty much over and I have no tech-savvy friends able to assist. In fact, I AM the tech-savvy friend. Guess I'll just have to nurse the battery along as much as I can until I can get a new tablet or reader, hopefully sometime next month when there's a back to school sale on.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
Been doing the trick with the reset button and it's helped some. However, I cannot replace the battery using any of the instructions I found as being legally blind my tinkering days are pretty much over and I have no tech-savvy friends able to assist. In fact, I AM the tech-savvy friend. Guess I'll just have to nurse the battery along as much as I can until I can get a new tablet or reader, hopefully sometime next month when there's a back to school sale on.
buy the nook glow.its only £29

binatone £24
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #8
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdie View Post
i got the alurak too.its screen is rubbish and hard to read with greenish tinge.only decent thing is the file browser.

battery takes 5 hours to charge and degrades quickly.

i don't use it anymore.

why don't you upgrade to the 21st century and buy a nook?

readability is 10000 times better.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #9
Byrdie
Walking Library

Thanks, all! Got myself a Samsung tablet when they went on sale this week, been busy setting it up. Had a few panicky moments when none of the reader apps I'd found worked the way I wanted but I got that sorted and now I'm a happy camper. Even my .pdfs look great and I don't need to futz about with anything other than the font size to read 'em. Could never do that on my old reader. :-)