Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
A Brief Review of the SmartQ V7, pt 1

I just posted the first part of a review of the SmartQ V7 over on The Digital Reader. The SmartQ 7 has been reviewed extensively, but I haven't seen a review of the V7 yet. I also haven't seen a side by side comparison of the 2 models.

Here are the highlights:
Quote:
I've been playing with the V7 for a couple hours now, and I can't see any significant improvement in its performance over that of its predecessor. This is something of a relief for me because I've so desperately wanted a V7 ever since it was announced.
My Opinion

I haven't used the Android or WinCE firmwares yet, so I can't comment on them. But I will say that I like the these tablets as general e-readers, and I'm beginning to lean towards recommending the V7 over it predecessor. I wouldn't replace an existing SmartQ 7, but if I was making a new purchase I would get a SmartQ V7. I think the extra RAM, Flash, and OS options might be worth the extra cost ($189 vs $225 at Eletroworld). On the other hand, the SmartQ 7 is a very adequate in its own right, and you should ask yourself if you really need the extra features.

Last edited by Nate the great; 03-31-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
recycledelectron
Groupie
recycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-booksrecycledelectron has learned how to read e-books

Device: Lifebook T5010
Quote:
I've been playing with the V7 for a couple hours now, and I can't see any significant improvement in its performance over that of its predecessor. This is something of a relief for me because I've so desperately wanted a V7 ever since it was announced.
I've got both a Q7 and a V7. I still use my Q7 and keep the V7 as a back-up for when my Q7 fails. (I expect the life of one of these to be about 1 year in a school teacher's life.

Quote:
I haven't used the Android or WinCE firmwares yet
They are 95% Chinese, 5% English.

Quote:
I will say that I like the these tablets as general e-readers, and I'm beginning to lean towards recommending the V7 over it predecessor. I wouldn't replace an existing SmartQ 7, but if I was making a new purchase I would get a SmartQ V7. I think the extra RAM, Flash, and OS options might be worth the extra cost ($189 vs $225 at Eletroworld). On the other hand, the SmartQ 7 is a very adequate in its own right, and you should ask yourself if you really need the extra features.
I disagree. I've recommended the Q7 as the replacement for our text books, due to it's lower cost. The cost is critical when a student could break their only text book / scantron / note pad, and need a replacement on a college student's budget instantly. Of course, I was looking at a $60 price gap, not the $36 price gap you cited.

The article says that both the Q7 and V7 have bluetooth and wifi. Not exactly. The Q7's bluetooth is through a USB dongle.

One more thing, I've lost a few styluses during my pilot project. Does anyone know where I can get a 5-pack of Q7 / V7 styluses? Price is not critical, but I do want to order a 5-pack without hassle.

Andy

Last edited by recycledelectron; 03-31-2010 at 06:38 PM.
recycledelectron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
lautunno
lautunno began at the beginning.

Device: cybook
Angry Smart Q V7 - beware where you buy it! Avoid buying from Allpmp

I bought a Smart Q V7 end of last year from http://www.allpmp.com/
While using it, the first day it happened that the boot wasn't possible anymore.

I contacted Allpmp and they assigned me a number. I sent the package and they confirmed by email they received it.
The point is it was three months ago!

I sent a couple more email, definitely ignored.
Great customer care!

About the device: unfortunately I had it in my hands a couple of hours, but my first impression is that it isn't robust at all, really "plastic".
I'd have loved to play a little bit more though!
lautunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
jean-pierre34
jean-pierre34 began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ V7
V7

I have just acquired a SmarQ V7 when setting are to be chosen it asks how much space i want on the RAM for video
has any one any idea how much it is reasonable to allocate ?

jean-pierre34 is offline   Reply With Quote