Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #61
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Ohh, maybe somebody here can help me!

There was this book, I read when I was 11 or 12.

I hardly remember the story, but one fact did stick in my mind.

It was about a boy, a slave, who escaped his slavery. He had a medallion, it was his and it proved he was some kind of king (I think it was) in some faraway land. I don't really remember the story, except that that medallion was very important.
Spaceballs?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #62
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Dragon's Egg, by Robert Forward?
Marc
Thanks for that. Can't find the book but I did find some other interesting titles by the same author at Baen and have purchased two.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #63
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Spaceballs?
It had nothing to do with space! It was more medieval, if I remember correctly.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:35 AM   #64
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
It had nothing to do with space! It was more medieval, if I remember correctly.
Sorry, it was kind of a joke. I'm a terrible person and can never pass up an opportunity to talk about Spaceballs..
Old 01-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #65
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Sorry, it was kind of a joke. I'm a terrible person and can never pass up an opportunity to talk about Spaceballs..
That's just wrong...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #66
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
That's just wrong...
Spaceballs the toilet paper!
Spaceballs the lunchbox!
Spaceballs the FLAMETHROWER! *whoosh* The kids love this one.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #67
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Spaceballs the toilet paper!
Spaceballs the lunchbox!
Spaceballs the FLAMETHROWER! *whoosh* The kids love this one.
May the Schwartz be with you...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:25 PM   #68
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
It was about a boy, a slave, who escaped his slavery. He had a medallion, it was his and it proved he was some kind of king (I think it was) in some faraway land. I don't really remember the story, except that that medallion was very important.
Any chance that was "Cleopatra's Heir" by Gillian Bradshaw?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:12 AM   #69
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
May the Schwartz be with you...

-MJ
Time to jam this post...

(yes, I do have Spaceballs on DVD in my DVD collection)

I probably will never find out... I think it was a young adult or children's book, considering the time I read it. Though, even at 12, I was often found at the adult section of the library.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 02:57 AM   #70
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale View Post
2 books:

- The story is about a girl and a boy and a fence...it's during a war and they're people who are eating other humans "purples" and others who are not or something like that. The boy and girl communicate through the fence; I don't think they ever meet. Something about XZ27...at one point a small boy is approaching a group of people and they have meat cooking over a fire but he is yanked back at the last minute by another boy who warns him that the meat he is seeing used to be another little boy...*sigh* I read this years ago and I've tried to find it ever since.
The only thing I could find was Brother In The Land by Robert Swindells, which seemed to be reasonably close, with specific reference to "purples" and cannibalism.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 01-09-2009 at 03:03 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:03 AM   #71
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alehel View Post
The main character (whose name escapes me) returns to the house were he grew up after having gone through a very rough time in his life (divorce and arguments about the kid if I remember correctly???). But when he arrives at the house he grew up in and enters it, he discoveres to his shock that his mother, whose been dead for several years is there, acting as though she's never been gone.

Basicly it's some kind of psychological fiction book. Any ideas anyone?
For One More Day, by Mitch Albom sounds similar. Is that it?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 01-09-2009, 03:07 AM   #72
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
This one is a movie and the details are sketchy. It is in Spanish, the action takes place mostly in Cuba. A young boy is taken by his father from Castro's Cuba to Miami. After he grows up and his father dies, he sets out to find his mother. He goes to Cuba and hooks up with a cab driver and they travel all over hellandgone looking for his mother. The ultimate scene is where they are sitting in what they belieive to be her house and a small figure is seen walking slowly towards the camera. Driving me nuts, trying to come up with the name of that movie...
Honey For Oshun (Miel Para Oshun) perhaps?

Cheers,
Marc
Old 01-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #73
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Honey For Oshun (Miel Para Oshun) perhaps?

Cheers,
Marc
Yes! How did you find that? (I know, you switched on the Way Back Machine and sat in your underwear in an endless time loop for five years looking at every Spanish Language film ever made or yet to be made, for which I am forever grateful, but really...)
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #74
ChipnDale
Rescue Rangers
ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChipnDale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by xianfox View Post
Possibly "Brother in the Land" by Robert Swindells?

You seem to have a very...uhm...interesting taste in reading.
Thank you for the suggestion.

Quote:
The only thing I could find was Brother In The Land by Robert Swindells

Marc
Thank you, I'll have to read this book to be sure but from the description this could very well be it .
ChipnDale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:27 AM   #75
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Yes! How did you find that? (I know, you switched on the Way Back Machine and sat in your underwear in an endless time loop for five years looking at every Spanish Language film ever made or yet to be made, for which I am forever grateful, but really...)
Pfft. No offense, but I've better things to do with my time than watch five years worth of Spanish Language films. All that internet pr0n won't watch itself! Coincidentally though, the underpants thing was right.

Cheers,
Marc

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths