Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
harpangel36
Connoisseur
harpangel36 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Factory Reset and Hacks

Unfortunately it looks like I must do a factory reset on my K3. It will not update to 3.3 and no one at Amazon seems to know why, except that I possibly deleted a file that the software needed. I have the screensaver hacks installed. Do I need to uninstall them before I do the factory reset? Are there instructions on how to re-install it with when I update to the new 3.3 firmware?
harpangel36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I think I know the correct answer, but since I don't have a K3 and haven't been keeping current I don't want to give you bad advice. If you repost in the Fonts and Screensaver Hacks thread of the Kindle Developer's Corner subforum you will get lots of fast and accurate help on this topic... good luck, and welcome to the forum!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 04:24 PM   #3
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
As far as I know a factory reset will wipe everything except the jailbreak.

The info directory will be gone but JB will stay.You can also do a manual update to 3.3.
You can uninstall your JB if you have the uninstall file, the new one works with 3.3 and have some fixes. I wold leave it alone if it is a recent one.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #4
BigFuzzyArchon
BigFuzzyArchon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I had same issue and solved it by uninstalling the jailbreak. I had the older 0.4 version of the jailbreak and used the uninstaller from this zip http://yifan.lu/files/kindle-3.1-jailbreak.zip and then installed 3.3 just fine
BigFuzzyArchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #5
harpangel36
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFuzzyArchon View Post
I had same issue and solved it by uninstalling the jailbreak. I had the older 0.4 version of the jailbreak and used the uninstaller from this zip http://yifan.lu/files/kindle-3.1-jailbreak.zip and then installed 3.3 just fine
Did you uninstall the screensavers first or the jailbreak first?
Advert
Old 10-26-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool last

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpangel36 View Post
Did you uninstall the screensavers first or the jailbreak first?
jailbreak is always last out (first in, last out).
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 PM   #7
harpangel36
Connoisseur

Thanks!!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:00 PM   #8
harpangel36
Connoisseur

How can I tell that all hacks have been removed from my Kindle before I factory reset it?