Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-25-2018, 07:35 AM   #1
Minglewood
Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Glow
Does anyone use Earthlink news servers?

If so, have you been out of service? I've not been able to access BOTH Eartthlink's east and west news servers for about two weeks. Tech support baffled. Any thoughts?
Minglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minglewood View Post
If so, have you been out of service? I've not been able to access BOTH Eartthlink's east and west news servers for about two weeks. Tech support baffled. Any thoughts?
Sounds like pretty sucky tech support. Is Earthlink your ISP? ISP usenet has been sucky since 1999, you should look for a commercial nntp server. Frugal and Ninja have pretty good deals.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
Minglewood
Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Minglewood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
Sounds like pretty sucky tech support. Is Earthlink your ISP? ISP usenet has been sucky since 1999, you should look for a commercial nntp server. Frugal and Ninja have pretty good deals.
Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 05-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Not sure if this applies to you but when I checked, my ISP's DNS servers did not resolve news.west.earthlink.net, news.east.earthlink.net, nntp.earthlink.net or news.earthlink.net. Retrying the lookup against Google's DNS servers, came up with news.east.earthlink.net, news.west.earthlink.net and nntp.earthlink.net all resolving to the same IP address of 216.168.4.170 which was pingable while news.earthlink.net resolved to 209.86.52.64 which was not pingable.

On a Windows machines, open a command prompt and type in "nslookup news.east.earthlink.net" and see if it returns an IP address. If not, try "nslookup news.east.earthlink.net 8.8.8.8" and see what it returns. Remove the ";s from the strings.

Code:
C:\Users\David>nslookup news.west.earthlink.net 8.8.8.8
Server:  google-public-dns-a.google.com
Address:  8.8.8.8

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    earthlink.us.supernews.com
Address:  216.168.4.170
Aliases:  news.west.earthlink.net
          nntp.earthlink.net
          earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net

C:\Users\David>nslookup news.west.earthlink.net
Server:  removed
Address:  removed

Name:    news.west.earthlink.net
Good luck.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:31 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Earthstink still has news servers?

I thought east and west combined long ago (both resolved into news.earthlink.net)
There support as so sucky (and they lied about availbility regularly).

I switched to APN (remarked by Forte news reader folk) when the ISP I switched my DSL to dropped NNTP service (was almost the same servers as Forte used)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:52 AM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Over here in Oz, usenet has been dropped by every ISP/RSP. If you want it, you have to have a commercial offering. I take blocks with Astraweb. Still have 800GB or so left on my last 1TB purchase some 3 years ago. The blocks dont expire.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:14 PM   #7
Minglewood

Sincere thanks to all who viewed and replied. David thanks for the tip on nslookup. Got supernews to work. Ducks, thanks for the APN suggestion. A viable choice should I go down the subscriber road.
Old 05-27-2018, 12:10 AM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Days of yesteryear!

A son of mine worked for Mindspring, which joined Earthlink (Feb 2000),and I used them for a while on "DIALUP." Are you using dialup with your service?

He has moved on now to other employ and doesn't know about your problem.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:25 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Sincere thanks to all who viewed and replied. David thanks for the tip on nslookup. Got supernews to work. Ducks, thanks for the APN suggestion. A viable choice should I go down the subscriber road.
Your welcome.
APN part of Forte still exists. Unfortunately, Agent newsreader is not getting patched (there is a Date, filter expire bug) nor updated (MAPI support for the Mail portion)

Still, Agent 7 beats out others I have tried (PAN only looks like Agent)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote