Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2017, 10:19 AM   #331
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasser View Post
Tried changing the assignment of the "End" key to the second modifier key - "mod 2", in PW3.
Though the key image changes when i press the second modifier key, there is still no action.
The keycode must be passing through the kernel's event system.
We know from other projects (like KindleLazy) that the two firmware series use different event device assignments.

Note: I am just guessing based on the problem description.
It does sound like a Baf level problem, since he knows the internal operation of the add-in the best.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:14 PM   #332
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kt
Quote:
Had only checked in PW1 where all 5 keys worked.
Today modified the keyboard layout in PW3 and KT3.
Now find that only 4 keys work. The "End" key still doesn't work.
Really strange.
You can try to get some more info by running kterm from console with -d option.
Compare debug output from PW1 with the one from PW3.
If possible post it here, it may give some clues.
baf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #333
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Really strange.
You can try to get some more info by running kterm from console with -d option.
Compare debug output from PW1 with the one from PW3.
If possible post it here, it may give some clues.
Hello, Baf!
The debug outputs attached. Got by running kterm -d > xxx-debug-output.txt through ssh.
Maybe I should check debug output when pressing the end key from the kindles?
Attached Files
File Type: txt pw1-debug-output.txt (14.8 KB, 210 views)
File Type: txt pw3-debug-output.txt (14.8 KB, 201 views)
File Type: txt kt3-debug-output.txt (14.8 KB, 211 views)
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #334
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you want the end key from the kindles fixed, then yes, it would be a good idea to post debug output that shows what happens when that key is pressed.

We will just count that one as a "think'o" and pretend you never made the first attachments or asked the question.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:43 PM   #335
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here's a side by side comparison (attachment in pdf format) of the debug output for pw1/pw3/kt3 when the mod1("ã/F") key followed by the end key is pressed.
Can't make out any differences, apart from those due to the differing screen resolutions...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pw1-pw3-kt3-end-key-debug.pdf (24.1 KB, 206 views)
Old 09-23-2017, 12:46 PM   #336
baf
Evangelist
baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks!
I checked general debugs that you posted and didn't notice any problems.

Quote:
Maybe I should check debug output when pressing the end key from the kindles?
That would be helpful! Maybe we will see some differences there.

Ok. I've got it.

Last edited by baf; 09-23-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:08 PM   #337
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Here's a side by side comparison (attachment in pdf format) of the debug output for pw1/pw3/kt3 when the mod1("ã/F") key followed by the end key is pressed.
Can't make out any differences, apart from those due to the differing screen resolutions...
You are right. No problem there. Some ideas to check.

How do you test the key, in shell or in some application?
What is your shell in newer kindles? On my kindle it is busybox sh.
Test it in kterm.
Code:
# echo $0
/bin/sh
# ls -la /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Jul 20 2015 /bin/sh -> busybox
What is the output of cat while pressing end key. On my KT it is:
Code:
# cat
^[OF
Could you post the output of env command from kterm, to see your env variables?

Run diff on /etc/termcap files on both systems. Kterm ships with its own termcap, but maybe system file also matters

Last edited by baf; 09-23-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:06 AM   #338
nasser
Evangelist

Thanks, Baf!
Here's what you asked for:
Quote:
How do you test the key, in shell or in some application?
Tested in shell. Will test again in Nano (where the end key is actually needed) and post the debug output.

Quote:
What is your shell in newer kindles? On my kindle it is busybox sh.
Test it in kterm.
Code:
# echo $0
/bin/sh
# ls -la /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Jul 20 2015 /bin/sh -> busybox
/bin/sh -> busybox in PW1/PW3/KT3

Quote:
What is the output of cat while pressing end key. On my KT it is:
Code:
# cat
^[OF
In PW1 I got ^[OF
In PW3 and KT3 I got NOTHING! (cursor remains where it was)

Quote:
Could you post the output of env command from kterm, to see your env variables?
Outputs attached.

Quote:
Run diff on /etc/termcap files on both systems. Kterm ships with its own termcap, but maybe system file also matters
The termcap file is identical across pw1/pw3/kt3. File attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt env-pw1.txt (324 Bytes, 203 views)
File Type: txt env-pw3.txt (236 Bytes, 234 views)
File Type: txt env-kt3.txt (236 Bytes, 225 views)
File Type: txt termcap-pw1-pw3-kt3.txt (19.4 KB, 210 views)
Old 09-24-2017, 06:37 AM   #339
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Tested in shell. Will test again in Nano (where the end key is actually needed) and post the debug output.
Tested under Nano too. Debug output when pressing mod1 and then end is same across pw1/pw3/kt3 as already reported before (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=335).
Old 09-24-2017, 10:05 AM   #340
knc1
Going Viral

The language and locale settings of the PW-1 are different.

Note:
The Amazon system contains a load_preload library that scrubs (standardizes) the environment settings.
That library might not be making the same changes.
But the language and locale settings should have been passed by the library.

Does the PW-1 have one of the font/margin hacks?
The one where you have to use the GB rather than the US jars?
Otherwise, set the PW-1 language and locale settings the same as the other two.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:06 PM   #341
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The language and locale settings of the PW-1 are different.

Note:
The Amazon system contains a load_preload library that scrubs (standardizes) the environment settings.
That library might not be making the same changes.
But the language and locale settings should have been passed by the library.

Does the PW-1 have one of the font/margin hacks?
The one where you have to use the GB rather than the US jars?
Otherwise, set the PW-1 language and locale settings the same as the other two.
I haven''t put any font and/or margin hacks in any of the kindles.
I can't remember why my PW1 has a LANG=en_GB, while the other two have en_US.
Should I try changing the PW3 and KT3 settings also to en_GB?
Old 09-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #342
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Should I try changing the PW3 and KT3 settings also to en_GB?
I don't think there is a problem with en_US locale. I have this locale on my KT and it works fine.

Just to make sure.
Is kterm installed in /mnt/us/extensions?
Is the path /mnt/us/extensions/kterm/vte/terminfo valid?

Other than that I have no idea. This could be a problem with termcap, but there are no differences. I even skimmed through latest Lab126 changes in GTK+ source, but didn't find anything suspicious.

Without the device it will be difficult for me to debug this issue.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #343
knc1
Going Viral

I only pointed out the differences I can see from several time zones away from the device.

If you don't have anything installed that depends on en_GB set of jar files, change the settings to match the other two, just in case it makes a difference.

I will re-mention my earlier comment:
The kernel on the PW-1 does not provide the same event interface as the newer kernel on the newer devices does.
I.E: The event interface differences may be affecting that one key code.
The fact that nothing else is different strengthens my case for a difference in event handling.
Old 09-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #344
baf
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The kernel on the PW-1 does not provide the same event interface as the newer kernel on the newer devices does.
I.E: The event interface differences may be affecting that one key code.
The fact that nothing else is different strengthens my case for a difference in event handling.
I don't this is the case here. The keyboard widget sends synthesized events that live only on Gtk+ level
Old 09-25-2017, 05:52 AM   #345
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by baf View Post
Just to make sure.
Is kterm installed in /mnt/us/extensions?
Is the path /mnt/us/extensions/kterm/vte/terminfo valid?
Yes to both!

Tags
kindle touch, kindle touch hacks, terminal emulator