Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #16
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
It's just unbridled self-confidence!!
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
mikeschr
Connoisseur
mikeschr is on a distinguished road

Device: Scribe, Oasis, Clara
I don't think it's a good idea to judge the OP or make assumptions. I can think of good reasons why someone wouldn't want to register, even if they never intended to buy a book.
Not me, though. I'm "all in" with the Amazon ecosystem - until they do me wrong, at least.
mikeschr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeschr View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to judge the OP or make assumptions. I can think of good reasons why someone wouldn't want to register, even if they never intended to buy a book.
Such as what? This isn't a criticism of anyone who makes that decision. I'm genuinely curiously about what the reasons for it might be. I can think of one such circumstances: the Kindle has been blacklisted by Amazon and CAN'T be registered, but that probably indicates that the owner does not have it legitimately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #19
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
@Harry:

There have been reports of users simply being unable to register their Kindles, even if they wanted to. I cannot verify this claim, but given the "regionalize everything" policy that Amazon seems to be pushing, I'm inclined to believe it. (Why does Amazon not allow european customers to download their free games? Why can I only download "american" ebooks if my account is associated with amazon.com, and only "german" ebooks if it's associated with amazon.de?)

That topic aside, I do find very valid reasons to *not* register an ebook reading device. The Kindle has lots of functionality to phone back home, including valid reasons (checking for firmware updates etc.), but also including questionable practices (uploading log files). Call me paranoid, but I don't want Amazon snooping around in my personal "device usage history".

(The following is somewhat off-topic, but important IMO): There seems to be a striking difference between the average US/UK citizen and the average "european" citizen (DE, FR...) in terms of privacy "expectations". The average American or British just seems to be ok with "tape me on camera, inspect my personal documents, mine my personal history. As long as I do nothing wrong, I have nothing to fear." (Think of CCTVs, which are pretty much ubiquitous in the States and the UK; DNA tests for minor misdemeanors, ...)

I am personally NOT happy at all with constantly being supervised, monitored, and checked. Indeed, I wouldn't have to fear anything, because I'm doing no wrong (except for finding and publishing a jailbreak method for the Kindle Touch, which in itself is probably already a crime under US law and the DMCA, but is fortunately covered by my civil rights where I live).

Still, I see no reason for Amazon to silently gather more information about me than what they already know (which is already far too much, IMO. They are amazingly effective at suggesting books that I may like. In other words: they have a pretty accurate knowledge about my interests and my state of mind).

Did you ever think about why Google and Facebook are among the most "valuable" companies nowadays? Their capital is not the brilliant engineers that they undoubtedly have -- it's the in-depth knowledge about the most private facets of their users.

Last edited by ixtab; 04-01-2012 at 02:30 AM. Reason: typos
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #20
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Such as what? This isn't a criticism of anyone who makes that decision. I'm genuinely curiously about what the reasons for it might be. I can think of one such circumstances: the Kindle has been blacklisted by Amazon and CAN'T be registered, but that probably indicates that the owner does not have it legitimately.

Frankly Harry this kind of immediate assumption of ill deeds is why I refuse to explain myself or argue the issue. People online nearly always jump to the worst and treat people accordingly. None of this post is directed at anyone personally just the trend so no ill will intended.

No matter what one's opinion on any issue is you can be sure someone will be right along to tell you how stupid, wrong, criminal, whatever you are and I just don't want to participate in that...nor do I feel the need to justify my choices to anyone because sure as the sun rises someone will take issue with that reason and start crap. I long for a day you can ask how to do something and those who know will reply...those who don't will stay out of it...and those who think they have some duty to tell you how dumb you are will choke on an egg.
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:29 PM   #21
tanteoma
Enthusiast
tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.tanteoma is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Wait around for a few weeks and Doukan for Kindle Touch will be released.
tanteoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
ixtab, there is a world of difference between being concerned about your privacy being eroded and registering an ereader.

Incidentally, I'm in the UK and was happy enough to register my Kindle. But if I wasn't planning on buying books from Amazon, and was happy to live without the ability to have collections, I can very much see the attraction of not registering it. There doesn't need to be anything 'dodgy' about it and from my reading of it no one has made any such suggestion until very late in this thread saying we shouldn't do so....

Edited to add.
This is much more concerning than having my Kindle registered: bbc.co.uk news story -Email and web use to be monitored under new laws

I know it's April 1st but....

Last edited by soulfuldog; 04-01-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: To add a link
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #23
heeby
Connoisseur
heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.heeby knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
There doesn't need to be anything 'dodgy' about it and from my reading of it no one has made any such suggestion until very late in this thread saying we shouldn't do so....

\.
It has however been said in other threads discussing unregistered devices and as Harry said it was the first thought he had as to why someone wouldn't want to. Human behavior isn't complicated and it is easy to predict that people will assume that first.

The typical discussion goes something like :

"How do I do such and such?"
"Why would anyone want to do that? Just do THIS instead."
"I would prefer not to"
"Well I think you are up to something because there is no valid reason in my singular view why anyone would NEED to do it that way"

I have seen it many times in many forums and it annoys me to no end. That long with when you specify what you don't want to do people still post to do that very thing. Anyway so it goes.

Last edited by heeby; 04-01-2012 at 07:56 PM.
heeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 AM   #24
keliuss
keliuss is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 4 NT
This post may be taking the thread a little off-topic but I couldn't help notice OP heeby mention Linux, and Wine not doing what he wanted. I too use Linux (Ubuntu) and wine has it's limitations, which is why I don't use it any more. Instead I use VirtualBox with Windows XP running inside it for all those things that wine can't handle. It is surprisingly light on system resources on my four year old laptop.
I suppose this would be a long-winded work-around but I just wanted to throw out a suggestion for heeby who has been more than helpful with me.

And for some of you out there in the audience.........I also have an unregistered k4nt and have no intention of registering it.

Regards

Keliuss
keliuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:38 PM   #25
danrodz
danrodz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
collections launcher extension

I was able to use the collections extension for the Gui launcher to create collections on my unregistered kindle. I haven't figured out how to get the book links off the main page but the collections are there and it wasn't very hard to set up. Give it a look' its the collectionsync item

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...g#GUI_Launcher
danrodz is offline   Reply With Quote