Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
madagascaradam
Enthusiast
madagascaradam began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O Edition 2
Best replacement for 1st gen Kindle PW

Hi, I have a 1st gen Kindle Paperwhite that I've read regularly for 6 years (my only e-reader). I've loved it. I added the standard hacks but only really use the Kindle Collections hack (for easy collections, mainly for nested collections) and the screensavers. I don't often bother with the other hacks at all. I also use calibre to convert my non-Amazon books to Kindle format (or to turn my own documents into ebooks), so book file type is no issue to me as I can easily convert all of my books into any file type I want.

I've had no real problems with it until a couple years ago when I ran out of storage space and have to delete books from time to time in order to add new ones. But the last few months have seen the battery life drop dramatically. I regularly read it at least an hour a day, though often a couple hours a day, and sometimes I use it for up to 12 hours or more a day (when on long trips, which are sometimes frequent). There was a time when I'd only charge it once every 1-2 months (sometimes even longer if I was in a low-reading spell). But now I feel like the battery only lasts for about maybe 6 hours of usage at most... and that went down fast to this point just within a few months. So, I feel like I really NEED to replace it now. (Of course, it also has quite a lot of nicks and scratches and dirt accumulating at the corners that I just can't seem to get rid of. Being a 1st-gen PW the lighting it also a bit uneven but it doesn't really bother me.)

So, what's the best replacement for my 1st gen PW? I don't mind switching to another ebook reader format as I rarely used the Amazon bookstore and regardless, I can always remove the DRM from my purchased books (wherever I purchase them) and convert the format to the reader I'll use. I'll list my ereader feature specs in the desire I appreciate/need them and I'll specifically list some I don't need. I'm also price-conscious, so the best I can get for a good price is important (preferably below $100 or not much over it):

1. lighting is a must (I often read in the dark) - so any ereader that's lit at least as well as the PW 1 is nice, but if there are newer/better features, then please let me know

2. great battery life. My old kindle keyboard had a great battery life, then my paperwhite had a great battery life for years. I'd like to return to that ~1 month or more battery life (at least a solid 48 hours of constant use battery life would be appropriate, in my opinion... I don't know if I'm estimating that right, but that seems like what my older kindles could perform in their prime)

3. be able to use nested collections (I've used "Kindle Collections" for a long time and it works well... if my new ereader can do this by default, great! if not, then as long as I can jailbreak it and use something like "Kindle Collections" in order to get nested collections and manage it all with Calibre, then that's just as good)

4. More storage space - 4GB or more. 4GB might be enough (to replace the 2GB I only recently filled). But as I see that many newer ebooks often are larger files, then having 8GB could come in really handy.

5. Decent page-turning speed, no less than the PW 1, but faster would be nice.

6. I really like the touch screen. Not absolutely necessary, but this is at the top of my list for desired but non-essential features

7. A decent resolution, again, no less than the PW 1 would be good, but a higher resolution is nice.

8. I've seen that the new kindle paperwhite is waterproof and has its screen flush with the plastic part. The waterproof could come in fairly handy for me and the screen being flush would be nice because I could wipe off dirt more easily (and not get it stuck there permanently like some of it is now). Neither the flush screen nor the waterproof are a must for me, but if they're affordable together with my other desires above, then that's great!

9. I'd like to be able to change my screensavers (as I've done in the past with the screen savers hack) ... this isn't absolutely necessary as long as the new one has a tasteful selection and little-to-no advertising (I believe Kindle's selections in the past have been tasteful, but I still prefer my own screensavers where possible)

10. I don't need any audio features whatsoever. I never do audio books. I won't use my kindle for music or anything except actually reading/viewing books and documents

11. I don't actually even need any sort of network (even wi-fi) connection. I'm more comfortable sideloading all my books since I manage it with calibre. I don't want to use a wi-fi or data connection to do that (as my network mb/gb are usually limited where I live).

12. I really don't want any sort of "special offers" or other advertising - I find it incredibly annoying. I found that with my old PW (which I accidentally got with special offers), as long as I never connect it to the internet (which I don't) the offers mainly disappear and are replaced with a default screen at bottom (that I ignore) and I replaced the screensavers with the SS hack... so that's all great. It'd be great to have ZERO space for ads, but if I have to get something with some ads, then they need to be very unobtrusive.

Please let me know your recommendations for a replacement for my PW 1! As I said above, my only real experience is with kindles and I've loved it, but I'm by no means locked into the Amazon bookspace framework as I only sideload books and often find free books (or use my own documents) and convert the file types, etc. So if another ereader performs as well and has a better price (particularly with my top-4 stats above: lighting, good battery life, nested collections, and 4GB+ storage space) then I'll totally go for another ereader.

Thanks for any help any of you can offer!

Last edited by madagascaradam; 02-17-2019 at 10:51 AM.
madagascaradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I got the new Paperwhite 4 when they first became available. I already had a Paperwhite 3, which I liked a lot. I also have a Voyage with the flush screen and I liked the Voyage but I wasn't fond of the flush screen because I kept accidentally turning pages while reading. That almost kept me from getting the Paperwhite 4 but I decided to try it.

As it turns out I like the Paperwhite 4 more than either the Voyage or the Paperwhite 3. I haven't found myself turning pages by accident. I'm not sure why that's true with this thing and not with the Voyage. Maybe something to do with the different ways I hold them. But it's worked out very well.

My first Paperwhite 4 had a screen that wasn't quite as good as the screen on my Paperwhite 3 but was better than my Paperwhite 1. But that was only when they were side by side. The differences I see when comparing them disappear when I'm reading and they're all perfect.

My first Paperwhite 4 had 3G which automatically comes with 32 gig storage so if I wanted to I could have thousands of books on it. I normally keep only 20 to 40 books on a device but since it had so much room I decided to download a LOT of stuff to it and I did, but I find it more difficult to find what I want and I'm in the process of removing books now.

I liked the Paperwhite 4 so much that I got another one while it was still on sale, this one Wifi only. And when they went on sale again I got another one, also Wifi. Now they're on sale again and I keep trying to remind myself that it would be silly to get another one. I remind myself of that over and over. I don't know how much longer I can hold out. I may have to get one just so I can stop reminding myself.

I don't really care about it being waterproof, or I didn't till I got it. Now I'm finding that gives me a little peace of mind when it's in my jacket pocket and I get caught in the rain, which happens a lot recently.

My Wifi PW4's are both only 8 gig but that's still twice as much as my Paperwhite 3. Not that I need the room but it is something you mentioned.

By the way, the second two PW4's had screens every bit as good as my PW3 so the first one was just a fluke. There are a lot of individual differences in screens even within the same model. As you no doubt can guess, I have a lot of ereaders.

I also have a couple of Nooks and 3 Kobo's, although the Kobo's are older models. I don't really care much for the Kobo interface but it's okay and reading on them is a good experience. Just not my favorite. I have been thinking of getting a Kobo Clara HD but I haven't really decided yet.

My Nook Glowlight 3 has easily the best screen of any ereading device I have. Better contrast and a very even light. It's software is a bit buggy but it's usable. It doesn't have many features but it has the features I care most about. It's probably my second favorite after the Kindles. It also has 6 gig so it can hold a lot of books.

I live in a retirement home and I give away my readers when I stop using them and I've been thinking of getting rid of my older Kindles and just sticking with the Paperwhite 4's. I don't have anyone here wanting one now but as soon as I do I'll probably start doing that.

I don't concern myself with collections much. I have one for novels and one for short stories and one for misc. and that's it. And even those are mostly because I want to keep the home screen fairly clear. I think the best way to use an ereader is to read on it. There are better ways to store books.

[edit]I forgot to mention that I also dislike ads on my devices so as soon as my Kindles arrive I go to my devices page on Amazon and pay the $20 fee to have them removed. Actually I've ordered them without the ads for $20 more in the past. That option doesn't always seem to be available these days. But it takes 2 minutes to remove them when they get here.

Barry

Last edited by barryem; 02-17-2019 at 12:28 PM.
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2019, 11:29 PM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Current Kindles don't support nested collections. I think that switch coincided with the introduction of Cloud Collections.

Personally, I've recently been using KOReader more often (jailbroken PW3 and PW4) and nested folders has been a pretty decent substitute for my usage.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
madagascaradam
Enthusiast

Thanks to both of you @barryem and @ilovejedd. Barry does have me fairly convinced of the PW 4 except for two problems (one of them more significant): not being able to do nested collections on the PW 4 is the big challenge! I use about 10-15 main collections and keep sub-collections in them (mainly, but not only, for book series), adding up to at least a few dozen collections total. So not being able to use nested collections as @ilovejedd said... wow, that's a tough one! I tried KOReader once a few years back and didn't like it as much as kindle's basic reader method, plus I like the ability of having calibre manage my collections (rather than creating my own folder structure) and I like being able to have some of the same books appear in multiple collections (like tags), so I'd prefer to use the default reader software. But maybe that won't be possible?

So I've been trying to look up the Nook Glowlight 3 and the various Kobo models. I can't find for sure whether *any* of them do nested collections though. Any idea? Maybe I'll have to start a new thread to find out which newer ereaders can have nested collections?

EDIT: My other challenge with getting a PW4 (though no nested collections is the big one) is that I can't find it on sale as you mentioned @barryem! Right now it's $130 *with* special offers (so $150 without). That's pretty pricey, and it doesn't even have the feature I really want, which is nested collections!

Last edited by madagascaradam; 02-18-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:19 AM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you liked what you had, get a PPW3. I'm iffy about recommending the PPW4 due to apparent problems but certainly the features are good. My sister is loving hers. My Mom has a PPW1 and won't give it up until it dies. Although I have Nooks, I can't recommend them as their future is fairly uncertain.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2019, 09:24 AM   #6
madagascaradam
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
If you liked what you had, get a PPW3. I'm iffy about recommending the PPW4 due to apparent problems but certainly the features are good. My sister is loving hers. My Mom has a PPW1 and won't give it up until it dies. Although I have Nooks, I can't recommend them as their future is fairly uncertain.
Do you know what the apparent problems are? The trouble is, if the PW3 also can't do nested collections, why get one that's not waterproof and has less storage than the PW4?

I'd consider trying to replace the battery in my PW1 as I see there are tutorials for it, but it'd still cost me about $30 or more (just from a quick ebay search) and I'd still have my current storage limitations. Plus the off-chance I break my machine and lose the money anyway. So I'm hesitant about that. At this point, I'd pay a bit more if I knew there was a device that had good collections abilities and the other points I mentioned... particularly including good battery life. But maybe the set of things I want (particularly nested collections aren't possible). If so, but if I have to upgrade anyway, I'd like something that costs a bit less but is still reliable (particularly good battery life) even if it's not a kindle-brand.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:43 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by madagascaradam View Post

EDIT: My other challenge with getting a PW4 (though no nested collections is the big one) is that I can't find it on sale as you mentioned @barryem! Right now it's $130 *with* special offers (so $150 without). That's pretty pricey, and it doesn't even have the feature I really want, which is nested collections!
Paperwhites go on sale frequently, so unless someone is desperate it's always worth waiting for the next sale.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:01 PM   #8
madagascaradam
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Paperwhites go on sale frequently, so unless someone is desperate it's always worth waiting for the next sale.
Yeah... I mean, I'll just have to charge my current one very frequently (and keep one of those power banks with me) until then. It's still a couple months until I'm back in the US anyway, so I'll keep an eye on prices until then. Still... doesn't fix the issue with collections on the new kindles. Does anyone yet have an answer if there are any alternative modern ereaders that can do nested collections?
Old 02-18-2019, 02:08 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You say that your main use for nested collections is to handle series. I find personally that using a Calibre metadata plugboard to automatically prefix the series name and author to the title works very well. When I list books by author (or title) I see the series in the correct order. Might be worth considering.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:17 PM   #10
madagascaradam
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You say that your main use for nested collections is to handle series. I find personally that using a Calibre metadata plugboard to automatically prefix the series name and author to the title works very well. When I list books by author (or title) I see the series in the correct order. Might be worth considering.
Yeah, in my searches I saw someone commenting on here about doing that so I looked it up. But yeah, it basically wouldn't achieve what I want it to. I like to keep my books in "recent" so it can have my currently reading ones on the first page or two. And I like the nested collections so that when I go to pick a new book, I don't have to flip too many pages to find anything. Some of the series have a LOT of books in them (like a dozen or more) so I don't want to have to flip several pages just to get past a single series. I like them nested because there are series in sci-fi and different series in fantasy and stuff like that. I also have some of my work documents and curriculum (which includes training other people) nested to refer to which unit the various materials are a part of (and each of those units are nested within the larger work/curriculum collection). This is all much quicker than page turning many times to get past collections/series which would instead simply have a different prefix on the name.

So yeah, maybe most people don't have the same trouble or usage of their ereaders that I do, but I've found the nested collections make my usage SO much better. That's why I ranked it so high on my list of desires/requirements for a new ereader. Though I'm starting to despair if that'll be possible.
Old 02-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #11
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Do you know what the apparent problems are? The trouble is, if the PW3 also can't do nested collections, why get one that's not waterproof and has less storage than the PW4?
Well, there you go, if you need waterproof then go with the PPW4. If you need more storage, go with the PPW4. I personally don't use the collections, so no clue there. I rarely have more than 200 books, but really, if you have to upgrade and nesting isn't an option, try Harry's plugboards. They are wonderful for series.

As to problems, visiting around boards on the net, lots of people are unhappy with the lighting and there appears to be a higher failure rate. Keep in mind that people who are happy tend not to post, so it could simply be less tolerant people.

Last edited by Tarana; 02-18-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:42 AM   #12
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Metaboard plugin is great. Unfortunately, my email to Kindle function doesn't work anymore from Calibre. It has worked for years, but suddenly it doesn't anymore. Not sure what was changed in Calibre.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:22 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
The Metaboard plugin is great. Unfortunately, my email to Kindle function doesn't work anymore from Calibre. It has worked for years, but suddenly it doesn't anymore. Not sure what was changed in Calibre.
Have you read the many threads in the Calibre forum that tell you how to diagnose and resolve email problems?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #14
madagascaradam
Enthusiast

Harry, can you tell me where to find your plugboards and if there's more info about what their ultimate functionality is? Is it the one where you change the titles of your books when you load them to your kindle or is it something else? Thanks!
Old 02-20-2019, 01:04 PM   #15
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Is it the one where you change the titles of your books when you load them to your kindle or is it something else? Thanks!
This pretty much.

This thread has a bunch of pretty good templates you can use.
Plugboard, template, and custom composite column recipes
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote