Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 01-25-2019, 12:27 PM   #61
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
True and I don't see car manufacturers going out of their way to add more functionality to their onboard systems. I remember my iPod having a remote and I could control what I played through it. Does that not work with newer systems?
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:42 PM   #62
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
True and I don't see car manufacturers going out of their way to add more functionality to their onboard systems. I remember my iPod having a remote and I could control what I played through it. Does that not work with newer systems?
Apache
It does, but it only works with the Music App (the old iTunes app) and works, shall we say, imperfectly, i.e. every so often it forgets where it's at and jumps to the first song of the first playlist. Thus, my desire for car play support. Honda's entertainment system for the 2016 pilot is not exactly robust. It also doesn't work with iPads at all, for some strange and unknown reason. So some of the blame is Apple dropping audiobook support from the Music App, and some of the blame is to Honda for having a crappy, bug ridden Entertainment console.

My hope is that this 3rd party replacement is a bit more robust.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:38 AM   #63
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finally got the car back from the shop. My initial take is "sweet". The unit has it's own GPS, that works with Google Maps and Apple Map, so I don't need my Garmin GPS unit anymore. It also works with the onboard cameras fairly well.

The deal with the Audible app is that it shows the audiobooks you have downloaded to the app, so all I have to do is download the next 5 or 6 audiobooks that I plan to listen to. When it finishes with one, I just select the next one I want to listen to.

It also supports the books app, but I haven't really played around with that yet.

It also does podcast as well as regular music. The unit has a cd/DVD player (in theory, I can play a DVD but that would be rather stupid of me) as well as digital radio and satellite radio. I generally speaking do no listen to radio all that much, but it's good to have, just in case.

I'll find out over the next several weeks how well everything actually works. Does it lose it's place if I forget to pause the audiobook before turning off the car? All the little gotcha's that one finds after actually using something for a while. I will likely continue to use my iMac to manage my longer list of books that I haven't listened to yet in iTunes.
Old 02-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #64
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

So far, I'm loving it. I've jumped between books without losing my place, no mysterious starts from the beginning of the book and picking a new book can be down with no more distraction than changing radio channels.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #65
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

To give an update after a month, I'm still glad I made the investment. I've been driving more the last several weeks and I've gone through several books now. Pulling up the next audiobook is very easy. No problems with phone calls and it even will read text to me via Siri. I made up a DVD full of music for the rare times that I don't have my iPhone hooked up.