Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2019, 08:24 PM   #166
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I think the Amber Ltd ebooks are probably legit, but I don't blame anyone for being suspicious when the ebooks are crudely constructed(*) and the publisher doesn't seem to even have a website.

(* Edit: e.g. a large number of different paragraph styles each with slightly different margin sizes, as if they are trying to simulate the exact ragged-right alignment of each paragraph in the original.)
The publisher is the Zelazny estate, most of the Zelazny backlist ebooks list that company as the publisher. A number of authors have their own private publishing company for their backlist books, or books that don't exactly appeal to traditional publishers.

I don't know that I would agree with crudely constructed. A number of Zelazny's books used a somewhat unique layout.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 09:42 PM   #167
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
No, they legitimately are pretty crudely-constructed. I wish Amber, Ltd. had contact information because I wound up spending a bunch of time fixing mine and I wouldn't mind sending them the result if I could.

Anyway, the first three of the Merlin books are now available as well, as is Roadmarks.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2020, 06:59 AM   #168
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
In a case like that, I always suspect that the source was a pirate-scanned book. The publisher should clean up the code, but it may be beyond them (say, if Zelazny's son is running the show).
Pournelle did an open call for those, way back when.
But he was comouter savvy and he then cleaned and proofed against the books. Some folks think of OCR as magic and perfect.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 08:01 AM   #169
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
In a case like that, I always suspect that the source was a pirate-scanned book. The publisher should clean up the code, but it may be beyond them (say, if Zelazny's son is running the show).
Just as a note, my understanding of the Zelazny situation is that it's being run by Zelazny's widow. Zelazny was separated when he died but not divorced, so his widow has control. I've read a couple of things where it was mentioned that the Zelazny children are more than a bit frustrated with the situation. That was several years ago, back when I first started to try to track down eBook copies of Zelazny's works, so it may have changed since then. She seems to be releasing books in drips and drabs with no real pattern.

Trent Zelazny is an author in his own right and can likely be contacted via his publisher. The times that I spotted Zelazny books that I suspected were pirated, I sent an email to Jane Lindskold. She responded, thanking me and saying to she would forward to the family. I don't think that it would be polite to try to use her as the go between to report typos and the like.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote