Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-17-2019, 06:27 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I got the new Oasis yesterday. I got the 32G model, so it easily holds all my Kindle ebooks. Just wish that Amazon had a way to say "just download everything" by no, you have to download them one by one. I now have everything downloaded on the Oasis and created a few collections to hold the various books in my to be read list. I just need to remember to remove and add ebooks as I read and buy them respectively. It fits easily in my console. Right now, I've got it connected to the charger on my kitchen. It's still indexing, which sucks down the juice like mad. Once it finishes that, I'll see how well the battery last sitting in the car. I'll have it hooked in to charge when the car is on.
My suggestion is you return the Oasis 2. It wont be as good as Marvin and the closest to Marvin is a Kobo. So return the Oasis 2 and get a Kobo Forma. You'll be glad you did.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #32
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
My suggestion is you return the Oasis 2. It wont be as good as Marvin and the closest to Marvin is a Kobo. So return the Oasis 2 and get a Kobo Forma. You'll be glad you did.
I already have a Kobo. As I mentioned, part of the decision process is that I want something that I can easily sync via wifi. It's very easy to turn on wifi, download the latest books, the vast majority of which I purchase from Amazon, and go from there.

The downside to a kobo is that it only seems to sync books you purchased from kobo rather than books that you side load via calibre. I suspect the kindle is the same, but then again, I buy most of my books from Amazon.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2019, 07:03 AM   #33
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:

The downside to a kobo is that it only seems to sync books you purchased from kobo rather than books that you side load via calibre. I suspect the kindle is the same, but then again, I buy most of my books from Amazon.
Actually you can sync your sideloaded books too if you send them to your Amazon Cloud via e-mail or the send-to-kindle app. If you sideload via USB, then they won't sync.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #34
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Actually you can sync your sideloaded books too if you send them to your Amazon Cloud via e-mail or the send-to-kindle app. If you sideload via USB, then they won't sync.
"Side-loading" is generally understood to be the process of transferring via USB. As you say, books in the Cloud can indeed be synced, but such books are not (by the usual understanding of the word) side-loaded.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 06:54 PM   #35
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And I forgot my iPad again today, so I got a good opportunity to try out the Kindle Oasis. It worked out pretty well. I did side load a number of Baen books. One issue with Calibre is that it doesn't match books that were not loaded via Calibre. Still, I was able to set up a number of categories which allowed me to find a book to read fairly quickly and I was able to use wifi to pull down books that I had bought but not loaded on the Oasis yet.
Advert
Old 03-14-2019, 12:45 AM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
One issue with Calibre is that it doesn't match books that were not loaded via Calibre.
It should match the books if the metadata is the same in both places. Calibre will use the title and authors to do this. They don't have to be a perfect match, but they need to be close.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #37
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It should match the books if the metadata is the same in both places. Calibre will use the title and authors to do this. They don't have to be a perfect match, but they need to be close.
Calibre doesn't recognize most of my Amazon purchased books as being the same book. I didn't change any of the titles or authors. When I say most, I didn't really notice any, but I also didn't check all that closely.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:47 AM   #38
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Calibre doesn't recognize most of my Amazon purchased books as being the same book. I didn't change any of the titles or authors. When I say most, I didn't really notice any, but I also didn't check all that closely.
Calibre gives you the tool to force a Match. In device view (on any missing the Tick): Match to Library: (select)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
So you never used the "Download metadata and covers" option or standardize authors via "Manage Authors" or anything of the sort on your Calibre library?

For me, the books don't get recognized because author/title doesn't match what I have in Calibre (cleaned up metadata).

Checking my Kindle just now and metadata is all over the place.

Saw several books with authors as:
FirstName LastName & LastName, FirstName (yep, listed twice)

Plenty of manga with varying title convention, too (in the same series!).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:25 PM   #40
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
So you never used the "Download metadata and covers" option or standardize authors via "Manage Authors" or anything of the sort on your Calibre library?

For me, the books don't get recognized because author/title doesn't match what I have in Calibre (cleaned up metadata).

How do you "Manage Authors" in Calibre? I never that wes there
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:30 PM   #41
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenman View Post
How do you "Manage Authors" in Calibre? I never that wes there
Tag Browser > right-click Authors > Manage Authors
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:59 PM   #42
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
Quote:
Tag Browser > right-click Authors > Manage Authors

Thanks
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 09:30 AM   #43
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

I do download metadata for non fictional books, but not fictional books. The only time I download covers is if the cover isn't provided, but changing the cover won't change the title or author.

I'll try playing around with it again to see if I can figure out why they aren't matching.
Old 03-18-2019, 02:37 PM   #44
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I noticed early in the thread that people were talking about battery life. I found that my phone would expire far too early if I was on a longish train journey so I bought an external battery pack for charging on the go. The one I have has enough juice to charge my phone a few times over, or my ipad a couple of times, or an ereader once or twice (being as how the battery lasts longer, no need for more). Its been a boon. Its an earlier model of this one http://www.mokiinternational.com/Pro...Bank-7800.html
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:09 PM   #45
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Some of the issues I find with Calibre downloading covers is that's it looking for covers on Amazon.com, not Amazon.co.uk. I've not found a setting that will change that.
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote