Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 08-01-2007, 11:39 PM   #1
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Avila, Teresa of, Saint: The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus. v1. 1 Aug 07

This is Saint Teresa’s autobiography. The full title is The Life of St. Teresa of Jesus, of the Order of Our Lady of Carmel.

Information via Wikipedia: Saint Teresa of Ávila (known in religion as Teresa de Jesús, baptized as Teresa de Cepeda y Ahumada) (March 28, 1515 – October 4, 1582) was a major figure of the Catholic Reformation as a prominent writer and monastic reformer.

Forty years after her death, she was canonized, and her church reveres her as the “seraphic virgin.” The Cortes exalted her to patroness of Spain in 1617, and the University of Salamanca previously conferred the title Doctor ecclesiae with a diploma. The title is Latin for Doctor of the Church, but is distinct from the honor of Doctor of the Church conferred posthumously by the Holy See, which she received in 1970, being the first woman to be awarded it.

Teresa’s prose is marked by an unaffected grace, an ornate neatness, and charming power of expression, together placing her in the front rank of Spanish prose writers. It’s interesting to read her stories of growing up and the struggles she faced when she became a nun.

There are lots of linked footnotes throughout this work, but you really don’t have to follow them to enjoy this work. If you DO decide to follow them, be prepared to use your joystick to “go back” a lot because some of them can be somewhat lengthy.

I also have to give our fellow member kovidgoyal some more kudo’s (and karma!) because his wonderful html2lrf program did most of the work for me on this file. I didn’t have to go in and link all the chapters and footnotes because his program kept all that intact based on the PG html file. Whew!

All I had to do was clean up a few things here and there and make a cover for it. I really love to read this book when I get stressed out, so hopefully somebody else will enjoy it as well.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Teresa, of Avila, Saint_The Life of St Teresa.lrf.zip (643.8 KB, 1156 views)
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:24 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I just now dowloaded this and your cover is beautiful. I look forward to reading it, based upon the information you provided. A wonderful job on explaining the book, too!

I do have a question regarding the formatting, because I'm curious about the program you used. Does the program allow a person to start a "Contents" page at the beginning of new page, do you know?

Thanks again!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
tsgreer
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Thanks Don! Actually I can't take too much credit for the cover either. All I did was lay it out, but the actual painting is "St. Theresa", painted in 1819-20 by François Gérard, a French neoclassical painter. Just a beautiful painting!

As for the formatting, I used html2lrf, the program written by kovidgoyal. I'm assuming you could start the page at the beginning of new page if you modified the HTML file.

I don't have a lot of experience in that and honestly, the more I messed around with it, the more I messed things up! I know is program is pretty good about being able to fine tune things, but I am still learning it...

So I guess to sum up my overly long answer to your question: "Um, I don't know yet." But I will take your concern to heart and work on that in the future! I never really noticed, but I guess most books that you all post are formatted that way...

Last edited by tsgreer; 08-02-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:22 PM   #4
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
"God, if this is how you treat your friends....."

;-)
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
Thanks Don! Actually I can't take too much credit for the cover either. All I did was lay it out, but the actual painting is "St. Theresa", painted in 1819-20 by François Gérard, a French neoclassical painter. Just a beautiful painting!

As for the formatting, I used html2lrf, the program written by kovidgoyal. I'm assuming you could start the page at the beginning of new page if you modified the HTML file.

I don't have a lot of experience in that and honestly, the more I messed around with it, the more I messed things up! I know is program is pretty good about being able to fine tune things, but I am still learning it...

So I guess to sum up my overly long answer to your question: "Um, I don't know yet." But I will take your concern to heart and work on that in the future! I never really noticed, but I guess most books that you all post are formatted that way...
If html2lrf does not auto page break at every chapter heading, you can put in
Code:
<p style="page-break-after:always"></p>
where you want to force a page break. And not just for chapter heads.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2007, 05:56 PM   #6
tsgreer

Oh excellent! Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-11-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So are we going to see a new version of this book with chapter breaks?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote