Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #46
Ralphdharris
Ralphdharris began at the beginning.

Device: fujitsu stylistic 5030
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayspooled View Post
Hello

I just registered here and fresh from posting in the introductions forum. I have a question for you.

Anyone experienced with using tablet pc's as an ebook reader? WinXP Tablet pc version and various ebook reader software.

My eyesight is getting worse and I find I need a larger screen than the 6-8 inch screens available on a lot of ebook hardware, so I'm looking at the Fujitsu (new or used) Stylistic STxxxx lines of tablet pcs. I don't see plugging it in occasionally as an insurmountable problem. I can live with it, I'm just looking for something I can sit in the den or bedroom and read, not stuck sitting in front of the pc. If I'm looking for "carrying it around with me outside the house" functionality, I think I'll just have to wait until there is a larger size dedicated reader device available. One thing I've noticed. I think I read too fast to be comfortable with turning them sideways and reading one paragraph at a time. Can't seem to get right with that.

Can anyone share their experiences or offer me any commentary about using tablet pcs or alternative poor eyesight situation solutions?

I'd appreciate it
This is what you need
http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009-10/diy-kindle
Contact me at ralphdharris@gmail if you need more information
Ralph
Ralphdharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:53 AM   #47
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralphdharris View Post
This is what you need
http://www.popsci.com/diy/article/2009-10/diy-kindle
Contact me at ralphdharris@gmail if you need more information
Ralph
Hmm, you've a good idea there...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #48
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNel View Post
There are a number of tablets (convertibles) that have come down in weight to around 3-3.5 lbs. and have battery lives around 7-9 hours (Fujitsu t2010 and HP 2710p)
Just a small point: The HP 2710p has no scrolling buttons for reading in slate mode. So you're forced to use the pen, or hook up some sort of trackball. That makes it pretty much a no-go for comfortable reading. Go for the newer HP 2730p, which adds the missing hard buttons. Both have a nice form factor, with the ability to add a "slice" battery extension for longer battery life.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #49
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm very interested in a tablet device eventually as well, but nothing currently out there seems to have the forum factor, battery life etc. that I'd want.

I'm hoping the damned long-rumored Apple tablet comes out next year. I doubt it would suit my needs (and I'm not an Apple fan), but I'd suspect that would lead to a lot of other smaller, lighter tablets meant just for reading and marking up stuff, light web browsing, PDA etc. would come out. Rather than these pricier tablets that are more like full powered lap tops.

I just need something to read and mark up academic PDFs, and it would be great if it could replace my old Palm Pilot and also surf the web, show videos and photos etc.

I'm keeping my eye on larger format touch screen/stylus e-ink devices like the Que as well though.

Most likely I'll just wait another couple years and see what comes out in terms of the business/academic market in terms of tablet devices and large touch screen e-ink devices to give them time to work out the kinks. I'm fine with printouts for now and don't want to blow big bucks to early adopt some early device that only marginally does what I want.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote