Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-17-2009, 05:06 PM   #31
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I see now Kaz that you did get the implications of the films actions, you were just more subtle and not a loud mouth like me.

SPOILER ALERT! You can read the below by highlighting it. It is written in white font.

I guess the one change that was startling, and more difficult to take is the relationship between Uhura and Spock. The events Nero set in place should not have effected Spock in that way. And seems to violate Pon Farr, but then I may be over playing the significance of Pon Farr in Vulcan relationships. After all, Spock's mother Amanda is a Human, and she and Sarek obviously have a relationship outside of the Vulcan Pon Farr season.

In any event a great movie. I am going to see it again!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #32
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I think my favourite character was Dr 'Bones' McCoy. They made him a pretty feisty angry/grumpy young fellow. Just like I imagined him as a young man!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:42 PM   #33
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
I think my favourite character was Dr 'Bones' McCoy. They made him a pretty feisty angry/grumpy young fellow. Just like I imagined him as a young man!
I might throw up on you

Actually I agree, great character. I thought the portrayal of Spock in the movie was pretty good too. Except for that Leonard Nimoy guy. He just doesn't get the character.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:47 PM   #34
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Except that he's not young. Karl Urban is 37. Deforest Kelly was 47ish when TOS was shot.

Bones is the one character who had to be older. If he had been played by a 20-something I would have walked out of the theater. I think they found the right guy for the role.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #35
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I might throw up on you

Actually I agree, great character. I thought the portrayal of Spock in the movie was pretty good too. Except for that Leonard Nimoy guy. He just doesn't get the character.
Yes. Spock turned out much better than I expected.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 08:49 PM   #36
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
I see now Kaz that you did get the implications of the films actions, you were just more subtle and not a loud mouth like me.

SPOILER ALERT! You can read the below by highlighting it. It is written in white font.

I guess the one change that was startling, and more difficult to take is the relationship between Uhura and Spock. The events Nero set in place should not have effected Spock in that way. And seems to violate Pon Farr, but then I may be over playing the significance of Pon Farr in Vulcan relationships. After all, Spock's mother Amanda is a Human, and she and Sarek obviously have a relationship outside of the Vulcan Pon Farr season.

In any event a great movie. I am going to see it again!
Donnageddon - That was ingenious!! White font?! I wish I had thought to do that. What you wrote was the part I liked least about the movie and I had the same reaction and thought processes that you had. Also being extremely sentimental, I was very upset about Spock's loss.

Quote:
I thoroughly enjoyed that character and thought the actor nailed it perfectly!

Quote:
I might throw up on you

kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #37
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
So cool! It's like invisible ink!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 02:21 AM   #38
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Donnageddon - That was ingenious!! White font?! I wish I had thought to do that. What you wrote was the part I liked least about the movie and I had the same reaction and thought processes that you had. Also being extremely sentimental, I was very upset about Spock's loss.
Yet, it does make sense if you take Sarek's last remark about his mother into account. Besides, it's not as if Spock makes it look easy, you can see that he feels uncomfortable and unsure how to react...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 09:38 AM   #39
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
So cool! It's like invisible ink!
I know!!! It is AWESOME!!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #40
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
I would like to slaughter JJ for ruining what was a nice franchise totally and more so than ENT did.

And no it's NOT hard to avoid messing up timelines. ST history is more or less set from end of 20th century and up to the 24th century. Nothing say they can't put something in the 25th century or even farther ahead.

No need to ruin it.

On the other hand it shouldn't be called Star Trek but something else and marketed as that and I think everyone would be happy.

But this wasn't and isn't Star Trek.

Please please please don't slaughter the franchise anymore. Give it a new name and have fun... But don't kill off the originals so badly.

/me goes in the corner and cries
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #41
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskie View Post
I would like to slaughter JJ for ruining what was a nice franchise totally and more so than ENT did.

And no it's NOT hard to avoid messing up timelines. ST history is more or less set from end of 20th century and up to the 24th century. Nothing say they can't put something in the 25th century or even farther ahead.

No need to ruin it.

On the other hand it shouldn't be called Star Trek but something else and marketed as that and I think everyone would be happy.

But this wasn't and isn't Star Trek.

Please please please don't slaughter the franchise anymore. Give it a new name and have fun... But don't kill off the originals so badly.

/me goes in the corner and cries
Aww, Ruskie, don't take it so hard. It is just a movie and only 2 hours out of your life.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #42
ruskie
Shade
ruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enoughruskie will become famous soon enough

Device: Hanlin Jinke V3ext running OpenInkPot
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Aww, Ruskie, don't take it so hard. :o It is just a movie and only 2 hours out of your life. ;)
It's ruskie no caps please ;)

And I'm saddened by it. Star Trek is about a dream of a very nice future. But people don't seem to be interested in this so they try to butcher it. :(
ruskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:25 PM   #43
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
It's ruskie no caps please

And I'm saddened by it. Star Trek is about a dream of a very nice future. But people don't seem to be interested in this so they try to butcher it.
It reminds of a few years back (I don't know if this can be corroborated or not online) while working at a video distributor, the Paramount representative told me that while Paramount was getting ready to make Star Trek: First Contact the then president of the studio loved the idea of showing the story of Zefram Cochrane and decided that they should have the character played by a woman! When they gently explained that Cochrane had already been shown as a man in the original series he told them that nobody watches that old crap anyway.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:59 PM   #44
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm a hardcore Star Trek fan. I'm so dedicated that I'm still bugged by the historical revisionism in ST: First Contact. But I have to say that I like this movie.

It's actually a lot better than the trailers led me to believe. I had previously described it as "twenty-somethings blow shit up". That's not true. This is more than just a J. J. Abrams action flick. It's one of the better Star Trek movies. I'd rate it above Nemesis, ST5, and ST1.
I can finally read this thread as I just saw it as well. I agree it was much better than I expected. They didn't screw it up and I *still* want to be on the Enterprise and follow Kirk and Spock wherever.

I'm so happy (even though I cried a few times).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:06 PM   #45
kazbates
Wizard

Quote:
It's ruskie no caps please
I humbly beg your pardon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I can finally read this thread as I just saw it as well. I agree it was much better than I expected. They didn't screw it up and I *still* want to be on the Enterprise and follow Kirk and Spock wherever.

I'm so happy (even though I cried a few times).
I agree completely and I cried, too! We're just a couple of softees.