Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
Hollow Book / Revised

Hey guys and gals.

I've seen a few of the 'hollow book' DIY reader cover threads in here and thought it looked like a fantastic idea, but I've just never been able to bring myself to destroy a book, so I did the next best alternative I could come up with.

I found a nice book-like leather journal (at a clearout sale), and thinking that cutting the shape of the reader into the pages would be too troublesome, I instead got a square of foam (sold as chair cushion at craft stores). After removing the journal pages, I cut the foam to size and then using a pen to trace the shape of the reader, I cut out a recessed area into the foam for the reader to rest.

Because the foam is near to the color of paper, the final outcome looks surprising like a real book IMO. The outer shell is very sturdy and rigid, the leather is real. The foam acts like a natural shock absorber and it is very lightweight. If you pick it up thinking it was an actual book, you would get quite a surprise. Finished it off with a nice braided leather rope that I found at a thrift shop (I think it used to be a bracelet).

I'm very happy with how this turned out =)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Book2.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	500.2 KB
ID:	27318   Click image for larger version

Name:	Book3.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	27319   Click image for larger version

Name:	Book4.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	625.1 KB
ID:	27320   Click image for larger version

Name:	Book5.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	616.7 KB
ID:	27321  
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Very nice.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #3
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
It looks very attractive and it appears that it would provide good protection as well.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, diy, diy cover, journal, leather