Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-04-2016, 09:43 AM   #46
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Galaxy Note Pro 12.1? Has the pen, can do so much more than the limited readers they keep putting out.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #47
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Galaxy Note Pro 12.1? Has the pen, can do so much more than the limited readers they keep putting out.
True, but it doesn't have eink which is much easier on the eyes when reading for lengthy periods, which can be used in direct sunlight and which has much better battery life.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #48
deb2016
Enthusiast
deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox Max2 pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
True, but it doesn't have eink which is much easier on the eyes when reading for lengthy periods, which can be used in direct sunlight and which has much better battery life.
I was about to answeer this : easier reading experience (length and in sunny environment), battery life (4 weeks compared to at most a few hours).

A tablet with its bright screen (it is usually not advocated to read a long time on them) and all its gadgets (video/audio/connectivity/gps/sensors/camera/...) seems to me by far inadapted if your main goal is just to take some notes during a course, to annotate some documents and to read books/mangas ...

To my opinion, the onyx boox max has already too much : bluetooth and audio; removing them would have allowed for more battery life or lighter weight (if less battery units). But of course, the seller knows better than I what customers I likely to buy ...

The ideal ereader would have :
- a size of screen great enough to take notes (depends of your hand size, somewhere between A5 and A4 paper format at first guess)
- a dual touch screen (fingers + stylet) : should allow to take notes as if on paper, with the ability to come back to previous notes, to switch between them with fingers ... (this is a software requirement)
- battery life > 1 week
- free open system like android, at least rooting possible
- hardware (cpu unit / ram / storage) enough to allow smooth experience in most usages, so probably ram > 1GB, and storage extension
- a way to communicate with the world : wifi

and that is all.

For the rest, as you say, there are tablets
deb2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:18 PM   #49
stardest
Enthusiast
stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!stardest , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: None
I would have liked to get the Onyx Boox Max but for $900 USD it was just too expensive for me. So I opted for the Onyx N96ML with front light. My only uses for eink readers were to read books, read comic books, mangas and that’s pretty much it. I also like reading at night or should I say I have more free time to read at night hence the my choice for N96ML. I also like reading on the beach. If the Onyx Boox Max was a little cheaper (possibly $500 USD) and had a light (and dual touch but that’s probably asking for the moon) I would have gone for the Max.

I also have the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 tablet. And so when I thought about how much (or how little I use it for) I decided I can’t really afford the Max. I would also be absolutely pissed and miserable if I got the Max and it got broken and wow.. $900 down the drain. So for now, I’ll be satisfied that I have the Note Pro 12.2 if I want that super big screen for what I do and I’m sure I’ll be satisfied with the N96ML for now. I will possibly upgrade years from now if they ever release a MAX with frontlight and dual touch.

BTW I was able to get the brand new Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 for $500 thanks to rewards and coupons lol

Last edited by stardest; 05-04-2016 at 12:21 PM.
stardest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 12:56 PM   #50
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardest View Post
BTW I was able to get the brand new Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 for $500 thanks to rewards and coupons lol
Oh, nice deal. I use it for Note taking in OneNote but s-note is really good too. Nothing beats that pen for capturing screen caps or whole pages and pasting it right into the program you desire. I also use it for Annotation, surfing. Reading, I use my old PW or have Alexa or Kindle fire read it to me lol.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2016, 01:11 PM   #51
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stardest View Post
I would have liked to get the Onyx Boox Max but for $900 USD it was just too expensive for me. So I opted for the Onyx N96ML with front light. My only uses for eink readers were to read books, read comic books, mangas and that’s pretty much it. I also like reading at night or should I say I have more free time to read at night hence the my choice for N96ML. I also like reading on the beach. If the Onyx Boox Max was a little cheaper (possibly $500 USD) and had a light (and dual touch but that’s probably asking for the moon) I would have gone for the Max.

I also have the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 tablet. And so when I thought about how much (or how little I use it for) I decided I can’t really afford the Max. I would also be absolutely pissed and miserable if I got the Max and it got broken and wow.. $900 down the drain. So for now, I’ll be satisfied that I have the Note Pro 12.2 if I want that super big screen for what I do and I’m sure I’ll be satisfied with the N96ML for now. I will possibly upgrade years from now if they ever release a MAX with frontlight and dual touch.

i was in the same boat, wanting the front light and dual touch (was thinking N96 over the N96ML if i had to choose 9.7), but eventually i decided i wanted the 13.3 size while giving up those features.

after buying the N96ML, do you wish it was a little bigger or just right for displaying PDFs?
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #52
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/i...oid-e-reader#/
new rival to Onyx, and as compared to Goodereader has somewhat better features (the same as of Onyx) at the same price, and the company is of more reliable reputation. As I learned recently, the goodereader founders promised 6 inch ereader last year, but did not deliver it yet, and now gather funds for the 13.3 device. Since Icarus seems to fit into the subject of Goodereader and Onyx comparison, I've decided to post it here. In terms of design the Icarus very much reminds of Onyx. The exact place where the word "Onyx" is written in the Onyx model, in Icarus there is a glued piece of paper with the words "es" and date, the same holder for stylus.

It looks like 100% rebranded Onyx device.

Last edited by xtech; 05-09-2016 at 08:12 AM.
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:49 AM   #53
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Nice find! Indeed seems to be a rebranded Boox Max. Icarus used to do that, but I read that they have parted ways some months ago. Obviously they think there is room for a third player in this niche market - and actually, they may be right. The GoodEreader campaign has issues, and Onyx seems to have a distribution problem. Their U.S. distributor has exactly 0 models in stock: https://onyxboox.squarespace.com/ebookreaders
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:50 AM   #54
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Nice find! Indeed seems to be a rebranded Boox Max. Icarus used to do that, but I read that they have parted ways some months ago. Obviously they think there is room for a third player in this niche market - and actually, they may be right. The GoodEreader campaign has issues, and Onyx seems to have a distribution problem. Their U.S. distributor has exactly 0 models in stock: https://onyxboox.squarespace.com/ebookreaders
I learned from the Onyx international office that some other countries also expect the delivery of freight from China. So I suppose that they supply them as soon as they manufacture them, and it is perhaps for this reason that Icarus will be shipped later, also to replace the Onyx name, and maybe, desirably, to provide the tuned software.

It would be more logical if a company takes, on an agreement with the original manufacturer, the original piece, makes it better (or gathers funds to make it better), so, installs more operative memory, provides better functions, such usb host, better battery, updates design (let's say, optionally, removes that piece attached to the body, where the stylus is hold, to remove any distractions during reading), and then sell it with its own name.

Last edited by xtech; 05-10-2016 at 06:04 AM.
Old 05-11-2016, 04:59 AM   #55
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Actually it is 100% Onyx Max and the only difference between regular Onyx Max and this future device of Icarus will be the "Icarus" label on device and higher price for this "feature" . There is no difference in the software, since Icarus does not have own developers. It is just the way of distribution - they don't want to use original brand (Onyx) and just want to promote own brand.
I don't really like this company. Despite of higher prices they often refuse to repair malfunctioning devices and customers are permanently asking me for service.
I could repair and those devices. This is why I claim the software is not much different to original (except it is blocked for updates from other sources than their page)

UPD. Just talked with Onyx. They agree, that this way to collect money for re-branded Onyx is kind of scam. It is not allowed and Icarus will be stopped.

Last edited by Booxtor; 05-11-2016 at 05:07 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #56
deb2016
Enthusiast
deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!deb2016 , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Hello,

What is the best place to buy the onyx boox max from France ?

To my knowledge, there are ereader-store.de,e-readerweb.nl and recently also amazon.

All of them are still pre-orders, for amazon the vendor appears to be Lancer Technology which ships from China.

According to you, what is the best option ? Price is about the same, a little less for amazon, but my main concern is the shipment delay, do you know have much time it will take if I order it now (as a pre-order) ?

Thanks for your help

Best regards
Old 05-11-2016, 06:40 AM   #57
xtech
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
UPD. Just talked with Onyx. They agree, that this way to collect money for re-branded Onyx is kind of scam. It is not allowed and Icarus will be stopped.
Good to hear. Again, it would have made more sense, if the funds were gathered to pay to the developers to upgrade the software and hardware: 1. Provide Android 4.4 + (to support more application, including onenote). 2. Solve the issues with USB host. 3. Add the finger touch support 5. (personal preferrence) Replace the sony-style stylus holder from the device to the sleeve or to the new cover (this will remove all distractions during reading). 4. Etc

Last edited by xtech; 05-11-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #58
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb2016 View Post
Hello,

To my knowledge, there are ereader-store.de,e-readerweb.nl and recently also amazon.

All of them are still pre-orders, for amazon the vendor appears to be Lancer Technology which ships from China.

According to you, what is the best option ? Price is about the same, a little less for amazon, but my main concern is the shipment delay, do you know have much time it will take if I order it now (as a pre-order) ?

Thanks for your help

Best regards
Bonjour,

Je suis passé par ereader-strore.de qui livre via UPS. C'est à mon sens le meilleur choix. La différence de prix n'est pas grande entre les différents fournisseurs. Maintenant, un critère que je prends en compte est la qualité du service et du support. Pour l'instant, sur les produits ONYX, en lisant régulièrement ce forum, il n'y a pas de meilleur choix que ereader-store.de si les critères "qualité de service" et "support" sont prix en compte. Si c'est seulement le prix, il faut seulement veiller à ce que les mises à jour soient faciles à réaliser et non bloquées par le fournisseur; cette situation à eu lieu pour les produits ONYX vendus par Artatech (Pologne) dont les firmwaires évoluaient moins vite.

Pour un tel outil, la qualité de service, mais surtout celle du support sont prépondérants. Je n'hésite pas, quand cela est nécessaire, à payer plus cher quelque chose si ces deux critères sont présents.

Pour Amazon, il s'agit d'un nouveau vendeur, encore inconnu sur ce forum.

Ne pas oublier qu'en Europe, il y a 2 ans de garantie.

"Le prix s'oublie, la qualité reste."

Hello,

I've bought from France my M92 on ereader-store.de which deliver via UPS. For me it's the better choice. The difference between all prices isn't so high. In my opinion, an important criterion is the quality of service and the support. For now, for the ONYX products and reading regularly this forum, there is no better choice than ereader-store.de if the criteria of 'quality of service' and 'support' are taken in the thought. If it's only the price, take care that the updates are not locked by the vendor, it was the case for the ONYX's products sold by Artatech (Poland).

For this type of device, the quality of service and mainly the support are dominating. I don't hesitate, when it's necessary, to pay a higher price for something when this two criteria are present.

For Amazon, it's a new vendor, unknown for the moment in this forum.

Don't forget that in Europe, there is two years of 'warranty'.

Last edited by Randy11; 05-11-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 10:11 AM   #59
deb2016
Enthusiast

I think I'd go for ereader-store.de.

Thanks for your help

Best regards
Old 05-11-2016, 10:10 PM   #60
oranges
Enthusiast
oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!oranges is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Voyage, Onyx Boox N96 & Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb2016 View Post
all i can say is, amazon a-to-z guarantee
oranges is offline   Reply With Quote