Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 12:30 PM   #121
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Anyone who's completely dedicated to PDF *should* have Acrobat Pro - damn the cost. Me, I run across too many PDF ebooks to *not* have APro. Sometimes the added features of an application *do* warrant the added expense.

Derek
Still think over 600 euro is pricey ...
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #122
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
The FoxIt PDF editor is $99. Adobe is NOT the only software that you can use on PDF files.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 12:36 PM   #123
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Still wonder if a PDF editor is necessary ?

Surely one can use the likes of Bookdesigner and Mobireader/creator , or am I missing something obvious here
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #124
kleykenb
Groupie
kleykenb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1kS/Cy3
Quote:
Get BookDesigner, use Adobe Acrobat Pro to export your PDFs as HTML or Word .doc and, running a Windows emulator, use BookDesigner to create a Mobi version. Everyone knows that these 6" models aren't the best for PDF files, and that the Cybook has "problems" with PDFs.

Derek
Derek,
Your comments are those of a fan-boy. This device does not do what it promises and your comment that everybody knows that PDF is broken may be true now but not when many bought the device. I was an early adopter AND the PDF reading was no problem till I upgraded. As for downgrading the firmware : I WOULD LOVE TO DO that, but I can't because Bookeen has not reacted to my request for the link - and may never ! You might feel that people that buy a Cybook Gen3 for PDF reading have therefor somehow forfeited any rights they may have for a satisfying device, or should find it normal that they now have to pay for expensive software and a lengthy procedure to work around the devices problems but I find your reasoning a tad failing.
kleykenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:19 PM   #125
DocGo
DocGo began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
My Cybook's ability to read my medical PDF files also got broken/lost with the new firmware. These were files that I can read/open with the older firmware. I wish I can still downgrade to the older firmware.
DocGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 01:27 PM   #126
kleykenb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGo View Post
My Cybook's ability to read my medical PDF files also got broken/lost with the new firmware. These were files that I can read/open with the older firmware. I wish I can still downgrade to the older firmware.
If Bookeen ever sends me the link for the older firmware I'll post it.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM   #127
kleykenb
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
There are a few people here who installed the 538 firmware after they installed this latest firmware and had no problems whatsoever. This is a good recovery procedure - if you have the 538 firmware.
Can you give me the firmware ?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #128
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
WOW! I always knew these tax schemes were a scam.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #129
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleykenb View Post
Derek,
Your comments are those of a fan-boy. This device does not do what it promises and your comment that everybody knows that PDF is broken may be true now but not when many bought the device. I was an early adopter AND the PDF reading was no problem till I upgraded. As for downgrading the firmware : I WOULD LOVE TO DO that, but I can't because Bookeen has not reacted to my request for the link - and may never ! You might feel that people that buy a Cybook Gen3 for PDF reading have therefor somehow forfeited any rights they may have for a satisfying device, or should find it normal that they now have to pay for expensive software and a lengthy procedure to work around the devices problems but I find your reasoning a tad failing.
Ummm... Am I supposed to feel belittled? If so, you've certainly failed in your personal comments. Try again, please.

No, I do not believe PDF users have "forfeited" their rights by buying a Cybook; I'm just realistic enough and honest enough to admit - despite being a corporate officer of a company which sells them - that the Cybook Gen3 is not the best platform for reading PDFs nor does it appear that will improve for a while.

(And I have to ask, should a customer purchase from someone who cannot speak bad about the flaws in a product, or from someone who is honest about those flaws?)

Derek
Old 05-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #130
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
You could always ask me as I've got all the firmware files since 0.98. Can you accept a 9+MB zip file as an attachment?

No, you cannot post the file unless you get permission from Bookeen - but you can use it yourself.

Email me.

Derek
Old 05-15-2008, 02:15 PM   #131
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
I have sent you a private message.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:19 PM   #132
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
You could always ask me as I've got all the firmware files since 0.98. Can you accept a 9+MB zip file as an attachment?

No, you cannot post the file unless you get permission from Bookeen - but you can use it yourself.
Why not just post a link and if Bookeen ask you to remove it promise to to it the same day that they provide the source code for the GPL:ed parts of the Gen3.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:22 PM   #133
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Because they ask us not to. Two "wrongs" don't make a "right".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #134
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Because they ask us not to. Two "wrongs" don't make a "right".
Why should you respect there wish when they do not respect other peoples wishes? Actually in this case it makes it right.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:55 PM   #135
momghoti
Zealot
momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.momghoti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Bookeen
I just tried to 'downgrade' to version 538. Unfortunately, my cybook does not seem to get far enough into the firmware to allow it to flash. I was afraid of that, since it gets stuck at the first screen. I have no idea what to try now!
momghoti is offline   Reply With Quote