Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
BeBook Mobipocket support arrived

It isn't exactly a secret being kept under lock and key that BeBook had plans to introduce Mobipocket support for their e-book reader, but now we've received word that the upgrade is going to be officially released later today.

Quote:
It took some time to finetune this update. There's a pretty simple explanation: we wanted the update to be perfect.

It was tempting to release an earlier, near perfect version, but our programmers and the MobiPocket programmers convinced us to be patient.
You can download the upgrade from here:
  • BeBook update 39.151.878 bytes
  • MobiPocket Reader (this version has support for the BeBook; it'll take some more time for Mobipocket.com to update their website as well) 4.271.104 bytes

You will have to unpack the firmware, copy it on an SD card, and plug it into your BeBook device. Press and hold the V+ (volume up) button while switching on the reader. The update should then begin.

Enjoy.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
It isn't exactly a secret being kept under lock and key that BeBook had plans to introduce Mobipocket support for their e-book reader,
You mean the subtle hints like the banner ads we've been seeing for the last month?

This is excellent news!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:07 AM   #3
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You mean the subtle hints like the banner ads we've been seeing for the last month?

This is excellent news!
Heck yes! I diefintily have to try that one out tonight!

And on another note WOOHOO!!! My BeBook suports MOBI!
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
cognac
cognac began at the beginning.

Device: BEBOOK
Thank god, that is great news !!!!!! Now I can ask my friends to buy some BeBooks! with compliment, well done, BeBook.
cognac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #5
SilverBullit
SilverBullit began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Great news!
SilverBullit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Wonderful news! There is nothing wrong with trying to make an update "perfect".
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
A couple of questions:

With BeBook now supporting Mobipocket and iRex (possibly?) improving their Mobipocket implementation, will this leave Sony as the only major mobile eink device that doesn't support Mobipocket?

Also, if Mobipocket is becoming the defacto standard for ebooks, is there a solution to the problem that most Mobipocket titles are sold only by Amazon but only to Kindle owners?
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:42 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
will this leave Sony as the only major mobile eink device that doesn't support Mobipocket?
For now. Astak will presumably support eReader and Adobe Digital Editions, and any EInk device running WinCE (e.g. Plastic Logic) can probably do an end-run around MobiPocket's DRM exclusivity requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
is there a solution to the problem that most Mobipocket titles are sold only by Amazon but only to Kindle owners?
All MobiPocket titles can be sold at Amazon's discretion on the Kindle (its in MobiPocket's standard contract with publishers), but most Kindle ebooks are not MobiPocket titles. It is the case that most Kindle ebooks are using the MOBI format and MOBI DRM, but that does not mean that Amazon has the right to sell them to everyone as MobiPocket ebooks.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
So where is the Hanlin Mobipocket upgrade? I see that this firmware upgrade is (c) Nankai University and TianJin Jinke Corp.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:56 AM   #10
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW View Post
So where is the Hanlin Mobipocket upgrade? I see that this firmware upgrade is (c) Nankai University and TianJin Jinke Corp.
Jinke is the name of the company that manufactures the Hanlin e-readers
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Does this mean that if you buy a new BeBook the new firmware will already be installed? I've been thinking of getting one in a month but there is no big rush, my Kindle works fine. I just like the way it, the Bebook, looks.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 11:44 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You'd need to confirm that with whomever you bought from. New units shipped from the factory now have the new firmware, but dealers (if there are any?) may still have older stock.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You'd need to confirm that with whomever you bought from. New units shipped from the factory now have the new firmware, but dealers (if there are any?) may still have older stock.
Not that that's a big deal. You can still flash it with the updated firmware.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 12:55 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

True - I guess that there are people who like to have the "latest and greatest" version right out of the box, though .
Old 09-19-2008, 05:13 PM   #15
Ambersdad
Ambersdad began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Hi all,
Sorry if I get this wrong, but I have never used any kind of forum before. I have a query about the update to my BeBook. I use a mac and I could get the first file (the update one) into my BeBook ok, but the Mobipocket one is still on my desktop. It says in the instructions to double click on the file and run it then connect the BeBook. Only I think it must be a windows file because my mac can't open it. Does anyone have any suggestions how I can load that file onto my BeBook. I do not have access to a PC.
Cheers,
Allen.
Ambersdad is offline   Reply With Quote