Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
cptnemo
Enthusiast
cptnemo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Exclamation [Google Drive Warning] Issue migrating Calibre Library to a different computer

Hello,

I recently changed computer, moving from a Mac Mini to a MacBook Pro. Everything good with Migration Assistant: at the end of the day I had Calibre installed on the new computer playing correctly my library.
Problems started when I had to sync my MacBook with Google Drive (GD). GD doesn't allow (God knows why) to sync a copied folder even if it is the exact original copy. So I had to redownload from the cloud the entire GD folder where my library is located. After doing it I noticed -my hands shaking- that GD did not keep the digits in brackets that follow the book's title for the folder containing the book (e.g. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1169)). Of course now Calibre is not accessing the library anymore!

Does anyone know which steps should I follow to restore my Calibre library?

Thank you!

PS: I have kept the old library also!
cptnemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you have the old library, simply follow the instructions here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ter-to-another
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It has been noted in the past that GoogleDrive is not an appropriate tool for storing a Calibre library as it silently changes the file/folder names within the library (removing the calibre Id from the name). Quite why it does this I am not sure. I do not know if it intentional or a bug in GoogleDrive.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:56 AM   #4
cptnemo
Enthusiast

Yes, but I think my problem it is a bit more complicated. I can't use my folder as library because Calibre won't find the books if I do so. Clicking on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Calibre will reply that no such a book exists. Also after my request, Calibre will create a new folder The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1169) that will appear next to the folder The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
I think the only way to have Calibre correctly accessing the library will be forcing it to stop looking for folders with the bracketed digits.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnemo View Post
Yes, but I think my problem it is a bit more complicated. I can't use my folder as library because Calibre won't find the books if I do so. Clicking on The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Calibre will reply that no such a book exists. Also after my request, Calibre will create a new folder The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (1169) that will appear next to the folder The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
I think the only way to have Calibre correctly accessing the library will be forcing it to stop looking for folders with the bracketed digits.
The numbers in brackets are REQUIRED by Calibre for it to function correctly. That is why GoogleDrive removing them messes up Calibre's library.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
cptnemo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
The numbers in brackets are REQUIRED by Calibre for it to function correctly. That is why GoogleDrive removing them messes up Calibre's library.
Any idea how to (gently) ask Calibre to rewrite them?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
There's no way that calibre is going to be able to rewrite them for you, what you can do is maually fix them one at a time, by adding each messed up books' files to the corresponding book record in calibre, via the add formats button in the top right corner of the edit metadata dialog.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptnemo View Post
PS: I have kept the old library also!
If you have your old library, simply copy it to your local computer then switch to that library using the dropdown menu to the right of the library icon.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre library