Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-07-2012, 09:29 AM   #1
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
My curiosity is getting the best of me...

Here in my country, wireless internet on USB sticks are pretty popular and cheap too. I was wondering if they could be installed on an android device using those micro-usb thingies?

or would it depend on the program, i wonder...? Hmm...I wish i could test this theory out myself.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Most of the tablets I've run across do not allow usb devices to be used, only for connection to desktop.

I believe there are some that allow devices. The old entourage edge did for one and I'd guess the windows rigs do as well.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
The Archos tablets are designed specifically for the 3G USB adapter. I have a 32GB flash drive permanently installed in mine, though.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
Here in my country, wireless internet on USB sticks are pretty popular and cheap too. I was wondering if they could be installed on an android device using those micro-usb thingies?

or would it depend on the program, i wonder...? Hmm...I wish i could test this theory out myself.
Yes it's doable not all that difficult but involved. It requires compiling the USB drivers and updating the bootup scripts. The OP only lists 10 steps but step 1 and 2 require some additional steps (such as being rooted and having the source code (drivers) to your USB modem.)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1484339

Actually in retrospect folks that don't have an understanding in UNUX(Linux) might have a difficult time.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
I don't know if they're available where you are, but AT&T has a portable wifi hotspot you can carry around. Just set it someplace with a little elevation and turn it on (not too sure about carrying a live wifi hotspot in my pocket), and once its had a chance to warm up it'll give you a good wifi signal.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

I wonder if the Windows 8 tablets have that capability out of the box?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes it's doable not all that difficult but involved. It requires compiling the USB drivers and updating the bootup scripts. The OP only lists 10 steps but step 1 and 2 require some additional steps (such as being rooted and having the source code (drivers) to your USB modem.)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1484339

Actually in retrospect folks that don't have an understanding in UNUX(Linux) might have a difficult time.
=X=
how exciting! i wish i could learn this stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
I wonder if the Windows 8 tablets have that capability out of the box?
it would be great if they did.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
how exciting! i wish i could learn this stuff
Best way to learn is to do. The instructions are well written it wouldn't hurt to try once you get a tablet.

=X=
Old 09-08-2012, 01:04 AM   #9
wyndslash
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Best way to learn is to do. The instructions are well written it wouldn't hurt to try once you get a tablet.

=X=
can i do it on my kf? hmm...
Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
can i do it on my kf? hmm...
I couldn't tell you, but I would be inclined to believe you can since it is an Android device.
=X=