Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
scubasaida
scubasaida began at the beginning.

Device: Mac
Calibre for Mac running slowly

I downloaded calibre onto my mac and the program seems great, except it seems to be running extremely slowly. It takes forever for it to scroll through the list of books or respond in general.

I took a look at the program in activity monitor and I see a couple of things. First, its taking up almost 100% of my CPU, and this is a relatively new macbook pro. Secondly, it's also taking up 5 GB + of virtual memory space and 300 MB of physical memory.

No jobs are running and I only have about 140 books in the library (and even when there was 1 book in the library it was slow), is there any setting in preferences that could be causing the program to overload?
scubasaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasaida View Post
I downloaded calibre onto my mac and the program seems great, except it seems to be running extremely slowly. It takes forever for it to scroll through the list of books or respond in general.

I took a look at the program in activity monitor and I see a couple of things. First, its taking up almost 100% of my CPU, and this is a relatively new macbook pro. Secondly, it's also taking up 5 GB + of virtual memory space and 300 MB of physical memory.

No jobs are running and I only have about 140 books in the library (and even when there was 1 book in the library it was slow), is there any setting in preferences that could be causing the program to overload?
If this is a new install (or an upgrade from a really old , pre .8 version), it may be backing up your metadata. let it grind for many hours.
It should settle down once that task is done.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
scubasaida
scubasaida began at the beginning.

Device: Mac
I checked library metadata backup status, and it says "book metadata files remaining to be written:0"

If I have the program open but minimized it doesn't eat up CPU usage, only if I have it up on the screen.
scubasaida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasaida View Post
I checked library metadata backup status, and it says "book metadata files remaining to be written:0"

If I have the program open but minimized it doesn't eat up CPU usage, only if I have it up on the screen.
Guru Developer time , pleas stand by
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, cpu, mac, memory, performance