Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 02-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #1
MuckyMuck
MuckyMuck began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
Cloud Drive, is it possible for calibre to "connect" to an existing library?

Here is my use case. I like to have my ebooks stored in a cloud-based service. I had been using SugarSync for some time, but lately it seems to have gotten a bit buggy in the more recent versions, at least in how it behaves with Calibre.

So I decided to switch to Microsoft SkyDrive. I set it up so that the Calibre library is actually a subdirectory inside SkyDrive itself. This is really a nice setup because now I can have access to all of my ebooks from anywhere in the world, as long as I have my IPad and an internet connection.

The problem occurs when I try to introduce a second computer. This was not problem when I used SugarSync, but SkyDrive does things a bit differently and I have not been able to get it to work.

So I have computer A (let's say my desktop machine), and I was able to successfully move my library from my local drive to SkyDrive. This worked without a hitch. I also have computer B (my laptop), and I would like to have Calibre installed on it as well, and also for it to point to the same cloud drive as the other computer does. This way, whether I'm using computer A or B would not matter; I could simply add my book to calibre on either machine and the ebook file would make its way onto the cloud drive, and I would eventually be able to detect the new book addition on the other computer.

Unfortunately I have not been able to get the above to work. On computer B, when I try to change the location of the library and point to the cloud drive, calibre complains that I must choose an empty folder.

What would be nice is if I could just tell Calibre the location of an existing calibre library and have it automatically "rebuild" the library locally on that running instance. Am I making any sense here? Anyone have any idea if this sort of thing is doable? Thanks in advance.

Steve.
MuckyMuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The library has its own structure. Books are copied into the library, the source being left intact. Read the stickies at the top of this section for the Why's
There are posts from people who use SS or Dropbox with their library.
Rule 1:Only one Calibre computer can be connected to the library at any time. It is not multi-user aware and bad things can happen.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2013, 02:53 AM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckyMuck View Post
On computer B, when I try to change the location of the library and point to the cloud drive, calibre complains that I must choose an empty folder.Steve.
Switch/Create Library
New Location = your library on Skydrive - eg C:\Users\Steve\SkyDrive\Library
Select - Use the previously existing library at the new location
OK

That works for me

As theducks said, only one computer should using the library at any one time - otherwise things can go haywire.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:12 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's also worth noting that Calibre is not "network aware", and using remote drives for your Calibre library can result in Bad Things happening.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The problem occurs when I try to introduce a second computer. This was not problem when I used SugarSync, but SkyDrive does things a bit differently and I have not been able to get it to work.
I doubt it works much different.

Quote:
Unfortunately I have not been able to get the above to work. On computer B, when I try to change the location of the library and point to the cloud drive, calibre complains that I must choose an empty folder.
You have to wait for your entire library to be downloaded from the cloud. If there was a library file (metadata.db) in the root of the library directory your pointing to it would work fine.

Quote:
What would be nice is if I could just tell Calibre the location of an existing calibre library and have it automatically "rebuild" the library locally on that running instance. Am I making any sense here? Anyone have any idea if this sort of thing is doable? Thanks in advance.
Follow the directions BetterRed stated and it should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's also worth noting that Calibre is not "network aware", and using remote drives for your Calibre library can result in Bad Things happening.
Nice advice, but there is no reason to believe any network drive is involved. Most folks have their Skydrive on their local c:\ drive.

That said, you are correct the act of any cloud drive actively syncing files as they change can cause hiccups when upgrading, doing bulk metadata updates or bulk conversions. When I do any of the things with my library in Dropbox I pause syncing of Dropbox until the upgrade, bulk metadata updates or bulk conversions are completed.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
MuckyMuck
MuckyMuck began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
What a great community! Thanks guys, I appreciate all of your (very quick!) responses.

BetterRed, your instructions worked perfectly for me. Just what I was asking for. Thanks much!
MuckyMuck is offline   Reply With Quote