Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #16
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
True but with the price being like they are why spend the money on a DX when there are 6" readers for half the price
If all you want to read is books then a 6" reader is probably good enough. If you have to read large screen docs such as textbooks or tech reports, or for other random uses like me with manga, then the larger the screen the better.

At first I tried a 6" reader (a Sony PRS 505) cause I didn't want to spend the extra money and I liked the added portability. When I tried reading manga on it the screen was sharp enough that I could still read it even though it was so small, but the tiny words were straining my eyes. I ended up returning it, ordered the DX, and it is great for manga reading.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 AM   #17
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I had to look up what magna was, and now that I know I understand why the larger screen would be better
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #18
angelad
Groupie
angelad is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle dx
6' is enough for me, personally.
angelad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:29 PM   #19
barth90
Enthusiast
barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.barth90 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX , Paperwhite, Onyx Note Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
True but with the price being like they are why spend the money on a DX when there are 6" readers for half the price
Because the DX has 2 1/2 times the reading surface of a K2 for twice the price.

Price per square inches of reading space is cheaper on a DX.

Like the old saying: Once you tried a DX, you'll never want to go back to a smaller screen
barth90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:14 PM   #20
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I find Amazon's lack of response to the iPad very puzzling.

No product announcements, no price drops, nothing!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 09:25 PM   #21
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth90 View Post
Because the DX has 2 1/2 times the reading surface of a K2 for twice the price.

Price per square inches of reading space is cheaper on a DX.

Like the old saying: Once you tried a DX, you'll never want to go back to a smaller screen
I dont doubt that when I compare the K2 to the DX... my point is that for the money it makes it hard to purchase an item with limited capabilities.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:58 PM   #22
Bic
Connoisseur
Bic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it isBic knows what time it is

Device: Kindle or Sony
Asus and Copia are both coming out with 9" screens -- better than the 6" ones which I find too small, and smaller than the 10" ones which are too large to carry easily. And, at least Copia, claims theirs will be under $300.
Bic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #23
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post

Well apple has some explaining to do...

If the ipad can't use flash...and if the new iphone this summer can...

it sort of competes within itself.

That and the timing isn't good..a chunk of the northeast is dealing with flooding.

I've already had arguments with some that thought this came with 3G. Not everyone has wifi in their homes...so by assuming that alone means that people already have internet access. Being teathered to wifi areas doesn't help...

I know people with ipod touches that don't bother to show it to people if there's no wifi in the area..the effect wears off.

Supposedly kindle has 400K books..ipad as 60K...but there is the kindle app for ipad..so where is a ipad user going to go for books?

My major problem with apple products is although they make a great design it just wears off as it isn't an open system. My college used to have a few macs...they don't anymore because the percentages aren't there. Apple jumped the shark awhile ago. It can't claim to be unix based and then say it has terms of service that demand apps must be approved. We got past this (applications are dependent on the OS) thing 15 years ago.
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #24
edge777
Kindle Enthusiastic
edge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enoughedge777 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2 International
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Well apple has some explaining to do...

If the ipad can't use flash...and if the new iphone this summer can...

it sort of competes within itself.

That and the timing isn't good..a chunk of the northeast is dealing with flooding.

I've already had arguments with some that thought this came with 3G. Not everyone has wifi in their homes...so by assuming that alone means that people already have internet access. Being teathered to wifi areas doesn't help...

I know people with ipod touches that don't bother to show it to people if there's no wifi in the area..the effect wears off.

Supposedly kindle has 400K books..ipad as 60K...but there is the kindle app for ipad..so where is a ipad user going to go for books?

My major problem with apple products is although they make a great design it just wears off as it isn't an open system. My college used to have a few macs...they don't anymore because the percentages aren't there. Apple jumped the shark awhile ago. It can't claim to be unix based and then say it has terms of service that demand apps must be approved. We got past this (applications are dependent on the OS) thing 15 years ago.

Huh?????? You had an interesting list of irrelevant facts that had nothing to do with this post, but hey why not respond anyway, lol.

What does Apple have to explain?

Maybe I want a phone, and a larger form factor for reading, etc.

Usually companies don't determine product release dates on natural disasters. Sorry to hear about your flooding, but although Apple's a pretty good company, they don't have a crystal ball.

You want an iPad with 3G, they're coming, just wait a few extra weeks (no deception here, dates have been advertised since the beginning - unless of course one can't read, but then a Kindle is moot). For those of us who don't want or need 3G, it's nice to have the wifi version (cheaper, no data plan needed).

Um, I think it's great the iPad will have a Kindle App. What's wrong with this? What's wrong with people wanting an iPad and Kindle books, or an iPad that can readily access all their current Kindle books?

Open system, ya, agreed, but hey, not like the Kindle is open, lol.

And finally, your post had nothing to do with this thread (hijack much??). Back to the original question, I think that once the iPad is out, there will be more used DX's on eBay and Craig's list, and with more supply and less depend, the price should go down (but how much, time will tell). I'd wait until May to pick one up.
edge777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #25
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post

Um, 'Kindle for iPad' was announced. That is a response, and a very germane one.

I would not expect a price drop in DX just because iPad has shipped. They occupy largely disjoint product segments; they don't compete very directly (well okay, it remains to be seen). It's not clear that Amazon can drop the price much, while still making money. They are not selling nearly as many DX's as K2i's, so it will take them longer to realize economies of scale and recoup development costs. If the DX doesn't make Amazon money in some way, there's not much point in offering it. High-end products do not make good 'loss leaders'. And, relative to the other large-screen dedicated reading devices currently available (iRex etc.), it is still favorably priced.

Even if iPad sales diminish interest in DX, a price drop is not guaranteed to revive interest while maintaining profit margins. Only Amazon knows what they'll do with pricing.

In the meantime I'm sure Amazon is hoping for some new customers among the people buying iPads, and every reason to expect Kindle for iPad sooner rather than later.

Last edited by tomsem; 04-01-2010 at 02:41 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 PM   #26
mdovell
Zealot
mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.mdovell could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

"What does Apple have to explain?"

Because it is nearly mimicking what sega did in the late 90s

"Maybe I want a phone, and a larger form factor for reading, etc."

True but there's just too many formats

"You want an iPad with 3G, they're coming, just wait a few extra weeks (no deception here, dates have been advertised since the beginning - unless of course one can't read, but then a Kindle is moot). For those of us who don't want or need 3G, it's nice to have the wifi version (cheaper, no data plan needed)."

True to a point but there are some that assume that wifi is everywhere when that isn't the case.

"Um, I think it's great the iPad will have a Kindle App. What's wrong with this? What's wrong with people wanting an iPad and Kindle books, or an iPad that can readily access all their current Kindle books?"

there's nothing wrong with that at all but apple certainly isn't going to make as much money on it as they thought they would. It reminds me of way back in the day when coleco came out with an adapter to pay atari games on its console..not exactly the brightest move.

"Open system, ya, agreed, but hey, not like the Kindle is open, lol."

Calibre certainly helps as does the font hacks.

I think the demand will vary. Mostly because this doesn't feel as big as the last releases. Iphone was big because it was a smart phone...ipod was big because it was a simple mp3 player...but this? not so much
mdovell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #27
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Amazon has no other choice than going more niche. Not everyone takes it for granted that ipad is the second coming of Jesus Christ and it will have no competition for a year or two.

Actually, Apple didn’t set the bar as high they could or did with the ipod. The high standards and expectations of the Android community will effectively push down price while demanding ipod like functionality.

I think we should be more curious how the Android community reacts than Amazon's inept response.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 04:32 AM   #28
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
I hope BMW will drop their damn prices now that the iPad comes to the market.
Nice wish but why should they? Why should amazon?

They should wait if the iPad really has any affect on their business and if so if it will really be a negative affect and not suddenly a positive one?

I saw a iPad screen in bright sunlight these days and have to say its crap ... really crap outside. Take your iPhone outside and try to read. You like it? Ok you have my respect for beeing hardcore.

I am not sure if the iPad will be more then a reader for "casual" readers or "specialized" readers (Comics, coloured Magazines etc.).
It will be a sucess model but hard to tell now if it will be so for the ebook market and which effect it'll have in Amazon/Kindle. So why should they drop the price?
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote