Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-17-2017, 07:19 AM   #1
buggs
buggs began at the beginning.

Device: PW 1
Problems after a firmware update

So I have had PW 1 for a couple of years and it looks like I JB'ed it in the past, as I have Coolreader among the books and ** Jail break ** line appeared at some point during the reboot, after I have just upgraded the firmware to the latest one.. (version 5.6.1.1)

So basically after an upgrade, everything seems to be working apart from the fonts window which when clicked won't disappear and would remain on the screen (the fonts themselves can be changed and are changed when chosen, but the pop-up itself doesn't disappear/close and remains on the screen).

Anyway, (not sure if needed) but I have successfully uploaded and installed JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.

Also, I have just noticed that when I open a book for the second time it opens with a blank white screen. any book. So firstly after a reboot, everything seems to be working and then if you go to the Home menu and re=open the same book again it would be a blank screen.

Any ideas how to fix these issues?

Thanks..
buggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggs View Post
So I have had PW 1 for a couple of years and it looks like I JB'ed it in the past, as I have Coolreader among the books and ** Jail break ** line appeared at some point during the reboot, after I have just upgraded the firmware to the latest one.. (version 5.6.1.1)

So basically after an upgrade, everything seems to be working apart from the fonts window which when clicked won't disappear and would remain on the screen (the fonts themselves can be changed and are changed when chosen, but the pop-up itself doesn't disappear/close and remains on the screen).

Anyway, (not sure if needed) but I have successfully uploaded and installed JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.

Also, I have just noticed that when I open a book for the second time it opens with a blank white screen. any book. So firstly after a reboot, everything seems to be working and then if you go to the Home menu and re=open the same book again it would be a blank screen.

Any ideas how to fix these issues?

Thanks..
Thanks for starting a thread for this specific problem.

In the first pair of posts (question and reply) we determined the model and the firmware version in question.
And what we know at this point:

The problem has not been reported in the past, at least not in my recollection. (Which might be a problem with my memory, but then ...)

I do have that model of Kindle, which is running that version of the firmware and I do not have any fonts that behave as described.

You have coolreader installed, do you have anything else installed from here?
One of our font add-ins perhaps.

If yes, did you re-install them after the update and re-installation of the "hotfix"? (which was the correct thing to do by the way.)
If no, then re-install everything you got from here and then see if the font selection thing has the same problem.
(Only the jail break is protected during version updates, everything else should always be re-installed.)

Do you have anything installed from somewhere else?
Perhaps Dorkian?
(If you don't know what that is, then you probably don't have it installed)

Last edited by knc1; 09-17-2017 at 08:22 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
buggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Thanks for starting a thread for this specific problem.

In the first pair of posts (question and reply) we determined the model and the firmware version in question.
And what we know at this point:

The problem has not been reported in the past, at least not in my recollection. (Which might be a problem with my memory, but then ...)

I do have that model of Kindle, which is running that version of the firmware and I do not have any fonts that behave as described.

You have coolreader installed, do you have anything else installed from here?
One of our font add-ins perhaps.

If yes, did you re-install them after the update and re-installation of the "hotfix"? (which was the correct thing to do by the way.)
If no, then re-install everything you got from here and then see if the font selection thing has the same problem.
(Only the jail break is protected during version updates, everything else should always be re-installed.)

Do you have anything installed from somewhere else?
Perhaps Dorkian?
(If you don't know what that is, then you probably don't have it installed)
Thanks for a quick response.

Apart from Coolreader I don't think I installed anything in the past.

Yesterday I installed KUAL, Helper+.

Then I tried to update Python and upload a font fix as well as a RescuePack, however, these things haven't installed successfully from Helper+ for some reason.. when I clicked on install it ran some checks and then reported that there was nothing to install.

I didn't re-install Coolreader on the other hand. Shall I? or maybe delete it completely?

No Dorkian or anything else I think.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for a quick response.

Apart from Coolreader I don't think I installed anything in the past.

Yesterday I installed KUAL, Helper+.

Then I tried to update Python and upload a font fix as well as a RescuePack, however, these things haven't installed successfully from Helper+ for some reason.. when I clicked on install it ran some checks and then reported that there was nothing to install.

I didn't re-install Coolreader on the other hand. Shall I? or maybe delete it completely?

No Dorkian or anything else I think.
Thanks for that list of information, I can now (guess) what is wrong:
With version 5.6.1.1 you must install MrPI and use MrPI to install packages.

This page (for all updates):
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030
For MrPI, see the bottom of the "KUAL and KUAL Extensions" section.
(MrPI is one of the "Un-archive into top of visible USB storage" type packages. The text of the post tells how to deal with *.xz archives.)

Then use your new MrPI to install the current build of Python from that page.

I don't know what you mean by "uploaded a font fix" - if you can't get it working, give a link or details to find what it is that you are using.

RescuePack is a "good idea" even if you never use it -
You had better get the current build of that from the same page of snapshots and use your new MrPI to install it (it is probably not installed either).

= = = = =

Bottom line:
Nothing is broken.
You just got caught be some of the changes in procedure(s) required by the newer firmware (that your old firmware version did not need).

PS:
You aren't the first with a PW-1 that got caught by those changes.
I just did not recognize what had happened from the problem that you see.

Last edited by knc1; 09-17-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #5
buggs

knc1, yep thanks but that's what I did and meant when wrote "Then I tried to update Python and upload a font fix as well as a RescuePack, however, these things haven't installed successfully from Helper+ for some reason.. when I clicked on install it ran some checks and then reported that there was nothing to install."

MrPI is a part of Helper plus and when I copy Python folder into mrpackages folder and then run MrPI from the Helper menu, it starts and then it says No MR packages found..
Advert
Old 09-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
knc1, yep thanks but that's what I did and meant when wrote "Then I tried to update Python and upload a font fix as well as a RescuePack, however, these things haven't installed successfully from Helper+ for some reason.. when I clicked on install it ran some checks and then reported that there was nothing to install."

MrPI is a part of Helper plus and when I copy Python folder into mrpackages folder and then run MrPI from the Helper menu, it starts and then it says No MR packages found..
Using the packages from NiLuJe's snapshot thread in all cases:
re-install the current KUAL build.
re-install the current MrPI.
use MrPI to re-install the current Python build.

Then check MrPI's log file for the messages produced by the attempt to install Python.
It should tell us WHY MrPI thought there wasn't any packages in /mrpackages to install.

And while you are re-downloading things, please give a link to this thing you are calling a "font fix".
Once we have the installation of update_*.bin name format packages solved, then we can chase down what it is about this mystery "font fix" that is causing your troubles.

The 5.6.1.1 firmware (for the PW-1, there was also a version built for the PW-3) has been out for a very long time, and we have not been swamped by reports of problems.