Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers

Notices

Old 01-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Worth mentioning:
The 9.7" E Ink display has a screen resolution of 1,200 x 825. It has TTS and has a rear-facing speaker. The E930 also supports a wide variety of file formats: MP3, wav, and arm for audio, and Heb, Epub, PDF, FB2, Mobi, doc, html, chm, and txt for ebooks.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 03:54 AM   #2
kaos210
kaos210 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prts 3
Hi, I'm really interested of this device and I have some question for you:
- where you buy it?? The price??I'm in italy and I don't know who send in italy.
- I understand well??? it's android but it's impossible to install some other software??
- I would use for taking note , read technical manual (IT manuals) and make a to-do list ,you recommended me? thank you so much
kaos210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2015, 05:07 AM   #3
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I bought it from Taobao via Yoybuy. Taobao is a huge Chinese webshop, but they deliver only in China. Yoybuy is a Taobao agent: they order the items for you and forward them to you anywhere in the world, for a fee of 10%. Their website is in English and quite easy to use. This was my first transaction, and it went perfectly. I paid by PayPal so if something had gone wrong, I would have been covered by warranty.

You can use the link http://www.taobao.com/product/%E6%BC...8E%8Be930.html to find the device on Taobao. You can sort by price to find the cheapest option. Then, copy the url, go to yoybuy.com and paste it into the box. From here just follow the instructions.

All in all, it cost me around EUR 400 including express shipping. You could get it for a little less with cheaper shipping, or if you run into a good price on Taobao. You can also buy it directly on AliExpress, but the price is around EUR 500.

Indeed the device runs Android, but it is closed, and I have not found a way to install applications. Maybe someone in China will root it, but it will be hard to get this information in Europe.

There is no to-do list installed. You could use the memo function (type notes with the on-screen keyboard), but there is no added functionality like ticking items, setting start dates and deadlines, alerts, priorities, categories, sorting, filtering, etc. that I would expect in a to-do app.

The unique features of the E930 are Dual touch, front lighting, and the synchronised audio playback trick (described in my first post above). If you don't need these features, other devices may be better:
- Onyx Boox M96, with open Android, for around 300 EUR. You can install note-taking, to-do, and other apps. Based on your requirements, this is probably the best option.
- Used Onyx Boox M92 or Irex DR1000S. Both support handwriting, the Irex is nicer (writing is smoother, software is better for note-taking). The M92 is smaller and has much better battery life. Neither have a built-in todo app. You can install third-party apps on them, but the selection is small, and I have not found a to-do app for either device. The price for these, in good condition, is around EUR 150-200. They pop up occasionally on the Flea Market of Mobileread.

I hope this helps - let me know if you have more questions.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:14 PM   #4
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Scribbling in the "Recording memo" application

Here is an overview of what you can do with this function of the E930:
  • Time to open note: 3 sec for a 1-page note
  • Undo: No
  • Erase: Yes, stroke
  • Add page (at end): Yes
  • Insert page (between pages): Yes
  • Delete page: Yes
  • Clear page: Yes
  • Background templates: Blank background only
  • Copy-paste: No
  • Automatic save: Yes (scribbles are saved if you turn off the device before exiting the note first)
  • Saved format is visible (can be re-opened) on device: Yes
  • Backup to format readable by device and PC: Yes, to pdf or png with included software
  • Rename note: Yes
  • Sort notes: By title / time, asc/desc
  • Search notes: No
  • Sticky search (go back to search result list after viewing one of the search results): No
  • Universal search: No
  • Handwriting recognition: No
  • Multi-tasking: No

As with most of the e-ink devices I have tried, the software is almost perfect, but a few missing features spoil the experience. In the case of the E930, it's the missing search functions. I absolutely need to be able to search in the titles of my notes, and find it hard to believe that an experienced manufacturer like Hanvon would forget something like that. I will try to write to them and request this function in a firmware update. If you know anyone who speaks Chinese and would be willing to translate a few sentences from English, please write me a PM.

Other than the lack of search, the device is excellent for handwritten note-taking from my perspective, and the synchronised sound-recording feature is seriously useful.

Last edited by Jmirko; 02-20-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
Tomana
Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: treo 650
Jmirko,.I.can do.the translation. Just drop me the lines through pm or here.
I tried the E930 at their outlet in Shenzhen and its appalling. Instantly extinguished all my want for it. I am very interested in your experience with it.

Still contemplating getting a E920 instead of e930. The resolution on E920 is.better than e930? ?
Tomana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2015, 02:45 AM   #6
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Tomana, thank you, I appreciate your offer! I will send you a pm with my suggestions about the E930.

Why did you think the E930 was appalling? There is certainly room for improvement, but I don't think it's so bad at all. Certainly a pioneer with 9.7 inch screen, front light, dual touch and sound recording...
Yes, the E920 has a higher resolution, but I don't think it's necessary. The smaller size and synchronised recording function of the E930 are more important for me.

Off: do you really still use a Treo 650? I was a die-hard Palm fan, owned many of their devices from the V to the 680. How did you keep the Treo alive for 10 years?

Last edited by Jmirko; 02-26-2015 at 02:49 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 04:42 AM   #7
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Nice you got the E930! Congrats!

Can you take some pictures?

Still using my E920 daily, mostly for reading .pdf and .epubs, and still loving it Especially the high resolution, I could not imagine downgrading to a lower resolution than 1600x1200 again, like with the m92 I owned before
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:39 PM   #8
Tomana
Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tomana has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: treo 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Tomana, thank you, I appreciate your offer! I will send you a pm with my suggestions about the E930.

Why did you think the E930 was appalling? There is certainly room for improvement, but I don't think it's so bad at all. Certainly a pioneer with 9.7 inch screen, front light, dual touch and sound recording...
Yes, the E920 has a higher resolution, but I don't think it's necessary. The smaller size and synchronised recording function of the E930 are more important for me.

Off: do you really still use a Treo 650? I was a die-hard Palm fan, owned many of their devices from the V to the 680. How did you keep the Treo alive for 10 years?
Yes... still using a Treo 650....BUT as an alarm clock only. Can't really live with out Google service now... and sync a palm with Google is not really an option now... I recalled there is a service that Palm user can subscribe to to enable over-the-air sync with Google service but the subscription is rather too expensive. We all have to move on...:P right? Now using a Note 4. My Palm V is still very healthy... but honestly... without much use now.

The demo unit that I tried in Shenzhen may have some problems.... maybe due to over-use or something like that. It lagged so much that even the saleperson who was trying to demo it said sorry to me. Can't even change page smoothly. That's why I said it's appalling. I am very surprised that that reader can be that bad and quite sure it's that particular one that has problems. They only have one at the counter so there's no chance that I can try it.
Tomana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 03:19 AM   #9
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomana View Post
The demo unit that I tried in Shenzhen may have some problems....
Probably, yes. The response rate on my E930 is also not stellar, but does register about 90% of taps. Lag is not worse than other e-ink devices I have tried, but it's not as quick as a modern LCD tablet.

I do have the ambition to do a video review of the English interface, but very busy these days so I can't make any promises.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #10
zvant
zvant began at the beginning.

Device: hanvon e920
hanvon e920

hej! could anyone help me i? got an hanvon e920 and epub doesnt work?? how can i get the connection? was there something erased? i got the ebook from a friend and i love everything about it, but i am just abel to read pdf files.....would be happy about any help..
zvant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 02:01 AM   #11
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Sorry, but I have no idea what could be wrong.
I thought maybe you could try reinstalling or updating the firmware, but I only. found an update package:

http://www.hanwang.com.cn/download/3274.jhtml

I doubt that this would help.

Maybe gamba66 has some ideas...
Old 05-06-2015, 07:42 AM   #12
zvant
zvant began at the beginning.

Device: hanvon e920
hanvon e920

thank u jmirko i will try this update...if gamba66 has any more ideas?...would try anything!
zvant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:08 AM   #13
gamba66
Zealot
gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gamba66 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanvon E920
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvant View Post
thank u jmirko i will try this update...if gamba66 has any more ideas?...would try anything!
Yes! Update from the link!

http://www.hanwang.com.cn/search.jsp...q=e920&submit=

epub works fine, although some german special characters are missing and the dollar sign is a yen sign instead
gamba66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 11:14 AM   #14
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
I have a dumb question. How do you access microSD slot and USB port on E920? Cant seem to get the cover off. Help is much appreciated
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 12:11 AM   #15
M4H35H
Connoisseur
M4H35H doesn't litterM4H35H doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-950, Hanvon E920, Onyx Boox Note Lite, Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4H35H View Post
I have a dumb question. How do you access microSD slot and USB port on E920? Cant seem to get the cover off. Help is much appreciated
Edit: Managed to pry it open. Thank you.
M4H35H is offline   Reply With Quote