Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
stoney77
Enthusiast
stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Elipsa 2e, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura HD, iPad Pro, Kindle Oasis
Kobo Aura Collections Trashed/Firmware 3.2

I have a Kobo Aura HD and I noticed yesterday that the device had upgraded to firmware 3.2 (dated 2/12/2014) and, ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!! my collections were trashed!

Has anyone else had this problem with this firmware upgrade and any solutions to stop this from occurring again and again and again?

Although I really have enjoyed the Aura, this is getting ridiculous.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by stoney77; 03-06-2014 at 09:22 AM.
stoney77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Maybe could you share with us HOW you are setting up collections etc?

Are these collections defined via the interface on the device itself, or, via calibre?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Have you re-synced with Kobo, if you keep your collections synced there? Or reloaded them with Calibre, if you keep them there?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #4
stoney77
Enthusiast
stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.stoney77 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

I created the collections on the Kobo itself and it's a very simple arrangement: Fiction, NonFiction, etc. for a total of 10 colllections. For example, the Fiction collection had 80 books and now, after the update, it's set back to 0. A couple of the other collections had a small handful of books. Some were reset to 0 and a few have 1 or 2 books in them.

Last time this happened, I added the Kobo add-on to calibre and rebuilt the database and re-synced with Kobo which reset all collections to 0. I then spent a couple of hours putting the books back into the collections they were previously in. Fortunately I keep a spreasheet of which books I have in each collection (thanks to this problem) so it's just matter of painstakingly doing the same task over and over again.

This has now happened at least 5 times in the 9 months I have had this device. Even though I really like the Aura HD, I can't keep doing this. I'm on the verge of quitting the Kobo and just using my Kindle Fire HD or iPad for reading.

By the way, I wasn't aware you could set up Kobo collections via calibre. Can you please tell me how to do that? I also had the problem of not being able to add any books to some of the collections and found that there were duplicate collections which I could not delete. Calibre helped solved that problem.

Thanks for your replies. Very appreciated.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoney77 View Post
By the way, I wasn't aware you could set up Kobo collections via calibre. Can you please tell me how to do that?
It's all in the sticky thread at the top of this forum, "Quick Guide to Shelf Management with calibre 0.9.1 & above".
Advert
Old 03-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:

By the way, I wasn't aware you could set up Kobo collections via calibre. Can you please tell me how to do that?
Ohhh... you are missing out! That is the ONLY way to go! Yes read the thread at the top of the Kobo forum....it makes using the Kobo so simple, and therefore makes it the best device around for book management.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
One more vote for Calibre based shelf or collection management. It is the only way to go if you have a lot of side loaded stuff.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 06:46 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Actually that sounds a lot like a corrupt database. Which we have all experienced from time to time. The only way to avoid this is to always 100 percent eject your device from the computer.

And as TechniSol suggests calibre can be used to back up your database and manage your shelves.

However one Further thing you can do, is turn the automatic nightly syncing off.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
stoney77
Enthusiast

Thanks to all who responded. I tried everything in the "Quick Guide to Shelf Management" and so far it works like a charm! I added a few new books and they all appeared in the correct collection on my Aura HD.

I assume that I can now go back into calibre and place all the remaining books in the various collections by using the My Shelves column that I created??

Thanks again--this is going to turn out to be a lifesaver. I just hope subsequent upgrades don't trash the collections all over again.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #10
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
I assume that I can now go back into calibre and place all the remaining books in the various collections by using the My Shelves column that I created??
Yes! And if you are like me, and change your mind about what you want on what shelf, make all the changes you want in Calibre, then the next time you connect your device, all your changes will be made!

And I don't think updates will affect your Calibre-created shelves in any way.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:

Thanks again--this is going to turn out to be a lifesaver. I just hope subsequent upgrades don't trash the collections all over again.
Upgrades have never trashed Calibre-created collections for me. But if you get some glitch that does do that, you can simply reload them from Calibre. No muss, no fuss.

Enjoy!