Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #1
CRidley
CRidley began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Kindle Collector

Hello, I am new to this forum, although I have browsed it's pages a number of times.

I'm sure you've all noticed how bad organising your collections is on the Kindle 3 if you have a large amount of books?

Most of you will know about the collections.json file. I saw a request on this site for a user interface to manipulate it, so I made one.

You can find it at http://www.riddleware.co.uk/ (the site is hideous, you can tell I'm not a designer). Before you ask, it is free and contains nothing dodgy, I just wanted a tool to organise my collections, and thought I'd share it with you all - I'd also appreciate any feedback. (there are instructions on the site but any questions feel free to get in touch).

You can contact me from the contact page on my site.

Cheers.

Here's a quick screenshot :

It tells you if books are already in collections and shows which folders have books which are not yet in collections to make lif easier.

Last edited by CRidley; 03-01-2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Adding a bit more info
CRidley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
Jeton
Enthusiast
Jeton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
This should help people with a lot of books.
I've read your comment regarding the icons of the app.
Why not use famfam's SILK icons?
http://www.famfamfam.com/lab/icons/silk/

They would look good and much better that the actual ones.
Jeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
CRidley

Thanks, I'll try to add useful comments when i can.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #4
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
This looks very useful. Thank you!
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Something did not work correctly.

I just tried your program. I had had 85 Mysteries. Now I have 34.

Besides, I now have 44 pages of items whereas before I had about 18. So a slew of books seem to have wound up "collectionless."

I don't blame you. I will restore my backup copy (I made my own). It is beta.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #6
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Looks brilliant: I will be downloading and trying this out!
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:35 AM   #7
CRidley

FF2, Sorry about that, I did fix a bug with adding collections, then used it extensively last night and it all seemd to work. I have updated the website with a new installer, so anyone who downloaded it before this comment should reinstall from the website.

If anyone has any issues like this i'd appreciate if you could send the collections.json file so I can debug.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am UNinstalling prior version and will give this one a try probably.

Question: With the older version, on the right, I saw UNcollected books in folders with ones that were already collected. I could NOT select (using Ctrl-click) multiple books at one time. At least, I think that was an issue? What I did at that point was drag the WHOLE folder to the Left column collection. Obviously, some books were already "collected." Can multiples be selected? Is dragging and entire folder (with mixed collected and non-collected) okay?

I will definitely keep my own backup when I try this again.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Hello CRidley Hats off to you for making the effort to produce a collections manager, unfortunately it has not worked too well for me. Installation was flawless, I launched the program and made one change from within the program and then restarted the kindle as instructed. Hey presto all my collections have vanished! Every one! I should have followed FF2's advice and backed up before I started! I don't know if the OS has any effect on the program? Win 7 HP 64bit. I should add, no harm done, I had a .json backup that I made about a week ago, just a warning to make a backup of your collections file beforehand.
Cheers
Paul

Last edited by Paulinafrica; 03-02-2011 at 12:43 PM.
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
FF2
Wizard

Paul:

Was this with the newly updated version or the initial "buggy" version?

I have not tried the new version.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:21 PM   #11
Paulinafrica
Zealot
Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Paulinafrica can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle Android, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Paul:

Was this with the newly updated version or the initial "buggy" version?

I have not tried the new version.
Yes, it is the newly updated version 0.0.1.0 which I downloaded about an hour or so ago.
Cheers
Paul
Paulinafrica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur
Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another one?!

May I recommend one more program for handling collections?

Easy Collections on Kindle 3 - Use Koll3ction!
http://kindlevarazs.wordpress.com/20...glish-version/

Feel free to try and use!
Kindlevarazs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
FF2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindlevarazs View Post
May I recommend one more program for handling collections?

Easy Collections on Kindle 3 - Use Koll3ction!
http://kindlevarazs.wordpress.com/20...glish-version/

Feel free to try and use!
Welcome. I might suggest that you start your own thread about your Collection manager/program. That will make things less confused if folks have questions or problems with one of them.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 AM   #14
CRidley

@ FF2 - If you drag a whole folder into a collection, it will add all books in that folder to the collection, (any books in that folder already in the collection will stay in the collection without duplication). You can drag books (and folders) into as many collections as you have.

@ PaulinAfrica - I'm awfully sorry you found a bug, Any chance you kept the buggy collections.json file, as if I have a look I can probably fix it and find out what happened.

Also, the software should create a backup folder with your old collections.json file in it, just in case a bug occurs (it might be a simple question of a character in a book name that it doesn't like - although I organised 1000+ books on my kindle with it I have not tested for all possible input as I do not have the time to do this).

And by the way, I cannot see what books are on your kindle if you send me your collections.json as the names are encrypted 1-way, i just need to be able to see the structure of the file to try and find the issue.

@Kindlevarazs - looks good might check it out. Also yes, please start your own thread so I can spam it with details of my app

Last edited by CRidley; 03-03-2011 at 05:02 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-03-2011, 05:48 AM   #15
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur
Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I didn't think it seems spam:-(
Kindlevarazs is offline   Reply With Quote