Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-01-2009, 03:45 PM   #46
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Kovid, haven't you learned anything from American politics. You ride the wave of support, collect the contributions and then, if the release fails, you blame it on Apple. :-)
Darn! I knew I was missing out on something by not watching TV
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:14 AM   #47
FredUruncle
FredUruncle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Snow Leopard Blues

Sadly, I upgraded both my Mac Pro and my Macbook Pro with Snow Leopard. Once this was done only two apps didn't work just fine. Calibre and a news ticker called NewsTicker

This saddens me greatly since I used the news fetch all the time. I have installed calibre 6.10 on my WindowsXP Parallels VM and pointed it towards my Mac library and all seems to work OK but it crashes there every once in a while also. It won't run at all under SL.

Any way to make the Windows version work with that CrossOver thing?

I do still have a bootable leopard backup on my Drobo for my laptop. There are work arounds but truly a pain.

Your efforts to fix this Kovil will be greatly appreciated.
FredUruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 05:33 AM   #48
dieterf
dieterf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone
For Work-Around:
1. Install Rosetta (not included by standard OS installation)
2. Open "Info" dialog for "Calibre" (0.6.10 on my system)
3. Check on "open in Rosetta"

Calibre now starts (first time a little bit slowly, because Rosetta will launched) and i can also connect to the web-server and stanza catalog.

Last edited by dieterf; 09-02-2009 at 05:38 AM.
dieterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:01 AM   #49
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I had the same thought about using Rosetta. Calibre seemed to boot up fine. Any problems or does the program work well in Rosetta? Conversions work?
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:28 AM   #50
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
With Rosetta installed, V 6.10 still crashes, but it does at least work. You may have to restart a few times though.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2009, 11:44 AM   #51
StDo
Translating Calibre...
StDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with othersStDo plays well with others

Device: [PRS-500], PB360
Da... - I just've been too fast with installing SnowLeopard.

But with Rosetta it works fine, however slow.
StDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #52
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I've not had any success with Rosetta, unfortunately.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:09 PM   #53
dieterf
dieterf is on a distinguished road

You have already checked "Open with Rosetta" in Calibre's info dialog?

Last edited by dieterf; 09-02-2009 at 02:17 PM.
dieterf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:44 PM   #54
gfoster
gfoster began at the beginning.

I got it to work without rosetta, but I had to launch it about 10 times before it would stay up long enough to do anything. Made it a real hassle since I'm leaving on a cruise on friday and wanted to load books on my wife's kindle as well as my own.

I also tried it with the rosetta option both enabled and disabled. It will eventually work without it, but it works more frequently with it checked (it still crashes frequently, just not as frequently). I didn't realize how much I relied on this app until I couldn't use it anymore (guess I better send Kovid a little thank you after I get back from my cruise, heh).

If push comes to shove, I am still running 10.5 on my mac at work, so I can always load the kindle from there if I have to, although we'll be upgrading at work soon.

-- Gary F.
gfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 AM   #55
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
just found this thread only after installing snow leopard. I guess I'll use the sony library for now:-\
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:27 AM   #56
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Funny no crashes with Rosetta for me. Am keeping one computer on leopard until Kovid puts out an update.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #57
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'm currently torn between installing SL for the MS Exchange support but not wanting to lose Calibre! :-)

Any indications as to what's blowing up?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:06 AM   #58
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you rely on important apps to get stuff done, it's always risky to install new operating systems. Personally I prefer to wait at least a year and let the "early adopters" get all the bugs ironed out.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #59
KindleKid
Zealot
KindleKid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
I don't understand how to make Rosetta work. With toast Rosetta corrected the issue automatically.
KindleKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #60
smurphy
Connoisseur
smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.smurphy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by KindleKid View Post
I don't understand how to make Rosetta work. With toast Rosetta corrected the issue automatically.
Right click on the application and choose: Information
In the information view of the choosen app, you have a button stating: Start this application with Rosetta" (Translated from German - so the exact text may vary)...
smurphy is offline   Reply With Quote