Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #31
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I enjoyed that!

I'll nominate "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" - the series started off well, but it got more tedious with each book, and the latest was the worst (I didn't bother finishing it ).
I read a few pages of my sister's Harry Potter books. Oh, I found them boring. Tedious and boring. I'm just not captured by such fantasy worlds of witches, warlocks, and whatnots.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #32
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
How is this topic different from The 10 Worst Books?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #33
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
How is this topic different from The 10 Worst Books?
A book can be very good but also mostly boring. And a book can be very bad but not boring.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #34
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
A book can be very good but also mostly boring. And a book can be very bad but not boring.
Sounds like an impossible contradiction
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #35
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
I read a few pages of my sister's Harry Potter books. Oh, I found them boring. Tedious and boring. I'm just not captured by such fantasy worlds of witches, warlocks, and whatnots.
Couldn't agree more.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #36
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
My Most boring book ever... Billy Budd by Herman Melville. I was supposed to read it in high school but never finished the thing.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #37
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I do actually tend to agree with you. James Fenimore Cooper does nothing for me, either.
Mark Twain agreed with you:
http://www.pbs.org/marktwain/learnmo..._fenimore.html
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Huh? My reading of that is that he thought that they were works of art and nothing was comparable.

Was that sarcasm on Twain's part?

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 03-16-2009 at 12:08 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #39
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Most boring book for me was "Dahlgren." However, I slogged through it anyway.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #40
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Huh? My reading of that is that he thought that they were works of art and nothing was comparable.

Was that sarcasm?

BOb
The italicized text at the beginning were quotes from contemporary critics.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:07 AM   #41
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
The italicized text at the beginning were quotes from contemporary critics.
Ok... I see now. Thanks for making me take a second look.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #42
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Gayatri Spivak's The Post-colonial Critic.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 05:39 AM   #43
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Two Lives by Vikram Seth, especially when he started saying mean things about his poor old uncle.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:07 AM   #44
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
most boring read: War of the Worlds
most boring I tried to read: The Picture of Dorian Gray.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:32 AM   #45
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I might get some flack for this, but I think the most boring thing I've ever read is The Bible (or at least was forced to read on a regular basis during Catholic school). Lots of begatting, but no real description. I was thoroughly let down.

*This is not an anti-religion thing, I just find the actual text dull as dishwater. As the great Irish comedian Dave Allen used to say: May your God be with you
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote