Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2013, 01:38 PM   #16
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morg View Post
Marek: what do you mean with "...but kobo software won't load"? My Touch works fine after installing python the described way...
Boot animation was looped forever. Reverting back the libpng.so and libjpeg.so from firmware 2.8.1 helped. I didn't investigate further. I can live with bmp images. I'm glad if it is working better for you I'm happy too - I was able to run my boot menu with never firmware.

Anyway, I've switched to Android entirely. It is easier for me to develop, debug and I've found superior apps comparing to Kobo's firmware.
MarekGibek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #17
skhan5
skhan5 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
I've probably done this wrong, but on my Kobo touch python just appears as 198 different books and files. What do I do?
skhan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #18
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
If you place your python installation into a folder named with a dot as the first character, the files won't show up as books. For example, I placed my python install into a folder named ".python" (without quotes).
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:04 AM   #19
skhan5

Open

Do you have to have a hacked Kobo touch in order to open Python? If not then how can you open Python?
Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #20
skhan5

Do you have to have a hacked Kobo in order to open Python? If not then how can you open python?

Last edited by skhan5; 09-03-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Advert
Old 09-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #21
skhan5

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
If you place your python installation into a folder named with a dot as the first character, the files won't show up as books. For example, I placed my python install into a folder named ".python" (without quotes).
Thanks for the help!
Old 09-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #22
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhan5 View Post
Do you have to have a hacked Kobo in order to open Python? If not then how can you open python?
Yes, you must install some kind of hack. I use telnet to run Python on my Kobo.
Old 09-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #23
skhan5

Which version of Telnet did you use?
Old 09-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #24
skhan5

Also does python and the Telnet hack work on the lastest Kobo Touch firmware (3.8.0) which came out today?
Old 09-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #25
KevinShort
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhan5 View Post
Also does python and the Telnet hack work on the lastest Kobo Touch firmware (3.8.0) which came out today?
I haven't tested it, but it should. Here's a link to the telnet installer I use. Just unzip it and copy KoboRoot.tgz to the .kobo folder on your device.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:26 PM   #26
jheissjr
jheissjr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Mini
Python appears to crash on a Kobo Mini when 'import pygame' is executed.

Here is a picture.
https://copy.com/rhka7Jp3VwVU

Three commands are executed in the screenshot

uname –r -> shows the kobo version is 2.6.35.3
echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH -> shows /.python/lib and .python/pygamelibs are in the library path
import pygame -> python exits unexpectedly

Does it appear something was missed during the installation?

Last edited by jheissjr; 09-20-2014 at 08:21 PM.
jheissjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:56 PM   #27
Haugor
Enthusiast
Haugor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch C、KPW3
hello, KevinShort
I want to install gtk+, does this similar to Python transplant?
looking forward to your reply.
Haugor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:46 AM   #28
MarekGibek
Zealot
MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.MarekGibek is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haugor View Post
hello, KevinShort
I want to install gtk+, does this similar to Python transplant?
looking forward to your reply.
Gtk+ libraries need to use X11 for output. Qt has version for framebuffer.

If you want python + gtk on kobo, you can use my Linux image:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222123
Old 11-10-2014, 05:28 AM   #29
Haugor
Enthusiast
Haugor began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch C、KPW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarekGibek View Post
Gtk+ libraries need to use X11 for output. Qt has version for framebuffer.

If you want python + gtk on kobo, you can use my Linux image:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=222123
Thanks for your reply, MarekGibek. I have already download your linux image, it is wonderful for my Kobo. what I hope most is the dual boot as Android image you made. can you give me some advice?
Haugor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:25 AM   #30
MarekGibek
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haugor View Post
Thanks for your reply, MarekGibek. I have already download your linux image, it is wonderful for my Kobo. what I hope most is the dual boot as Android image you made. can you give me some advice?

Hi Haugor! It should be fairly easy. As you can see my Linux image had some kind of boot menu (Linux works in chroot environment so the kernel is shared), but has old Kobo software.

After upgrading Kobo software the only thing that doesn't work is this boot menu. It's because it's written in Python and python binaries used are not compatible with newer kobo software. Hence this thread - it's about how to make Python working with newer software.

But you can search the forum for alternative kobo menu apps. There a few developed here. Apps that allow you to choose if you want to boot to nickel or koreader should work for you.

All you need to have the Linux working is:
- my kernel (changed for screen updates)
- copy of the folder with linux

And the way to start the chroot env:
- my changes in init (startup) rc.d script
- some menu run on startup to choose if you want to start nickel or chroot

Tags
armhf, kobo, python