Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 AM   #1
Shadowman123
Shadowman123 doesn't litterShadowman123 doesn't litter

Device: prs-300
Questions about "new" Calibre Portable 0.8.4

Hi All,

I just came across the "new" Portable version in the Downloads Section.

I have been using Calibre Portable on an external drive via the supplied Batch File.

Is this .exe version better? Or do I stick with the .bat file?

It seems the folder structure in the .exe version is different from the .bat
- "Calibre" as opposed to "Calibre2"
- "Calibre Settings" as opposed to "CalibreConfig"
- "Calibre Library" as opposed to "CalibreLibrary"

Can I just copy all files from my old folder structure or do I have to start with a new, blank database and import from the old one?

Thank you in advance for any answers.
Shadowman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can stick with the bat file if you prefer, there's no difference. If you want to switch to using the exe, download calibre-portable.zip, unzip it, and then copy the contents of CalibreConfig to "Calibre Settings" and CalibreLibrary to "Calibre Libray" and it should just work. Keep your old folders around until your sure the new ones work.

The only difference with the new calibre portable is that it is truly portable, in that it does not require the installation of the C runtime from Micorosoft on the host computer.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2011, 02:28 AM   #3
Shadowman123
Shadowman123 doesn't litterShadowman123 doesn't litter

Device: prs-300
Thank you for your explanations.
I'll try this weekend. I'm a big fan of "portables".

And thank you again for a fantastic programm.
Shadowman123 is offline   Reply With Quote