Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
DRM-free Horror Books at HorrorMall

First, I am not associated with the site except that I probably spent too much money there last night.

Second, here is the link:
http://www.horror-mall.com/Digital-E...p-1-c-370.html

The prices vary depending on the length of the book, but there are still bargains. The reprint of Chet Williamson's Ash Wednesday is still $2.99, the preorder price, although it came out a few days ago. This might be a mistake, or it might be an on purpose. Prices for novels range from $4.99 to $7.95, but keep in mind that these are e-books of small press editions that can $14.95 to $40.00 for limited editions.

I searched, and there were a couple of threads about this site in 2009, but I wanted to mention it again as I had forgotten about it until recently. And of course they have more titles now. With Dorchester Publishing and their Leisure Horror line going digital (with delayed trade paperbacks), I started looking for other sources of horror. Because they publish digital editions from a number of small press horror publishers, HorrorMall turned out to be a great find. Some of the Leisure authors are available in digital (and print) editions here. Many of these authors are names that are familiar to me from paperbacks I have bought before, and the others are familiar to fans of horror specialty publishers.

Anyone have other suggestions of specialty presses that started out offering only print but now offer the "digital" option? I know many small presses want to avoid that because they publisher collectible editions, and they don't want to destroy the demand for their books. I understand that because it's difficult to stay afloat in that market. But dang it, some people just want to read the books instead of only reading about them.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
Cemetery Dance has also started testing the digital waters. Right now it looks like the only e-books available on their site are linked to Amazon for download, but I know they sent out an e-mail a couple months ago with an offer for an in-house supported e-book as a test bed. I'm not sure if I ever heard the results of that beta. CD is really involved in the signed and/or limited editions, so it's unclear how e-books would factor into their existing model. As a longtime CD customer, I'd be happy to spend my digital money there instead of somewhere else, and I'm hoping they add e-books as a routine matter to help draw in folks (like me) who are more interested in reading books than keeping them on the shelf.

I'm a HorrorMall fan/customer, too. They have some great niche books that aren't at the library or easily available anywhere else.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
Cemetery Dance has also started testing the digital waters. Right now it looks like the only e-books available on their site are linked to Amazon for download, but I know they sent out an e-mail a couple months ago with an offer for an in-house supported e-book as a test bed.
Oh, that's right. I meant to check out their e-books. While I am Kindle-less, I do have Calibre, and that should be able to convert their e-books. I checked the listing on Amazon, and it said "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited." IIRC that might mean they don't have DRM and thus can be converted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snape View Post
I'm a HorrorMall fan/customer, too. They have some great niche books that aren't at the library or easily available anywhere else.
I found a lot of variety just from HorrorMall's digital section alone. When Leisure goes all digital, they wil be completing with HorrorMall and similar companies. From what I can tell, the small presses have better websites and better marketing.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
snape
Language Lover
snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.snape knows who John Galt is.

Device: Current: PRS-350, Kindle PW // Previous: PRS-505, Kindle 1, Kindle 2
I completely forgot about the e-book offerings at Apex, glad they posted a new thread to remind me about it. Some good stuff over there, at prices I like. They have Fran's Mama's Boy, which I've been meaning to check out. Off I go!

Last edited by snape; 08-20-2010 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Fat fingers.
snape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
horror, horrormall