Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Max 2 screen protector from ereader.store

Hello,

I'd like to share my experiences with the dedicated screen protection for Max2.

It comes in a nice black envelope
Click image for larger version

Name:	envelope copy.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	166093

Screen glare
before:

Name:	before_1 copy.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	166094

Name:	before_2 copy.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	166095

after:

Name:	after_1 copy.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	166096

Name:	after_2 copy.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	166097

Not bad. The glare is the same or even maybe a tiny bit lower with the foil.

Unfortunately, bad news, bubbles bubbles

Name:	bubbles copy.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	166098

The bubbles are visible at a certain angle, light reflection. I would say the screen is usable as it is but far from perfect.

I did all what I could to apply the protector bubble free but still I'm unlucky. I put the shower on for a few minutes with hot water until the bathroom was filled with fog. I let the fog calm down a bit and I began the procedure. To my surprise the foil did not want to adhere to the surface - bubbles were popping all the time around the screen. Finally I used a plastic sponge to rub the air off the screen towards the edges. I had to fight some bubbles several times as they insisted to spring back on their own. Finally I got away of the big bubbles but to my surprise few small bubbles remain as they seem to have particles beneath them. I'm disappointed. I just cannot do the application 100% right I knew it would be f* hard and impossible.

Well, but that's my skills. If you feel confident to apply the foil properly than I can recommend it. I wish that I knew a service which could install the protector for me.

Attached a zip with original pictures.
Attached Files
File Type: zip max.zip (12.51 MB, 101 views)
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:34 PM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
I wish that I knew a service which could install the protector for me
You mean that the known ones are not in your area?
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #3
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
You mean that the known ones are not in your area?
Is there a list of known ones?

PS. I'm speaking of Switzerland, Geneva area.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
plusz
Addict

Has anyone applied the screen protector bubble free? I'm just curious.

I played a bit with the foil today. I managed to lift it and remove the residue but I got a few new bubbles The inner side of the foil is very soft and static charged somehow, any dust particles cling to it immediately and you cannot blow them off. If you try to clean it with a cloth it's immediately scratched.

I would be really interested in a protector like the iVisor I'm really happy with it. There's no problem with application and you can take it off, wash it, dry it, apply again.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:43 AM   #5
eater
Enthusiast
eater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it iseater knows what time it is

Device: linux desktop
Looks like the iVisor for the 15" Macbook is big enough that you could cut off the black border and it'd fit the Max 2.
eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2018, 03:04 AM   #6
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is there a list of known ones?
I hope there are many, I make reference for my personal needs and experience to Mobile Outfitters, moutfitters.com

Quote:
PS. I'm speaking of Switzerland, Geneva area.
And unfortunately you are not well served there: there are shops in Saint-Etienne and in Valence (pas Lyon?!), in Biella and Gravellona and plenty in Turin.
As you should be able to discuss with the operator, possibly convince her if she has to insert the measures manually, since the job may be "outside the database" (unless one of us managed to get the details inserted in their global database), there is a chance of failure per operator turn, hence distance may be for more reasons a problem.
But if you traveled, there are regions with a high density of shops.
And, as expressed, there may be more producers/distributors. I vouch for MO having used their services a lot (five or six times).
Old 09-11-2018, 07:10 AM   #7
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I hope there are many, I make reference for my personal needs and experience to Mobile Outfitters, moutfitters.com
This store looks professional. I'll keep that in mind when going abroad. They have lots of stores in France and Italy.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:49 PM   #8
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
how do they avoid the water or glue to get inside the device?

Because from what I've seen on videos about their protectors, on phones can be easy, but on the sunken screen of the max, the liquid would go directly to the insides of the device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TmY2NQPIeg

Last edited by whopper; 09-11-2018 at 08:55 PM.
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:31 AM   #9
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
An advice was given about a difference between the smartphone with a front in glass and the Onyx Max2 with a capacitive layer. I don't known, but someone does know if the same protector could be used with risk for the capacitive layer ?
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 03:37 AM   #10
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by whopper View Post

Because from what I've seen on videos about their protectors, on phones can be easy, but on the sunken screen of the max, the liquid would go directly to the insides of the device

Oh no ! I don't want a so hard treatment for my Max2's screen
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #11
mdp
Wizard

Quote:

I have not seen the video, but I had it done on the MaxCarta as a test and it was (almost*) perfect.

*Almost: bring your own measures, in millimeters.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #12
plusz
Addict

Quote:

Interesting technique but it doesn't fit for use on the Max.

I re-applied my protector and I got it almost perfect after a third try. The trick is to use a paper adhesive tape, the one which you use when painting to temporary protect objects you don't want to cover with paint. I lifted the foil out of the screen. I took strips of the paper tape and gently tap with it all over the foil to let the dust cling to the tape glue. Then I applied the foil again. Now I have just 3 tiny bubbles towards the edges of the screen, quite satisfactory result.

In the past I have tried once to clean the foil with a cloth. Don't do that, the silicone side of the foil is so soft that you'll terribly scratch it. The paper duck tape does the trick to clean it
Old 09-17-2018, 03:29 AM   #13
sos_sifou
sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
for applying screen protectors I recommend to avoid the weird practices of bathrooms and fog... first, clean your hands and if you have disposable gloves, its better (just like lab ones)get into a clean dry place which doesn't have lot of dust generators (the study room for ex) avoid rooms where there is mattresses and cloth, you need direct focused light on your object to see whether you cleaned well the surface of the screen or there still residues on it, keep cleaning.
when you're confident that there is not dust or residues left, now take the screen protector and lift only part of the disposable film (about 25%) align the protector with the top of the screen (aligning is a very important step, take your time).
now start your way down the bottom of the screen gently applying the film and at the same time removing the disposable part until you finish.

you should have by now a perfectly applied film with no bubbles, even if you do have some, they should contain no particles inside them, just press gently with the screen cleaner and remove them to the edges.

remember that bubbles aren't the enemy of the screen protector, its dust ! keep things clean and it will go well, and try to not touch in any way the electrostatic glue inside the film, that's why I asked to keep applying the film while touching only the disposable part instead of holding the film with hands.

good luck
sos_sifou is offline   Reply With Quote