Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-21-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
UncleZeno
Connoisseur
UncleZeno began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96ML
13.3'' e-ink in Europe: Onyx monopoly?

Hi guys,

I own a Onyx Boox N96ML and I am very disappointed by the fact that Onyx did not upgrade (and fixed issues) on my device for more than a year while device is just 2 years old.
As I am working a lot with note taking and several technical books I was looking at 13'' e-ink device.
It seems that in Europe you have no option than going again for a Onyx device, something I am not going to do.

What do you think I should do? Buy a Sony DPT from US or what else can I do?

UncleZ
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 11:22 AM   #2
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleZeno View Post
Hi guys,

I own a Onyx Boox N96ML and I am very disappointed by the fact that Onyx did not upgrade (and fixed issues) on my device for more than a year while device is just 2 years old.
As I am working a lot with note taking and several technical books I was looking at 13'' e-ink device.
It seems that in Europe you have no option than going again for a Onyx device, something I am not going to do.

What do you think I should do? Buy a Sony DPT from US or what else can I do?

UncleZ
Is it really only about Europe? I don't know any other 13" device worth buying besides Onyx and Sony. Personally, I am happy that I can comfortably read any technical book, other features are a nice addition but I don't benefit from them much.

As a side note, I have just seen Rocketbook which seems to be much better than any e-ink device for digitizing notes.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
UncleZeno
Connoisseur
UncleZeno began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx N96ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Is it really only about Europe? I don't know any other 13" device worth buying besides Onyx and Sony.
Well... in Europe the Sony is not available at all. You can buy it from USA with all the risks of not being covered by warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
As a side note, I have just seen Rocketbook which seems to be much better than any e-ink device for digitizing notes.
This seems to be a nice to have note-taking
However, for me the "problem" is that I like to take notes on books I read most of the times, especially when technical books.

Anyway I am not going to buy a Max2. Very expensive device with no assurance on serious development. So sad to not to have alternatives
UncleZeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 06:11 AM   #4
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleZeno View Post
Anyway I am not going to buy a Max2. Very expensive device with no assurance on serious development. So sad to not to have alternatives
Share your pain but I'm happy that eventually I was able to buy 13" e-reader. It's sad that e-ink technology cannot hook up on the market. I believe that if some serious investments was made and affordable, big, quality monitors would become available it would become a huge success and the manufacturing prices would go down significantly. Unfortunately no one want's to risk to try. We have cheap small size readers perhaps mainly due to Amazon taking the risk to popularize them by selling the device with no profit.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote