Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #16
fflanders
fflanders began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I did as suggested and went back to indesign and recreated the epub file. That seemed the easiest route.

I then checked the file in the validator and it said it was FINE ... aok.

However, I just tried uploading to smashwords and was informed of the following:

File 'META-INF/encryption.xml' in EPUB not listed in manifest!

Your .epub file is missing one or more elements in its manifest. A complete manifest is required for distribution to Apple.

Here's how Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EPUB) defines "Manifest":"The manifest element lists all the files contained in the package. Each file is represented by an item element, and has the attributes id, href, media-type. All XHTML (content documents), stylesheets, images or other media, embedded fonts, and the NCX file should be listed here."

How would I go about adding this manifest?
fflanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:01 PM   #17
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Go back to indesign and tell it not to embed fonts in the epub,
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Go back to indesign and tell it not to embed fonts in the epub,
What is it the kids say?

I just can't.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:48 PM   #19
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
What is it the kids say?

I just can't.
Do you mean you really can't?
I just assumed that since InDesign is so commonly used, and that since almost no ebook seller's meat-grinder (or other self-submission system) will accept ebooks with obfuscated fonts, that there had to be a way to build epubs sans embedded fonts with ID.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:37 PM   #20
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Do you mean you really can't?
I just assumed that since InDesign is so commonly used, and that since almost no ebook seller's meat-grinder (or other self-submission system) will accept ebooks with obfuscated fonts, that there had to be a way to build epubs sans embedded fonts with ID.
Of course, that's not what I meant. Yes, there's a way to do it, sorta. The reality is, the fonts will come out pretty much obfuscated, no matter what. Either subset or obfuscated, or, hey, both.

The simplest way, really, is to rip out the obfuscation from the INDD side; remove all that cruft from the file (the encryption.xml file, if memory serves, off the top of my old decrepit noggin) and rock on. If the designer used cloud-service fonts, sometimes, life is simpler to just replace the cursed things with intact font files, make the book, and THEN subset the fonts, using either Toxaris' wonderful Font Shrinker or Calibre's capability.

My meaning was something else entirely, and you damn well know it, big fella.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #21
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
  1. Change the file extension from .epub to .zip.
  2. Double-click the .zip file and extract the .opf file.
  3. Update the .opf file.
  4. Overwrite the .opf file in the .zip file with the updated version.
  5. Close the .zip file.
  6. Change the file extension to .epub.
Just would like to add, that in most cases "Open With...." is working fine, so no need to rename.

Doing it in another way and be in a need to rezip it: the mimetype file needs to be the first one and needs to unpacked. Some readers will display the book, some not.

(Not part of your recipe, just want to mention it)
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:59 AM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do not use Dreamweaver at all for any part of your eBook. It's not made for handling ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:39 AM   #23
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
<snip>

If you have a Windows machine and don't want to install Calibre:
  1. Change the file extension from .epub to .zip.
  2. Double-click the .zip file and extract the .opf file.
  3. Update the .opf file.
  4. Overwrite the .opf file in the .zip file with the updated version.
  5. Close the .zip file.
  6. Change the file extension to .epub.
7-Zip is a good tool for all this - it lets you open the epub without needing to change the extension and with the inbuilt editor you can make the changes to the opf (or any other file). Once you have saved the modified file it updates the archive (i.e the epub) and when you exit 7-Zip you have an updated epub. All quite seamless.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #24
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Once you have saved the modified file it updates the archive (i.e the epub) and when you exit 7-Zip you have an updated epub. All quite seamless.
Almost...
7-Zip will also compress the mimetype file while doing this. And there is no guarantee that the mimetype file will be first in the archive any more. Granted: I've not encountered an epub reader that balks at an epub with an out-of-order, compressed mimetype, myself, but epub specs still require it to be uncompressed and first. Best to open/save the updated epub afterward, with an editor that knows exactly how epub archives need to be constructed (like calibre's editor or Sigil) to be safe.

But otherwise, yes... I use 7-Zip in the manner you describe all the time.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-15-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #25
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Almost...
7-Zip will also compress the mimetype file while doing this. And there is no guarantee that the mimetype file will be will be first in the archive any more. [...] Best to open/save the updated epub afterward, with an editor that knows how epub archives need to be constructed. Like calibre's editor or Sigil to be safe.

Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Almost...
7-Zip will also compress the mimetype file while doing this. And there is no guarantee that the mimetype file will be first in the archive any more. Granted: I've not encountered an epub reader that balks at an epub with an out-of-order, compressed mimetype, myself, but epub specs still require it to be uncompressed and first. Best to open/save the updated epub afterward, with an editor that knows exactly how epub archives need to be constructed (like calibre's editor or Sigil) to be safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
if you have WinRAR

Just tell Windows that EPUBs can be opened with WinRAR via explorer's Open With.

You open and edit files from within archive using the OS default handler for the file type, e.g.Notepad++, Vi, TextMate for XHTML; IrfanView, Gimp, Preview for JPEG - etc etc. If you save the file, WinRAR asks if you want to replace the file in the archive.

Not sure if you can edit non-text files in 7zip, I have a historical aversion to it so I don't have it installed.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epubcheck error, integer, smashwords