Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #31
pittendrigh
Connoisseur
pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pittendrigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes epub is zipped HTML but as it stands it cannot be directly viewed with a browser. You have to download a file and then look at with a reader that is an executable application on your device.

epub(3) can be displayed on a webserver so it looks like a book, so it can be viewed with a browser that DOES NOT have any extensions installed, so it CAN be embedded inside a surrounding CMS. But to do so you have to write your own server-side software. I expect that to change. This is a niche market too rich to ignore. Epub on the webserver will be extremely valuable for online courses, as a supplement to softwares like moodle and desiretolearn etc.

The sigil problem was apparently user error on my part. I copied lots of images...with subdirectories and pdf files, text file resources. and even a few autocad files etc...into the file system area sigil was using. Why not? It's just an editor? The final epub seemed like that's all that counts.

This did not cause a problem with Jutoh. It was trouble with Sigil. However, once I "compiled" my jutoh file and saved a month's editing as an epub, that supsequent epub loads into sigil just fine. Sigil for me (with a well-formatted epub that only needs a bit of editing) is slower than Jutoh but eminently usable. And I do much prefer the sigil GUI> I will likely switch back to sigil now.

I got what I had by using wget to suck down a ten year old website, and then by running scripts on the HTML so it could be pasted into sigil. Somehow my recursive file copying into the files sigil used caused it to have indigestion (but not so for Jutoh).

I re-imported the epub that came from Jutoh as a new sigil project and it edits just fine. I'll take a powder now.

Last edited by pittendrigh; 03-30-2018 at 11:15 AM.
pittendrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 11:27 AM   #32
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes directly copying files into Sigils private temp folders is definitely a **huge** user error and never a good idea. That is true for almost every piece of software that uses their own scratch space. Sigil is not just an editor. It manages the entire epub, including opf, renaming, merging, splitting files all while dynamically updating links, toc, and etc.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2018, 12:25 PM   #33
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
That would probably explain the slow-down/freezing when inserting images that have already been added to the epub archive incorrectly (by inadvisably copying them to Sigil's temp space).

If you recall, we had another user who was doing the same thing when we discovered that he had a third-party shell extension of some kind that was causing issues with the thumbnail generation feature of Sigil's Insert Existing Image tool.

Never understood why anyone would think messing around in a program's temporary scratch-space (while said program was running) was a reasonable idea.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:26 PM   #34
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Yes directly copying files into Sigils private temp folders is definitely a **huge** user error and never a good idea. That is true for almost every piece of software that uses their own scratch space. Sigil is not just an editor. It manages the entire epub, including opf, renaming, merging, splitting files all while dynamically updating links, toc, and etc.
Well....at least now we know why he had an issue with Sigil, that nobody else has encountered. I don't understand WHY he would be copying all those files to Sigil's private temp folders--perhaps it's because he does think that it's "only an editor--but it also explains why he's not having any issues with Jutoh.

My take on this is, why shouldn't he stick with Jutoh? It's working for him, he's happy with it, he's already over the learning curve w/Jutoh of having to reinvent the CSS wheel, etc., and he can tweak his Jutoh-generated ePUBs using Sigil, without abusing Sigil and forcing it to crash and struggle. So...what's the rumpus? He's got a process that works for him, and it's patently abundant that he has zero interest in listening to anything anyone here says.

He's got his online book built, and he can replicate the process as needed. (shrug). No need to troubleshoot or assist further. We know why it was crashing--as the thread called it, before we knew, it's user error. So... it's all cool now, man.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:36 PM   #35
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Other than the ongoing advertisement for his book, his website, and of course Jutoh that consumed literally tons of what little free developer time I volunteer just trying to recreate an issue with little to no information provided by the reporter, and that he created himself.

Everything is just peachy!
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Other than the ongoing advertisement for his book, his website, and of course Jutoh that consumed literally tons of what little free developer time I volunteer just trying to recreate an issue with little to no information provided by the reporter, and that he created himself.

Everything is just peachy!

You know we all love ya, Kev. And enormously appreciate the very precious time that you donate here. I'd love to buy you if you'd only let me. You don't even have to SEE me!!! ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, sigil