Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #571
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trial_Master View Post
That’s great info. Thank you very much. I’ll give that a go and let you know

Can collections be created and arranged using software or is that still done on Kindle?
If you send your books to the Kindle cloud, you can create collections on your Manage Your Content page on the Amazon site, and all of your books from there.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:42 PM   #572
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
is there an option to turn on/off auto wake/sleep? i can't find it on the oasis 2017.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 06:29 PM   #573
Trial_Master
Trial_Master began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
If you send your books to the Kindle cloud, you can create collections on your Manage Your Content page on the Amazon site, and all of your books from there.

Shari
Even better. Cheers
Trial_Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #574
jmmcg9
Zealot
jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmmcg9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, iPad Pro (12.9”), iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad Mini 5, Forma
In the near future Whole Foods is supposed to start selling Amazon stuff, including Kindles. Hopefully they will allow demos.
jmmcg9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #575
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmcg9 View Post
In the near future Whole Foods is supposed to start selling Amazon stuff, including Kindles. Hopefully they will allow demos.
My Whole Foods has an Amazon kiosk. They have all the Kindles on display and there's always a saleperson there. Haven't looked any closer since I already have my Oasis.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2017, 01:56 AM   #576
Ksane
Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.Ksane can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Lot'sa Readers :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenoc View Post
I didn't mean I had to swipe 6 times to wake it once. I meant another 6 instances of having to swipe to wake it would aggravate me to the point of paying the $20 to get rid of the SO, and it was probably less than that. My SO bit the dust last night. I don't like the "waking" delay either, but had to put up with it on the OA1, so it's nothing new for me.
That's me, too. I actually like the ads, but when I turn it on or open​ the cover-I want it to go directly to the spot I had been reading. Instantly without having to do anything else.
I feel spoiled even saying​ that
Ksane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:01 AM   #577
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksane View Post
I feel spoiled even saying​ that
Don't. After all, this whole forum here is about nothing else than first-world joys and sorrows. We're all pretty hopelessly spoiled, or we wouldn't be here at all.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:52 AM   #578
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
After using the Oasis for a couple weeks, I'd have to say that the biggest most notable improvement is the location of the charging port. I didn't frequently charge it while reading but for some reason it bothered me that the power button and charging port were so close.

The screen size, IP8, storage and aluminum body seem to be controversial. But for us right-handed folks, I hope we can agree that charging ports belong on the bottom!
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:06 AM   #579
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I've had several instances where it went to sleep when the power button got accidentally bumped and there is one orientation that can not be used on a stand because of the power button. After all these years of Kindles with power buttons resistant to accidental triggering, why has Amazon made one prone to accidental triggering?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:13 AM   #580
gteague
Zealot
gteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toysgteague shares his or her toys

Device: kindle v1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
After using the Oasis for a couple weeks, I'd have to say that the biggest most notable improvement is the location of the charging port. I didn't frequently charge it while reading but for some reason it bothered me that the power button and charging port were so close.

The screen size, IP8, storage and aluminum body seem to be controversial. But for us right-handed folks, I hope we can agree that charging ports belong on the bottom!
sorry, but for my purposes, i hate it. it means i have to turn the oasis upside down if i want to charge it or connect it to the computer. and if it times out i have to fumble around to hit the power button on the bottom.

for those with room to lay it flat i guess that won't matter to them, but all i have is a thin slice of space to orient it vertically.

the biggest most notable improvement to which nothing else comes close is bumping up the storage from 8mb to 32mb. otherwise the previous oasis was just about perfect as they come and i could actually hold it without my wrist caving in. and yes, i basically spent $300 for an extra 24mb of memory

/guy
gteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #581
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
But for us right-handed folks, I hope we can agree that charging ports belong on the bottom!
This right-hander holds it in the left hand. So for me, charging port is up top which I like. Keeps it out of the way if reading or putting in a stand while charging. Power button is at the bottom which I don't really like. I've accidentally put it to sleep a few times. The Paperwhite power button is on the bottom too, but not in a spot where I'm likely to bump it. Also seems to take more of a firm press than the Oasis button.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #582
ellenoc
Author
ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Admittedly I'm left-handed, but I read with the Oasis in a stand and since sometimes I end up plugging it in to charge while I'm reading, I want the charging port on top. My stand isn't a cover but a 3d party arrangement that works in my lap, so with the Oasis 2, when I need to charge while reading I just flip the device.

As to power button, the position on the back was one of the few things I liked better about the Voyage, but if I need it and have flipped for charging, lifting a little to reach the Oasis button isn't a big deal. I've never pressed a power button inadvertently on any Kindle. None ever seemed vulnerable to that, and I've had original Kindle, KK, PW, Voyage, Oasis 1 and 2.
ellenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:01 PM   #583
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gteague View Post
the biggest most notable improvement to which nothing else comes close is bumping up the storage from 8mb to 32mb. otherwise the previous oasis was just about perfect as they come and i could actually hold it without my wrist caving in. and yes, i basically spent $300 for an extra 24mb of memory
You actually got 1000x as much as that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 09:55 AM   #584
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I've been using my Oasis for over a week now. I love the screen size, the night time reading mode, and knowing I have enough space to store every book I own without any slowdown.

I've been trying to get used to the feel and weight of it though, and I'm finding it too heavy, awkward and sharp-edged. So much so that I am thinking about this most of the time when trying to lose myself in a book.

I went back to my Voyage after a week, and it feels so light, warm and smooth to touch.

The screen on the Oasis is beautiful, although there is a very noticeable difference in contrast between it and the Voyage, (Voyage has much better contrast, as many here have noted). I love having more words on screen, and the more 'book-like' appearance that gives. I just don't know if I want three years of obsessing about the weight and cold pointy bits.

So, I'm giving myself one last day with it before I decide whether to return it and just stick with my Voyage for the foreseeable.

Plus, battery life disappointing compared to excellence of the Voyage in this respect.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 10:12 AM   #585
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am not sure if I posted here or not. I had my 7" oasis and like it outside the fact that whispersync is not compatable. I want to listen and read at the same time. Here you can do one or the other but not both at the same time. If I knew this I would have never purchased so I am hoping an update is in the future.

Also so that you do not have a conniption fit like I did: When you first get the oasis there is no audiobook feature. I was so pissed. You have to wait about 30 minutes to an hour connected to wifi and you kindle will auto-update with the audible features then reboot. So I recommend leaving it on connected to wifi charging for a while
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote