Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
txt to mobi - dashes becoming ?

I have a txt document that I want converted into mobi.

it converts OK except that any dash character is rendered as a ? inside of a black diamond?
what is causing this & is there an easy workaround ?

e.g.where txt input, in notepad looks like this:
"From each sensor a lead, fine as gossamer, ran to the sole object — apart from the steel chair and two other chairs, both softly padded — that might be said to furnish the room."

the mobi output ( in calibre reader) displays as:
" From each sensor a lead, fine as gossamer, ran to the sole object � apart from the steel chair and two other chairs, both softly padded � that might be said to furnish the room"

I've worked around the problem like this: I don't find that long dash mark anywhere on my keyboard but I open the txt file in notepad, paste that dash into the find replace box then go replace all to change it to " - ". that comes out as expected in .mobi.

I'd still be grateful for an explanation of the original bug/issue though, please

Last edited by cybmole; 10-14-2010 at 08:44 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 09:09 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The hyphens in your source file are probably endashes or emdashes, not hyphens. They look very similar. See this discussion of dashes in wikipedia.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks - I thought that .txt files only contained standard characters i.e. those found on a keyboard. - I guess that's not quite right.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:07 AM   #4
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
It depends upon the strictness of the authoring application. My guess is that your original file is encoded in cp1252 - I'm guessing your dashes are #150 or #151 as shown here.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

I'm happy enough with my work around, but let's say that I fussily wanted the Calibre .mobi output to look exactly like the .txt input i.e. to contain those same emdash thingies -

Is there a way to make that happen by tweaking calibre preferences ?
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
I'm happy enough with my work around, but let's say that I fussily wanted the Calibre .mobi output to look exactly like the .txt input i.e. to contain those same emdash thingies -

Is there a way to make that happen by tweaking calibre preferences ?
In Look & Feel tell it the correct input character encoding - probably cp1252.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote