Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-09-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
aronan
aronan began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Database Corruption during Installation

I am trying to download Calibre to my PC to use with a new nook. I have now tried several times (uninstalling between each try). Each time during the setup, when I am asked to identify where I want the library to be, no matter what i do (accept first choice highlighted or make new file somewhere else), I get the message that the 'Calibre database appears to be corrupted'.

I accept offer to repair when offer is made, but still wind up with some error message and then the program quits.

How can I get this thing up and working?

thanks for any help you can provide.
aronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:52 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, aronan.

Hopefully someone will step in soon to help solve your problem.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 03:46 AM   #3
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
I'll get the ball rolling. We need a bit more information.

1. Since you're just downloading, I presume you've got the latest version of Calibre (which is 0.7.17), but it's good to check.

2. You don't say what OS you're running. Windows (XP, Vista, 7)? Linux? Mac OS?

3. When you uninstall, is Calibre inadvertently leaving anything behind? Check to make sure no files or folders are left over.

4. Are you redownloading each time, or using the same download when you reinstall?

--Nathanael
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
aronan
aronan began at the beginning.

Device: nook
thanks for the help. I was finally successful tonight. The key was your number 3. I had been uninstalling and removing the "calibre library" after each failure and before downloading anew. But tonight i also did a search for any file containing calibre in the file name, and uncovered two files that had hidden away from me since the first download on Sunday.

So I got rid of those two files, emptied out my recycle bin (I am on Windows XP) just to be sure, and downloaded calibre yet again. This time it started up with no problem.

So all is well and now i get to explore how to use it. Thanks to taking the time to answer. This looks like a fun and helpful site.
aronan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, installation, nook