Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-10-2017, 11:42 AM   #1
ejseeks
ejseeks began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Unhappy screen flickering and pixelated

Hi there,

I bought a Kobo Aura H20 ereader which I then sent back as it appeared faulty - the screen was flickering, as if there was a loose wire for example, going from white to black and back again, taking a long time to scroll and grainy text flaying up as it did so, etc. I’ve now just received my replacement and it’s the same if not worse... Does anyone know what this could be and if there’s a common fault or some reason this would be happening? The whole process or returning and getting a new one took ages so I don’t want to have to do this again if there’s an easy fix, but if that’s the nature of the ereader I’ll return it again as it makes my eyes go funny and I couldn’t read off it.
TIA,
Emma
ejseeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
That sounds like you're seeing e-ink refresh and it's going to be present in all e-ink devices. Are you trying to read pdf files? They will definitely make what you are describing worse. Normally if you are reading an epub file it will flash to black once when you turn the page and most people tune it out after a short period of use. For pdf's it needs to "clean up" the screen (which is what the black screen does) every time you move around or else you'd have ghost images of what was previously on the screen and it would quickly get pretty muddy looking. PDF generally is not a great experience on any e-ink, but some devices may do pdf reflow (if it's just text) that may help you with this.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is an option in settings to not have the black flash as often while reading. And there are patches to the firmware to allow you to have an even more page turns without the black flash.

And just to let you know, there is nothing at all wrong with your H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejseeks View Post
Hi there,

I bought a Kobo Aura H20 ereader which I then sent back as it appeared faulty - the screen was flickering, as if there was a loose wire for example, going from white to black and back again, taking a long time to scroll and grainy text flaying up as it did so, etc. I’ve now just received my replacement and it’s the same if not worse... Does anyone know what this could be and if there’s a common fault or some reason this would be happening? The whole process or returning and getting a new one took ages so I don’t want to have to do this again if there’s an easy fix, but if that’s the nature of the ereader I’ll return it again as it makes my eyes go funny and I couldn’t read off it.
TIA,
Emma
What were you reading to see the screen scrolling? Normally, the screen is rewritten not scrolled. As for the flashing, that should happen every 6 pages by default when reading epubs.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Almost sounds like reading a PDF

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
faulty h20, flickering screen