Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #1
DaronFraley
Enthusiast
DaronFraley has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
Kindle Cover Replaced; Kindle Lighted Cover Still Stinks

I was very pleased with Amazon being so proactive by replacing my Kindle cover because of lockups. I had updated to 3.0.3, but still had the Kindle freeze.

But the new lighted cover simply won't stay lit. Every time I turn the page, or jiggle the kindle slightly, the light goes out. The bottom connection seems to be good and solid, but the top connection is horrible. I have tried moving the position of the clip, re-inserting the kindle, pushing the kindle in, pulling it slightly out . . . and I can't find a position to get a consistently good contact and keep the light on.

Suggestions??
DaronFraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You have a faulty cover. Contact Amazon CS and get it replaced. Mine's rock solid, and I've heard no other reports of a similar problem.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Hi probably you've just been very unlucky and got a faulty cover.

But also do just make sure that after inserting your Kindle into the cover - you should not be able to see any gold on the hinges where they attach into the Kindle. When the device is properly inserted, no gold should show. Sorry, had to just check this possibility as well.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:41 AM   #4
kearalu
kearalu began at the beginning.

I have to agree that you were just unlucky and got a faulty cover. I received a replacement for my non-lighted cover and LOVE my lighted cover. I've had no problems with it at all. When you call, I would point out that this is a replacement for the original cover and that you are extremely frustrated and losing patience. They may be extra accommodating.

I think they know they have a publicity issue that could explode in their faces any time. Seriously, what if Consumer Reports or some other national outlet got wind of what has been going on with the Kindle and published a story on it? (Something tells me that they are having to do some fancy dancing to keep the lid on this.) I have been fairly happy with how they handled my individual issue but as a "bigger picture" issue, I am rather disturbed by the Kindle debaucle and the CYA way Amazon is handling it. So, I'd say the power is in YOUR hands, don't be afraid to be a bit gruff with them.
kearalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:43 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I really don't see there's any issue at all. A very small number of people are having problems; those who are having problems are receiving replacements. What more would you expect Amazon to do?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
daesdaemar
Addict
daesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura aboutdaesdaemar has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 3, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I really don't see there's any issue at all. A very small number of people are having problems; those who are having problems are receiving replacements. What more would you expect Amazon to do?
Perhaps better quality control?
daesdaemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daesdaemar View Post
Perhaps better quality control?
the way I understand it, it was not until the Kindles had fairly significant amounts of use that this problem popped up. Amazon really has been quite decent with any problems the Kindles and associated accessories have had. folks can fault them for a lot of things, bit not their customer service
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 AM   #8
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaronFraley View Post
But the new lighted cover simply won't stay lit. Every time I turn the page, or jiggle the kindle slightly, the light goes out. The bottom connection seems to be good and solid, but the top connection is horrible. I have tried moving the position of the clip, re-inserting the kindle, pushing the kindle in, pulling it slightly out . . . and I can't find a position to get a consistently good contact and keep the light on.

Suggestions??
Do you have the light pulled out all the way until it clicks? I know this sounds like a stupid question but I didn't realize it at first and was ready to send it back the first day. The light will still work without being clicked into position, but will go out at every slight movement.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:40 AM   #9
DaronFraley
Enthusiast
DaronFraley has learned how to buy an e-book online

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Yes, I have the light completely out until it clicks. The spring-loaded action of the top clip does seem to be stiff. It sticks a bit, and I have to push it up to get it to lock.

Also, I do not see any gold contact whatsoever when I get the clips in. But a slight jiggle of the kindle (not the light bar) and the light goes out.

I think I'll have to call them.
DaronFraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:55 PM   #10
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
the way I understand it, it was not until the Kindles had fairly significant amounts of use that this problem popped up. Amazon really has been quite decent with any problems the Kindles and associated accessories have had. folks can fault them for a lot of things, bit not their customer service
Maybe for some but I received mine for Christmas and my issues started that very day, right after I put mine in the cover. Of course, I may be in the minority. I gave my wife her's for her birthday in October and she didn't start experiencing any problems until just about a week before Christmas.

Still, I agree wholeheartedly that Amazon went over and above the call of duty to make it right and I have nothing but praise for the way they handled our issues.

My wife and I love our K3s and our new lighted covers.

Great work Amazon!

- Byron

Last edited by bfollowell; 01-11-2011 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Submitted early by mistake
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I saw this same question on KB and responded there, but, as others have said, you probably need to contact Kindle customer service for a replacement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
Hi probably you've just been very unlucky and got a faulty cover.

But also do just make sure that after inserting your Kindle into the cover - you should not be able to see any gold on the hinges where they attach into the Kindle. When the device is properly inserted, no gold should show. Sorry, had to just check this possibility as well.
I am not sure on this statement...my lighted cover works fine (so far) but the metal on my lower connection is up to about 1/16" exposed and the Kindle slides back/forth on the connection at least 1/16" of movement. If I start to see problems I will report them, but just having some exposed metal wouldn't (necessarily) mean that is the problem.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I am not sure on this statement...my lighted cover works fine (so far) but the metal on my lower connection is up to about 1/16" exposed and the Kindle slides back/forth on the connection at least 1/16" of movement. If I start to see problems I will report them, but just having some exposed metal wouldn't (necessarily) mean that is the problem.
It clearly works for you which is great but to quote from the lighted cover manual itself:

"Ensure the attachment hooks are fully inserted into your Kindle. If the gold areas of the attachment hooks are visible, then your Kindle is not correctly attached to the cover."

You might think I'm being a bit OTT but I usually read manuals because hubby doesn't and often ends up getting into a mess which I have to fix! But also there is the danger that if you don't have it properly inserted, your Kindle may not be securely attached, or you may damage the hooks and thus the longevity of the product.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:35 PM   #13
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKindleWorm View Post
It clearly works for you which is great but to quote from the lighted cover manual itself:

"Ensure the attachment hooks are fully inserted into your Kindle. If the gold areas of the attachment hooks are visible, then your Kindle is not correctly attached to the cover."

You might think I'm being a bit OTT but I usually read manuals because hubby doesn't and often ends up getting into a mess which I have to fix! But also there is the danger that if you don't have it properly inserted, your Kindle may not be securely attached, or you may damage the hooks and thus the longevity of the product.
I have reinserted it several times trying to get it to stay put, but it won't. The top hook does, but not the lower one. It does seem secure enough as evidenced by a couple small drops. DOH!

I just wanted to make the point that if the metal is showing it may not always be a problem or at least might not be the problem by itself.

Understood on the manuals - I normally only use them as a reference after the fact... , but I did read this one (it is what 1 page?) it just didn't jive with what was actually happening and since everything still works...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Well, if the paint/whatever coating flaked off from the original NON-lighted cover, maybe some of it been wedged between the hook and the contact inside the kindle?
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:15 PM   #15
CrayWolf
Enthusiast
CrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with othersCrayWolf plays well with others

Device: Kindle3 Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I have reinserted it several times trying to get it to stay put, but it won't. The top hook does, but not the lower one. It does seem secure enough as evidenced by a couple small drops. DOH!
Just wanted to let you know you're not alone. My Kindle generally hides all the metal bits, but with a little push it'll show 1/16" or so of the metal on the bottom contact. Light works like a champ, though.
CrayWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, freezes up, kindle cover, kindle lighted cover, lighted