Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-10-2020, 09:07 AM   #1
TheSmitty
Addict
TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSmitty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite SE, Libra 2, Oasis 3, Boox Note Air 3C, iPad Pro 11
Anyone use a custom font regularly?

The ability to load custom fonts has been around for awhile. I am curious now that the dust has settled and we all have tried it and said "cool" whether anyone has continued to use a custom font daily.

So, if you have settled on a custom font which one do you use? You may also want to include where to find it regardless it is a free font or purchased.
TheSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
The ability to load custom fonts has been around for awhile. I am curious now that the dust has settled and we all have tried it and said "cool" whether anyone has continued to use a custom font daily.

So, if you have settled on a custom font which one do you use? You may also want to include where to find it regardless it is a free font or purchased.
I use ChareInk. It's a really good font for a Kindle and it's free. I suggest you use the NoWeight version and use the Kindle settings to increase the weight.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056

Lots of people on the forum use this font on both Kobo and Amazon Readers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:39 AM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I use CharisSIL Modified Larger on all my Kindles. Sometimes DejaVu Serif Eink and LexiaDama also. I haven't used the default fonts since the custom fonts option was released.

CharisSIL and DejaVu both are from MobileRead, but I don't remember where exactly. As to LexiaDama, unfortunately I can't recall where I got it. Possibly by Google search after someone mentioned it.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #4
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I use DejaVu Serif E-Ink almost exclusively. I like that it appears bolder than most other fonts without having to up the boldness settings.

Not that you asked, but I also use the themes settings. I have Day, Twilight, and Night settings so that I can easily increase the font size and tweak other settings as the light changes and my eyes get more tired.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
Not that you asked, but I also use the themes settings. I have Day, Twilight, and Night settings so that I can easily increase the font size and tweak other settings as the light changes and my eyes get more tired.
I never change the font type or size, but I would like to save different light settings (both brightness and color) under different themes. Unfortunately that doesn't seem possible.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #6
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Comic Sans
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junket View Post
Comic Sans
Are you serious? If you are, there are some nice institutions for you.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:35 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I use CharisSIL Modified Larger on all my Kindles. Sometimes DejaVu Serif Eink and LexiaDama also. I haven't used the default fonts since the custom fonts option was released.

CharisSIL and DejaVu both are from MobileRead, but I don't remember where exactly. As to LexiaDama, unfortunately I can't recall where I got it. Possibly by Google search after someone mentioned it.
CharisSIL Modified Larger... http://www.mediafire.com/download/br...fiedLarger.rar
Old 01-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I hate the built-in fonts, so since the ability has been available, I've been using custom fonts.

There are several I use frequently, but can't remember where I obtained them. My favourites are, in no order: Caudex, DejaVu Serif E-Ink (good for old gothic books), Lexia Dama, and Merriweather.

I also use some fonts which don't have italics for some books which seem to be almost all italic (Barks and Purrs by Collette is an example) My most used of these are: Poppins and A Simple Kind of Girl. The latter is also useful when reading epistolary books, fiction or non fiction, because it's a clear handwritten font, but you'll lose any italics.
For a very condensed font: Universalis ADF Std and SF Cartoonist Hand, the latter is a handwritten font, but has italics etc.

These were all free fonts.

As you can tell, I make a lot of use of the custom font feature, changing font for each book I read. One of the reasons ereaders are better than deadtreebooks imho.

Last edited by BookCat; 01-12-2020 at 08:34 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:56 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I hate the built-in fonts, so since the ability has been available, I've been using custom fonts.

There are several I use frequently, but can't remember where I obtained them. My favourites are, in no order: Caudex, DejaVu Serif E-Ink (good for old gothic books), Lexia Dama, and Merriweather.

I also use some fonts which don't have italics for some books which seem to be almost all italic (Barks and Purrs by Collette is an example) My most used of these are: Poppins and A Simple Kind of Girl. The latter is also useful when reading epistolary books, fiction or non fiction, because it's a clear handwritten font, but you'll lose any italics.
For a very condensed font: Universalis ADF Std and SF Cartoonist Hand, the latter is a handwritten font, but has italics etc.

These were all free fonts.

As you can tell, I make a lot of use of the custom font feature, changing font for each book I read. One of the reasons ereaders are better than deadtreebooks imho.
IMHO, you should dump the fonts that don't have all four font types. A font should have regular, bold, italic, and bold italic. Otherwise, it's not going to give you all the correct display. There are plenty of fonts that will work that have all four types.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:57 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmitty View Post
Mostly Constantia. Sometimes Deja Vu Serif E-Ink. I'm not really happy with any of the built-in fonts on a Kindle.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:56 AM   #12
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
so amazon spend a small fortune developing & promoting Bookerly for Kindles yet the font afficionados don't like it ?

where did they go wrong ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:01 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
so amazon spend a small fortune developing & promoting Bookerly for Kindles yet the font afficionados don't like it ?

It isn't that I don't like it, I just like some other fonts better.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:51 AM   #14
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
IMHO, you should dump the fonts that don't have all four font types. A font should have regular, bold, italic, and bold italic. Otherwise, it's not going to give you all the correct display. There are plenty of fonts that will work that have all four types.
There are occasions, which I've stated, when I don't want to display italic at all.

As to Bookerly, I don't like it. It's what I term a 'bobbly' font. I'm not refering to the serifs here, but to the ends of letters: there are some fonts, Bookerly is one, where the letters end with a small ball, giving a 'bobbly' appearance. These fonts distract me. Of the built-in kindle fonts, I prefer Caecilia to Bookerly because it has less noticeable 'bobbles'.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #15
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post

It doesn't look to me like they spent even a miniscule fortune on it. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest they got an unpaid intern to bodge something together over a weekend, but they sure didn't employ Frutiger for the job.

Google for a review of Bookerly and you'll get things like this:-
"The Kindle Finally Gets Typography That Doesn’t Suck"
https://www.fastcompany.com/3046678/...at-doesnt-suck

"Instapaper founder Marco Arment once lamented that the Kindle’s typography and layout engine was so bad, it felt like it only had a staff of one person “who’s only allowed to work on it for a few weeks each year.” That’s apparently not true: Amazon tells me that the Kindle team is significantly larger than just one dude, although they refuse to give exact numbers."

For me, I think it's the x-height that I particularly don't like in Bookerly.

I prefer and use Veleka and Charis SIL - I used ChareInk on my previous Sony Reader, so i'm biased to towards it.

Last edited by Coops; 01-14-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote