Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question about the Aura HD and shelves

I currently have a kobo Glo, and my biggest annoyance is that with 2200 books and about 200 shelves, it takes nearly two minutes to load the shelves list, every time. So click shelves, wait two minutes, open a shelf, decide against it, go back to shelves list, another two minutes, etc.

I'd like to know if the Aura is better in this regard? Because I am itching to upgrade, but this one issue has been my primary pet peeve with the device, and I'd like to get something that wouldn't keep trying to prevent me from enjoying reading.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Bearing in mind the firmware is the same it's likely to match, I can't say for definite as I have nowhere near that many shelves or books on mine!
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shame, shame... it's one of my biggest issues with the thing. Most of the other quirks I can deal with, but that slowdown impacts my reading, because I'm less likely to browse my library if I have to wait that long each time.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
I think the issue is number of shelves, not number of books. Now that I have only 10 pages of shelves, my Glo is a lot faster than it was when I had more. About 6-7 seconds.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
Doesn't the Aura have a little faster processor than glow and touch? Should take a little less time to load shelves but not significant difference.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmo View Post
Doesn't the Aura have a little faster processor than glow and touch? Should take a little less time to load shelves but not significant difference.
No. They both have 1 ghz processors.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:57 PM   #7
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
It is both number shelves and number of books AFAIK. A large shelf also slows it down.

It is a bit better than it was with newer firmware, so possibly it might get better

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
Kaitou Ace
Zealot

Shame.. I was hoping they'd learned how to cache data, or maybe optimize the code a bit. There's no reason for a modern device to have such issues.

Thanks a lot for the answers! Guess I should start looking at other devices again.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
It is both number shelves and number of books AFAIK. A large shelf also slows it down.

Helen
I find a different result. I reduced my number of shelves to 4 pages (28 shelves) and the time to open shelf view reduced to 3-4 seconds. Same number of books (actually I added a couple while I was in there) currently 1413 books on my Glo.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:29 PM   #10
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I find a different result. I reduced my number of shelves to 4 pages (28 shelves) and the time to open shelf view reduced to 3-4 seconds. Same number of books (actually I added a couple while I was in there) currently 1413 books on my Glo.
Sorry I miss-stated. It is number of shelves and number of books in individual shelf. Several large series for example 74 books will make a difference.

When I got my Mini I had 843 books and about 77 shelves. Was taking about 70 seconds to go to shelves IIRC.

I had 5 large shelves, One was a long series and 4 genre. Removing the 5 large shelves brought the time down to around 20 seconds. I still had a lot of shelves and the time to open shelf menu was reduced by about 65%.

Firmware 2.5.1 reduced the time to about 18 seconds.
I had 1800 books on the Aura and only one large shelf. Removing the one large shelf shaved about 15 seconds off the time. Doubling the number of shelves from 510 to 913 added about 55 seconds I think.

I'd be kind of thrilled with 3-4 seconds. But do I want only four shelves. Seems kind of useless except possibly for random book picking. I have 949 shelves on My Sony and it opens in about two seconds and has a back button that remembers the last place etc.

I would be interested in knowing just what shelves you are using and how it speeds up the book selection process on the reader (what I use shelves for).

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

I have 4 pages of shelves, 28 shelves in all. Due to the limitations we are discussing, I cut that down from over 10 pages (over 70 shelves). I don't use many author collections now. I have 7 shelves that are next in series for various genres, 8 shelves that are 1st in series various genres, 6 shelves that are labeled Non-series in various genres, 2 other genre shelves, 1 shelf of books to re-read, and 4 author shelves.

One of those shelves has 212 books on it, 1 has 112, 3 of them have over 50 but less than 100, the rest have under 50. (Some as few as 4 books on a shelf).

I find this system works pretty well, so that I can quickly choose what to read next. I did enjoy having author collections, but it wasn't worth the slowness. 3-4 seconds to load the shelves page is great. I'll have to keep it this way.

Remember this is for the Glo. I don't know how many shelves per page the Aura can display.

Oh and something else I just thought of....if it's a series book but not 1st or next in a series, and I want it on there, I just don't tag it for a shelf. So it's on there and I can bring it up in a search.

Last edited by booklover6; 08-26-2013 at 07:34 AM.