Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
Waterstones UK: Purchased my first book.

Hi everyone, just to let you all know I have purchased a book from Waterstones, just to try it out, and see what happens. This is just an account of what happened as it was the first time I have bought a legit eBook. You may or may not find this interesting.

I added it to my cart, and completed the purchase process and was presented with a download link. Just to note, I already had Adobe Digital Editions installed and registered to my Adobe ID.

I clicked the download link, and without any prompting, it opened up Digital Editions, with the book. I saw a very brief "Authorising Book" ,message, and then the book opened up on screen, looked very nice format wise. I clicked onto list view, and sure enough, the book was in my library. I checked the info of the book. :
Print Permissions : Not Allowed
Copy to Clipboard Permissions : Not allowed
Document Expiration : Unlimited

I connected my Reader via USB and sure enough, it appeared in the Bookshelves list. I selected the Novel (A Time to Die by Wilbur Smith) and dragged it over to the reader. The whole process was very quick and seamless.

I disconnected the Reader, waited for it to load, and went in to my Books List sorted by date, and sure enough, it was there. I clicked it and after a short pause, the book cover appeared. I am very impressed in how it all worked.

Some Notes. While I had the Waterstones Download link button showing, it said I could only download it once. However, I tried clicking the link multiple times, and it downloaded multiple copies of the book. Since going back into my Waterstones account page, the download link has gone.

Also, I tried to open the book up on another machine, with a different adobe ID, and it would not open (I did not expect it to, but I wanted to test).

Very happy with the process, and I personaly thought it was smooth, easy and I also thought that the ebook was a reasonable price (£5.49 compared with amazon.co.uk paperback price of £5.99), however I have also noticed that they seem to be advertising the fact that it is an ebook launch price, so the prices may go up.

Excellent.
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Thanks for sharing the info with us.

I wonder what is ebook's format? epub?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #3
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Thanks for sharing the info with us.

I wonder what is ebook's format? epub?
ebooks sold by Waterstones are epub with DRM ADE
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Hi halljames,

Thanks for the lowdown.

Not sure if it will work but here is a 15% discount code from Waterstones:

VM1911

Next person who is buying let us know if it works.

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi halljames. Glad that worked so smooth for you.

When I got my 505, back in January, I was really eager to download something. But I was about a quarter of the way through the paperback version of 'Angels and Demons' by Dan Brown and couldn't justify buying the eBook version....for about five seconds. I rationalized that I was about to leave on a trip and getting the eBook version would save me space. So I got and thoroughly enjoyed reading it and haven't touched a pBook since.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
winspiration
Connoisseur
winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.winspiration is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Kindle Fire HD
Interesting, thanks OP

I'm awaiting my reader within the next few days (too mean to pay for express delivery!), so haven't bought any books yet. I have had a good browse though, and have a few on my wishlist. I also have Adobe DE ready installed. Reassuring to know that it all went smoothly for you though.
winspiration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:21 AM   #7
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

Well.... apart from all the usual 64 bit issues of running a 64 bit OS ....

My experience was fairly painless as well apart from the fact that the reader hangs for about 5-10 seconds at the beginning of each chapter. It is really annoying.

Has anybody else found the same problem ?

Mark
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
C6REW
Connoisseur
C6REW has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis 1
Hi Mark,

Does it just do it when you start a book or for every chapter?

If it is doing it for every chapter then I reckon something is wrong, but I defer judgment to the folks on here who know more than me.

Regards

Chris
C6REW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps the book is using an embedded font for the chapter header; that will slow it down somewhat, but certainly not for 5 seconds.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by markiehill View Post
My experience was fairly painless as well apart from the fact that the reader hangs for about 5-10 seconds at the beginning of each chapter.
ADE does process ebooks one chapter at a time, so a small lag at the start of each chapter is to be expected but 5 seconds is a lot.

I suggest trying an ePub from feedbooks, anything with a reasonable chapter structure will do. If you like science fiction, then perhaps My Own Kind of Freedom, A Firefly Novel by Steven Brust. Feedbooks does not use embedded fonts, and they may be the problem. One free ePub that uses enbedded fonts is Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. I think I see more delay for this ebook than for the Brust using the Sony eBook Library viewer on my PC, but it is still very short.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 02:51 PM   #11
Red Penguin
Red Penguin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Regarding the above problem with ADE, don't buy QI's 'The Book of General Ignorance' unless you have a long time to burn. Since the book is a series of questions and answers each about 2-3 pages long and there is a new chapter for each question, navigating around or just reading the book takes an infuriatingly long time. It's especially annoying since it's meant to be a book to just pick up and flick through for a few questions.

So my first Waterstones purchase was not a success
Red Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
LesleyJ
Sony Fan
LesleyJ began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E Reader
Hi there. This is my first post, so hello to everyone! Like Halljames, I just received my 505 and am delighted so far. Just downloaded my first books from Waterstones and found the process quick and easy. Haven't yet got to grips with using Calibre, but I'll get there. Altogether a happy experience so far!
LesleyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #13
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi LesleyJ and welcome to the Forum. Enjoy your 505. I got one back in January and like it a lot.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:04 PM   #14
scgf
Connoisseur
scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scgf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Amazon PW 3 iPad Pro, iPhone 12 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Penguin View Post
Regarding the above problem with ADE, don't buy QI's 'The Book of General Ignorance' unless you have a long time to burn. Since the book is a series of questions and answers each about 2-3 pages long and there is a new chapter for each question, navigating around or just reading the book takes an infuriatingly long time. It's especially annoying since it's meant to be a book to just pick up and flick through for a few questions.

So my first Waterstones purchase was not a success
D'oh! Guess what my first purchase was!!!
scgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
markiehill
Connoisseur
markiehill doesn't littermarkiehill doesn't litter

my book was marcus chown Quantum Theory Cannot Hurt You, and I can confirm it does wait for around 5 seconds on my unit

Mark
markiehill is offline   Reply With Quote